Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Is Offering The Best Insurance Rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I changed to Geiko back in February because the rates were really good. Today I got mail from the DMV saying that I wasn't insured. Turns out, Geiko cancelled my insurance on all 3 of my cars back in March because one of the car's title is salvaged. WTF GEIKO! There was no communication whatsoever! We've been driving around for 2 months without any insurance!

I'm ****ing livid right now. They exposed me to hundreds of thousands of dollars of liability. I could have lost of my house! NEVER AGAIN GEIKO!

Had a similar annoyance with GEICO when I got my Model S in March. Or specifically GEICO.com as I'm not sure if there's a difference between purchasing online from their website vs going through one of their phone agents. In any case I purchased through GEICO.com as it was fully self-service like Progressive, got my printable ID cards, everything was fine, or so it seemed.

Two months later, I get a abrupt form letter claiming my insurance had been cancelled, because I'd not responded to their multiple requests for necessary important additional documentation (which I'd received NO e-mail or phone communications from them, nor any notification in my online account). It was a weekend and their front-line phone agents couldn't reach the backoffice to find out what documentation was missing.

As I didn't want to be driving the weekend without insurance coverage, I switched to Progressive, which was slightly more than GEICO but both much cheaper than my previous Allstate The following Monday, I called GEICO just to find out what critical information had been missing to warrant a full cancellation - they just wanted a photocopy of my current DMV registration for my car. For that they left me open to huge liability.

Anyway, will stick with Progressive until I get my Model 3 (California owner so hopefully by late Q1), and then get re-quotes for a two-Tesla family. May give GEICO another shot then, but certainly was very annoyed.

American Express when I used them, although check that things have not changed

VERY reputable, and fantastic customer service.
Just ignore all the follow-up junk mail inviting you to sit down with an Ameriprise financial advisor. They are the pits.
I figure that their car insurance business is a loss leader to sell you all the other garbage they offer.

Ameriprise and American Express split back in 2005, I was working for Ameriprise back then as a contractor and helped split their data networks. Ameriprise is a Minneapolis based insurance and financial planning company that has been around since 1894.

Two months later, I get a abrupt form letter claiming my insurance had been cancelled, because I'd not responded to their multiple requests for necessary important additional documentation (which I'd received NO e-mail or phone communications from them, nor any notification in my online account). It was a weekend and their front-line phone agents couldn't reach the backoffice to find out what documentation was missing.

The same exact thing happened to me a couple years ago when I bought my '75! Terrible experience! They asked me for a copy of my registration card after they had everything else for nearly a month. They gave me a couple weeks to send them a copy it. Ok, fine - no problem. A couple of days later, I got a cancellation notice! What a bunch of a-holes!

If you're not trying to bundle homeowner's and autos, like I'm trying to do, I can say that I'm currently getting quotes from Progressive, Wawanesa, and Ameriprise for between $1,150 - $1,300/6 months. That's for an '18 100D, and '17 Lexus ES350 (high-end Camry). Over 70 years, retired, avg. of 3 FICOs 830 (ya, some companies check FICOs), no claims, no tickets 10+ years, 91XXX zipcode. State Farm is looking for $560/month!!! (Must have gone nuts when they saw Elon smoking that blunt the other night.)

If you're not trying to bundle homeowner's and autos, like I'm trying to do, I can say that I'm currently getting quotes from Progressive, Wawanesa, and Ameriprise for between $1,150 - $1,300/6 months. That's for an '18 100D, and '17 Lexus ES350 (high-end Camry). Over 70 years, retired, avg. of 3 FICOs 830 (ya, some companies check FICOs), no claims, no tickets 10+ years, 91XXX zipcode. State Farm is looking for $560/month!!! (Must have gone nuts when they saw Elon smoking that blunt the other night.)

USAA $1,950/6 months.

You can get a bundle discount from Progressive, however the home insurance is from third party insurers. They quote about three choices for home; after I did that the auto went down another 5% or so and they pro-rate refund the difference for the current policy term.

Reactions: Sharkbait
Progressive: $1032 per year
Ameriprise through Costco: $1244 per year.

Both with the following coverage.
Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
$100,000 each accident
Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: No Coverage $0.00
Personal Injury Protection: No Coverage $0.00
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Rental Reimbursement: $40 each day
Roadside Assistance: No Coverage $0.00
Loan/Lease Payoff: No Coverage $0.00

Progressive: $1032 per year
Ameriprise through Costco: $1244 per year.

Both with the following coverage.
Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
$100,000 each accident
Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: No Coverage $0.00
Personal Injury Protection: No Coverage $0.00
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Rental Reimbursement: $40 each day
Roadside Assistance: No Coverage $0.00
Loan/Lease Payoff: No Coverage $0.00

Wow, crazy...progressive is quoting me the same amount for 6 months!