Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Is Offering The Best Insurance Rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the CA department of insurance to make sure anyone you select is an admitted carrier in the state. And their rating. I went with Wawanesa. Significantly less than what I was paying Mercury for our 4 cars. And they write a 1 year policy. So no increase after 6 months.

I use MetroMile (per mile insurance). I have an 85D and pay $242.06/6-months ($1.33/day) and $0.062/mile. This is for the max coverage they offer ($250k/$500k, $500 deductible). To insure 2 daily-driven cars + 2 non-driven cars it's about $200/month (depends on how much you drive). It might not make sense for those that drive alot (although they do have a max miles they will charge you in a day).

The company makes alot of sense for people like me who have to insure cars that don't really get driven. To compare, I was quoted almost 4x as much as I pay now with almost every other insurance company, normal insurance companies don't really have a way to account for 1 driver with more than one car.

Yep. We had AAA (ACSC) for over 25 years. A great insurance company and really took care of us in a few accidents that weren't our fault. Unfortunately, they like to keep their portfolio low risk and low cost, by quoting sky high rates for Tesla's and other high value cars. Also, when my daughter turned 16 they might have well just dropped us, given the quote. We end up with GEICO. It was easy, cheap, and a great experience. No claims to compare, but very reasonable rate. 1/3 of AAA with my daughter on the plan.

Kept meaning to add my results...

Coverage:

1. Bodily Injury - 100,000 / 300,000
2. Property Damage - 100,000
3. Medical Payments - 10,000
4. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury - 100,000 / 300,000
5. Deductibles:
a. Comprehensive - 1,000
b. Collision - 1,000

Vehicles:

2012 Altima - 10,000 mi/yr (10mi/weekday for work)
2015 Model S - 8,000 mi/yr (pleasure only)

2 drivers, 12 years licensed, 0 infractions/accidents/etc

Quotes:

State Farm: $2,878/yr
Progressive: $1,914/yr
Geico: $1,907/yr
Wawanesa: $1,873/yr
CSAA Insurance Exchange (Northern CA AAA): $1,793/yr
USAA: $1,740/yr

Mercury/Safeco/Progressive/others-i-don't-remember via broker were $3,900+ (didn't ask for break down by market)
In fact, my broker was dumbfounded by the rates (especially AAA) per his experience. However, he said if whichever I choose is approved that obviously I should go with that for a >=$2,000/yr savings.

I've been lazy and haven't tried calling Ameriprise yet (only one that I couldn't do electronically).

Last edited:
Hi Wizputer,

Ameriprise is actually Costco-Ameriprise offered through Costco. So if you are a member you should be able save even more than what you indicated from the other carriers. On top of that they provide additional services free of charge, i.e. roadside assistance and home lockout service. It was quick and easy over the phone.

Here's an additional thought. If you combine your Auto, Homeowners and Umbrella policies with most carriers there will be an additional savings. Thus, this could be a good opportunity for you to evaluate all your coverage, save money and receive a refund from your current provider for the remaining coverage period.
Monymgr

I can't seem to get any quotes under $1500 per year.
I'm 31 in the Bay Area, no accidents, drive about 10k average yearly.

Geico was the best.
Coverage Limits
Bodily Injury Liability (BI)
$30,000/$60,000
Property Damage Liability (PD) $25,000
Medical Payments (MED) Not Included
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist $30,000/$60,000
Comprehensive (COMP)
2016 TESLA S 85KWH $500 deductible
Collision (COLL)
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
2016 TESLA S 85KWH Not Included
Emergency Road Service (ERS)
Rental Reimbursement (RR)

I can't seem to get any quotes under $1500 per year.
I'm 31 in the Bay Area, no accidents, drive about 10k average yearly.

Geico was the best.
Coverage Limits
Bodily Injury Liability (BI)
$30,000/$60,000
Property Damage Liability (PD) $25,000
Medical Payments (MED) Not Included
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist $30,000/$60,000
Comprehensive (COMP)
Collision (COLL)
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
Emergency Road Service (ERS)
Rental Reimbursement (RR)

$30k/60k liability is dangerously low and not advised.

Shine,
SubSolar is absolutely correct that the coverage you are looking for is to low! You are also correct that you need to get off your parents coverage. At 31 years old, you might actually be on a different policy than your parents, but the cost is billed to them. Take a look at Wizputer's listed coverage above. That should be the minimum coverage you should consider. My coverage is listed at the top of this thread costs me $1,247 for 6 months through Costco's Ameriprise Insurance. Ask your parents for their auto policy coverage page and Costco card and give Ameriprise a call and see what they can do for you and them.

Last edited:
Shinne,
If you are a member of Costco check out Costco's Ameriprise insurance. The discount given will beat almost everyone's. In fact I couldn't find any accredited insurance company who was lower. On top of that, I just received my renewal from them and there was no rate increase. Check them out.

I just checked out the Costco Ameriprise website and they don't even list Tesla in their drop down menu.. Did you have to email them for a quote or did they possibly drop Tesla coverage ? My Model S is due soon so I'm trying to compare it to my current policy.

Someone backed into my car last week. The closest shop in 1.5 hours away from me (and then 3 hours for the next). I called the shop and was told they won't take my insurance (Geico). Luckily since it wasn't my fault I will use their insurance company (State Farm). Geico is so much cheaper for me than anyone else but it does give me pause.

GG

I use Ameriprise through Costco and its $620 for 6 months. No accidents or tickets in 6 years. They easily beat everyones quote. Esurance, All State, Geico, ect.

2015 Tesla MODEL S
Liability coverages Limits Premium
Bodily Injury Limits. $100,000/$300,000. $163
Property Damage Limit. $100,000. Included
Medical expenses. $5,000. Included
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Limits. $100,000/$300,000. $34.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Limits. I accept. $5
Collision Coverage & Deductibles. $1,000 $318
Comprehensive Coverage & Deductibles$100. $87
Rental Reimbursement $30/$900 $13
Car coverage total: $620
Wow, that is significantly lower than the quote that I just received from Ameriprise through Costco. My quote for similar coverage was $1218 for 6 months.
Mercury is currently at $879 for 6 months with $1000 deductibles (will not go lower on deductibles for a Tesla, for some reason). I haven't checked others yet, but the Mercury quote was through my insurance broker, so I'm guessing they've already checked the other non-captive insurance companies.

Just got a quote from statefarm. For a model 60 it was $155 a month. Roughly $1800 a year for 250,000/500,000 coverage. I have no accidents or tickets on my record. Car is for 1 driver with 10,000 miles yearly. $500 deductible. The numbers are not 100% yet since I do not have the vin for my car (hasnt arrived yet).

Discounts applied
Multiple Line, Driver Safety Record, California Good Driver, Multicar, Loyalty, Drive Safe & Save

Going to give costcos auto insurance a call to get a quote as im not sure if this is a good price or not.

If anyone needs a statefarm agent,
(818) 949-4403 ask for Maria. I have been using her for years and she is very honest and knowledgeable.

If anyone wants to chime in on their opinion I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to stick with statefarm since they have always been top notch. Ill update with a quote from costco

I finally got the actual policy printout from Allstate since I'm getting my car this week. Although I got a quote of $1270 for 6 months from them, it is actually much less than that. To replace my mini cooper S in the policy, it is only an increase of $159.

With 2 cars (including the Tesla) in the policy, I'm getting $925 discount (Safe Driving Club, Homeowner, Responsible Payer, Allstate eSmart, Multi Policy, New Car, Anti-theft, etc). Comes to a final total of $1208 for 6 months for 2 cars. Pretty good deal.

GEICO was the most reasonable that I could find at $1341/yr.
Still have Allstate for the home & two other cars and got a quote from them for the identical coverage noted below and after combined discounts, they wanted $2250/yr.

Coverage:
1. Bodily Injury - 100,000 / 300,000
2. Property Damage - 50,000
3. Medical Payments - 2,000
4. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury - 100,000 / 300,000
5. Deductibles:
a. Comprehensive - 500
b. Collision - 500

Vehicle:
CPO 2014 Model S P85+ ... 6,000 mi/yr (pleasure only) ... delivered 10/1/2016
Zip code - 91350
2 drivers (M/F), 25+ years licensed, 0 infractions/accidents/etc

Last edited:
I am getting quotes for a CPO P85, so its a little different than folks here, but I will put in my data:

Coverage: 100/300/100, 100/300 uninsured motorist, $500 deductible. I have a good driving record, with no tickets or accidents, but I do commute 80 miles round trip daily (that one's the rate killer)

Ameriprise (Costco): $1284 for 6-months ($2568 for the year) (car only, no discounts for home/multiple vehicles, etc)
AAA (my current insurance company): $1273 for 6-months ($2547 for the year) (Includes discounts for my homeowners, etc.)

Either way, it will be a significant increase for me. Our Audi S4 costs $1557 for the year, so the Model S will be a full $1000 more a year. I think the "P" badge may have something to do with that.