Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Is Offering The Best Insurance Rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with insurance by Metromile? My quote for my 2013 S was around $60/month, + 9.4 cents/mile. A savings of at least $700 over my current State Farm. Driving less than 5K miles/year since moving to CA. Wife insists she has to have an X now that she's the primary driver (I take a bus to work). Thinking of switching insurance at the same time. Are they reputable? Any claims handling experience? Thanks.

I insure with Amica, and was happy to find out that they offer a $5,000 deductible option on their Comp&Coll, that I have elected for my new Prius Prime plug-in.

So it works out this way (all cars with 1M/300k liability for people/property, and uninsured motorist)
$200 a year for the LEAF
$300 a year for the Prime with the above mentioned additional C&C

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Progressive is great for me. I have a $102k sticker 90D, and 1 year in, I'm at $773 / 6mo for

100/300/50
100/300 UM
$1k deductibles

Also getting Home insurance bundled with them, which includes a discount. Seems comparable to the Mercury quote above although the tchockie seems to be getting a much better BI/PD coverage. However, I just went to the Mercury website, and they don't even have Tesla on the list of vehicles to choose from and it didn't recognize my VIN....so I suspect you would have to call to get a quote.

I use Ameriprise through Costco and its $620 for 6 months. No accidents or tickets in 6 years. They easily beat everyones quote. Esurance, All State, Geico, ect.

2015 Tesla MODEL S
Liability coverages Limits Premium
Bodily Injury Limits. $100,000/$300,000. $163
Property Damage Limit. $100,000. Included
Medical expenses. $5,000. Included
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Limits. $100,000/$300,000. $34.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Limits. I accept. $5
Collision Coverage & Deductibles. $1,000 $318
Comprehensive Coverage & Deductibles$100. $87
Rental Reimbursement $30/$900 $13
Car coverage total: $620
Ameriprise was also the best quote I was able to find. Mine differs as follows.

2016 Tesla S 90D
15K miles/year
BI Limit 250/500
Collision/Comprehensive deductible $500.

$755/6 months.

Last edited:
I changed to Geiko back in February because the rates were really good. Today I got mail from the DMV saying that I wasn't insured. Turns out, Geiko cancelled my insurance on all 3 of my cars back in March because one of the car's title is salvaged. WTF GEIKO! There was no communication whatsoever! We've been driving around for 2 months without any insurance!

I'm ****ing livid right now. They exposed me to hundreds of thousands of dollars of liability. I could have lost of my house! NEVER AGAIN GEIKO!

• Disagree
Reactions: whttiger25
I went from an Audi A5 to a 70D.

I was with AAA and they wanted 3x more insurance wise for the Tesla vs the Audi.

I qualify for USAA and if you do as well I highly recommend you look into them.

I am paying less for my Tesla with USAA than I was with my A5 with AAA. I also have double the coverage.

Also moved my home and earthquake to them once I was with them for a bit. Basically left AAA completely.

Has been incredible customer service. Even have a 0% no interest CC with them now as well.

USAA is a great insurance company but not typically the cheapest rates. What I like about USAA beyond the excellent customer service is that they offer extremely high levels of coverage - beyond the usual 250/500. I pay $2400/yr for my new Tesla but with very high coverage limits.

I am a fan of high liability limits and then considerable self-insurance of my car.
Amica has been tremendous (and considerably better than USAA in rates, as good in customer service), but they require a clean driving record.

My $1M liability policy costs $15 - $20 a month for each of our LEAF and Prius Prime cars, and another $10 a month for Comp on the Prime with a $5,000 deductible. One of the nice things about buying *EVs is that the deductible is covered in the event of a total loss ;-)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lodo1000
I read an article about auto insurance here the Best Auto Insurance Policy which helps me to take insurance.

My wife is currently insured with GEICO on a 2012 HyundaI Elantra that we are selling to Carmax for $8500. The updated policy with GEICO replacing the Hyundai Elantra with the 2017 Model 3 resulted in an increase in premium of $25 / 6 months. FYI, my wife has an unblemished record with no accidents or claims.

Are any of you tesla owners having any luck with a reasonable rates for tesla insurance in california? I'm shopping for A tesla and checked with my insurance company and was quoted at $4200 year for 2012 or 2013 model S. I have no moving violations been with AAA for over 15 years. have multiple cars and house on policy. I was not aware of the tesla being listed so high?
Any recommends ffrom california folks would be grateful.
cheers

AAA in California is dreadful. Twice as much as GEICO.

GEICO is the best. I am insuring a 2015 Model S P90D ($142K original purchase price) and a 2017 Model 3 ($60K purchase price, new) for $2,000 / year.

I have all possible discounts, and same coverage with AAA would be $4,000 / year.

To get the best quote, get all possible discounts:

Car Insurance Discounts And Reductions In Premium | GEICO®

• Helpful
Reactions: Lodo1000
You might give Ameriprise a try, particularly if you are a Costco member ($50 discount).

A lot of factors come into play. I'm paying around $500 for 6 months for my 2016 MS 90D. 7,500 miles/yr. High coverage limits. No other cars/house on the policy.

Last edited:
I insure with Amica, and was happy to find out that they offer a $5,000 deductible option on their Comp&Coll, that I have elected for my new Prius Prime plug-in.

So it works out this way (all cars with 1M/300k liability for people/property, and uninsured motorist)
$200 a year for the LEAF
$300 a year for the Prime with the above mentioned additional C&C
Sorry, I have to correct an error:

The Prime has the additional Comp; no collision

I’ve not heard of Ameriprise? Have you ever had to use them for anything?
American Express when I used them, although check that things have not changed

VERY reputable, and fantastic customer service.
Just ignore all the follow-up junk mail inviting you to sit down with an Ameriprise financial advisor. They are the pits.
I figure that their car insurance business is a loss leader to sell you all the other garbage they offer.