Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is still on v8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still on v8.1 and have not made up my mind about updating before the deadline. Having mixed feelings with the latest version (some features I would like, some not so much) I would absolutely hate being “crippled” by chargegate even though I rarely supercharge. The occasional family road trip would take significantly longer.
I anticipate a direct impact to my daily commute due to less regen in the cold months given the heightened sensitivity to low temperatures. On the other hand, I would hate to loose APP connectivity (I use preheat a lot and I am also running a logger application).
So, I’m really torn on this and am as of yet undecided on what to do.

I am on v8.1 2018.34 and perfectly happy with it.
Not going to update, the downsides far outweighs the loss of connectivity for me.
If Tesla considers this a safety issue, they need to tell me, until that happens I am fine with what I currently have.
I realise that sooner or later some service issue will probably force the issue.

I am on v8.1 2018.34 and perfectly happy with it.
Not going to update, the downsides far outweighs the loss of connectivity for me.
If Tesla considers this a safety issue, they need to tell me, until that happens I am fine with what I currently have.
I realise that sooner or later some service issue will probably force the issue.

I have a feeling that if you take it in to service after the deadline, they may give you two options

(1) They won't service the vehicle,
(2) They need you to update to the latest version in order to service the vehicle.

Just playing worse case scenario.

I'm on 18.36.2 (the last 8.1) and have no intention of upgrading as I don't want to lose access to the gateway, and of course because of BatteryGate. (surely there's a solution for that, if someone would look into it) If you want to move higher sorka, I've done an article.

I was tempted to go to 10 as some knowledgeable people tell me they're happy with it, but finally decided against this 'Firmware Envy'.

I don't care if Tesla goes to websocket, I don't need them and have thoroughly blocked their access. I'm in the process of revamping a set of scripts and plan to do a deep dive article on them soon. And I plan to set up Lunar's nikola phone app as well, which should have all the functionality of Tesla's, except I am in complete control.

As an open-sourcer I just have never liked the idea of going through somebody else's servers for anything. What are they up to, anyway? Why do they need in my business? We can't know. It's not a technical necessity, in fact it's a faff for them.

PS - It's hard for me to believe that they're actually going to turn off OpenVPN in the near future. Lots of their anointed customers still use it.

Last edited:
Tesla sent everyone NOT on v10 an email saying they needed to update by May 1st and that if they didn't, the "MAY" lose connectivity. I'm still intrigued by the "may" part.
I have a car with v10 (2019.32.12.3) and got the same message, both in the car and via email. I also have a newer car with 2020.8.3, but I assume the email message did not pertain to that car. The message stated to update to 2019.40.2.3 or later by May 1st.

Last edited:
I'm on 18.36.2 (the last 8.1) and have no intention of upgrading as I don't want to lose access to the gateway, and of course because of BatteryGate. (surely there's a solution for that, if someone would look into it) If you want to move higher sorka, I've done an article.

I was tempted to go to 10 as some knowledgeable people tell me they're happy with it, but finally decided against this 'Firmware Envy'.

I don't care if Tesla goes to websocket, I don't need them and have thoroughly blocked their access. I'm in the process of revamping a set of scripts and plan to do a deep dive article on them soon. And I plan to set up Lunar's nikola phone app as well, which should have all the functionality of Tesla's, except I am in complete control.

As an open-sourcer I just have never liked the idea of going through somebody else's servers for anything. What are they up to, anyway? Why do they need in my business? We can't know. It's not a technical necessity, in fact it's a faff for them.

PS - It's hard for me to believe that they're actually going to turn off OpenVPN in the near future. Lots of their anointed customers still use it.

Do you think supercharging will still work after may 1st?

Do you think supercharging will still work after may 1st?

That's an interesting thought. At a minimum you likely wouldn't be able to see site availability. If you were on pay-per-use Supercharging I would say you wouldn't be able to Supercharger because your car couldn't connect to Tesla to bill you. (Of course maybe Tesla never considered that with the old versions and allows Supercharging even without contact for cases where LTE is unreachable, and it just buffers it on the MCU to submit on next contact. They could end up with "free" Supercharging.) But FUSC might not be an issue. (Which most of the cars with old firmware should have.)

Of course that would also mean your car wouldn't be reporting stall usage which could cause the site availability numbers to be wrong. (Or maybe Tesla is finally having the sites report usage directly.)

I have a feeling that if you take it in to service after the deadline, they may give you two options

(1) They won't service the vehicle,
(2) They need you to update to the latest version in order to service the vehicle.

Just playing worse case scenario.

Yeah well, since I am out of regular warranty I might go 3rd party for service anyway.
Still have the 8 year battery and drivetrain warranty, so if those fail I guess I will just have to bite the bullet.

Just received a text message from my SC letting me know that a "A mandatory update is required in order to maintain your vehicles compatibility with the Tesla connectivity network. As a goodwill gesture, we will be sending the firmware update to you over LTE...."
I'm still on 2019.16.1.1, not voltage capped nor slow at the super chargers. I'm just afraid I will be hit by both of them as there is a chance the voltage capping happened immediately following my update. There were a couple of firmware updates within a few days of each other.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this thread is about people still on v8.

Last edited:
If you update, that gives Tesla plausible deniability to the changes they made. There will be no way to compare before and after to validate that the changes they made were legal and valid. Depending on what Tesla claims in court, the NHTSA may not have the ammunition to hold Tesla’s feet to the flame.
If they say that battery degradation is to blame for everyone’s claims, then the people who haven’t updated to v10 can unanimously say that it false. But if it’s one or two cars, that’s weak evidence. If 10 or 20, that’s stronger evidence.

Take one for the team guys and hold on the update. There are ways around the threats Tesla is making. After the NHTSA investigation they won’t have a lot of wind in their sail to be much of a threat.

If I could go back to v8 I would.

They are also trying to scare people into willingly updating now, because the Clas sAction suit against them cites several hacking laws they broke every time they forced updates onto people who didn't click update themselves. Batterygate was the first time Tesla made their engineers remote in to hack people, and they don't want to get caught. V8 was easier to wireshark incoming connections and log them for the courts, and by now a couple cars are waiting to record evidence.

It won't be long now before we find out what happens (if anything) on May 1st.
I received this friendly reminder on the APP this morning:
updatenote.jpg

I will wait and see what happens. I guess if connected services are lost and I find it too annoying I could always arrange for a SeC visit to get the update installed as a chargeable service.

It won't be long now before we find out what happens (if anything) on May 1st.
I received this friendly reminder on the APP this morning:
View attachment 537384
I will wait and see what happens. I guess if connected services are lost and I find it too annoying I could always arrange for a SeC visit to get the update installed as a chargeable service.
Elon should have used his tweet-marketing tricks, announce that supercharging and all connectivity will no longer work unless you upgrade, that an upgrade before May 1st is free, in May upgrades will cost $200, in June $400, In July $800, and any time after that $1,250 or $2,500 for a MCU2 when it becomes available. A new referral bonus will get you a free, transferable upgrade. Watch a wave of people upgrade to save money. ;)

PS> Like every other Tesla deadline, you have to give it a few days at least. I wouldn't conclude anything if nothing changes right on May 1st, May 10th maybe.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Still on V8. (2018.34)
Not going to update unless I can't stand missing the app functions.
I haven't done any road trips since this all started, but I just cannot deal with the interface. My most used controls while driving are map +, -, and climate off; all of which need extra touches to get to.