TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who is still upgrading to Ludicrous in their P85D after hearing Drag times?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Scott Rand, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Scott Rand

Scott Rand Member

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

If Tesla doesn't answer any of the emails i sent to them about the 1/4 mile times for the P85D I will not be doing the upgrade.

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

What does hearing drag times mean? If you are going to start a new (potential 40 page) thread it would seem like you'd want to be clear.

4. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

What happened in drag times.? Ie what are you talking about?

5. Scott Rand

Scott Rand Member

I meant 1/4 mile times.

6. JER

JER Member

Compared to claimed improvements, the car underperformed relative to its predecessor. http://www.dragtimes.com/Tesla--Model-S-Drag-Racing.html

Anyone getting [FONT=&quot]déjà[/FONT]-vu? :wink:

7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

In short, Tesla's marketing says P90D in Ludicrous mode will do the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds. To-date with current software the fastest recorded time on strip is 11.384 seconds, so there's at least .4-.5 seconds behind the stated 1/4 mile time. P85D's have achieved 11.6 in the quarter mile, giving the .2 second improvement on the P85D's almost to the same level as the current P90D

8. yo mama

yo mama Member

#8 yo mama, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    99.9% chance I upgrade just to spite the whiners. The worst thing that happens is that I spend some cash I was going to spend anyways. Call me a Tes-loptimist but I believe it will be faster. I also believe this is part of the frustrating price we have to pay for the privilege of driving a spaceship. To infinity - and beyond!

9. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

I never do quarter mile runs.

I do hope that roll-on, or burst, accelerations will still test out as solid improvements. Is there a chance that 50-80mph would be faster, if you weren't flat out from 0-50? If what a couple other people are saying, about fuses and power limits potentially being a product of acceleration's duration, than there is room to believe Ludicrous might do better when driving normally. I think we're testing for that, too? Do bracketed tests, from steady speeds, add up to lower times? That would be more "real world", for me.

Need more numbers.

10. DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ Member

I've put down my deposit.

11. yak-55

yak-55 Member

Not until there are multiple reports of real world owners achieving the claimed times ... and I can test drive an upgraded P85DL myself. To date, the upgrade is still vaporware.

12. cynix

cynix Member

That may not be possible before the 6-month discount window expires.

13. yo mama

yo mama Member

LOL. I suspect that's one deadline that *won't* be subject to Tesla time.

14. yak-55

yak-55 Member

Perhaps. But if Tesla wants (more of) my money, they need to demonstrate good faith. "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice ..."

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I can't, having a P85+, and I wouldn't. I love the incredible acceleration. But honestly, I simply do not use it enough to pay THAT much money to upgrade. In my real world, the passing power and occasional launch of my car really does suit me just fine. I am just a fast driver who does not track. I was temped at first. But then I realized...Just how far am I willing to go?!? More power to those that will use it and love it! Have a damn blast!!!!

16. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Same here. For nearly $8k it seems a minimal performance increase. As it is, the P85D is an incredible piece of engineering. What other car can do 0-60 in around 3s and go on to 1/4 mile in 11.6 or so AND weigh nearly 5000lbs?. Answer - none. Maybe there's some future software update which might unlock the real potential of the new "smart" fuse assembly (1800 amps?)...who knows? That said, we were promised such a thing for free originally which didn't transpire, except for the 0-60 time. It's hard to predict what Tesla may or may not do in the future. Given their past record to date, they've lost some of my trust I'm afraid.

17. tstafford

tstafford Member

I was 100% committed to doing it when I believed it would essentially replicate the current, published P90DL performance. I understood there might be a slight performance hit for having a P85DL but I was okay with that. I plunked down my $500 on day one that the product was listed in the on-line store.

Now however I am in the wait and see camp. I'll be pissed if I lose the $500 but I'm not going to tie my decision to that - sunk cost. The current description in the shopping site makes no sense to me. I don't understand how the 0-60 and QM times can both be 0.2 seconds faster. Of course I understand the math, but it makes no logical sense that that could be the case.

My main goal is better passing power. If there is a demonstrable improvement there, I'll buy the upgrade. If not, I won't.

18. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I have the deposit down and will probably go through with it. My assumption is there will be further software refinements in the future that will need L and I don't want to miss my 6mo window to join that club. Also 0-60 matters the most to me anyways.

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Upgrade ordered.

20. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

I was going to upgrade, but I have kicked the can down the road a bit to see the true performance improvements. I hope we get at least .2 secs to 60, and at least .6 seconds on the quarter. Otherwise, insane is just fine.

Can save the $7500 for my upcoming Model III. ;-)