Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is still upgrading to Ludicrous in their P85D after hearing Drag times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how is it possible that the p90d time is faster and the speed is lower at 1/4 mile?
If it was faster to 60 but then slower from there on, it could reach the end in a faster time, yet at a slower trap speed. The P85D has a slower trap speed than basically any ICE car that runs 11.6. This is due to its incredible low end, but lesser top end. This should have been evident to anyone before they bought their car. I doubt that this is really going to be an accurate measure of the P90DL performance. I highly doubt that it is slower above 60 than the P85D, which is what these times would suggest.

Yo,
Gladly but I hardly think I will be in your way all the way over here on the East coast :)
It was more of a general comment about working my way up the list. I suspect that the recent spate of not-so-positive rumors and snippets have killed some folks' motivation to upgrade. I'm just morbidly curious how many people above me on the list fall into that camp.

I would also like to know if changing the fuse and contactors has any effect (positive or negative) on the time it takes for the car to get power limited. I understand you need to drive the car hard/fast to test this but quite some people are looking to upgrade to get better acceleration at higher speed. If after a couple of seconds you are limited to 240 kW anyway, the benefit of the upgrade will be small.

I guess it's possible that the upgrade would have better instantaneous burst for a few seconds. Which may explain the butt dyno response. When rolling from 30 or 50, ludicrous upgrade could provide much more current even for a few seconds for improved passing power. This data may be lost on 1/4 mile run where the power has already been throttled by the time the car reaches 60-70.

Forgive me if this had already been linked, but I hadn't seen it. This is a P85D insane vs a P90D Luddy. The P85D gets the jump but the P90DL reels him in similar to what we have been seeing with some of the higher powered ICE cars. This seems to bode very well for the P90DL (and hopefully the P85DL retrofits). I wish we had the reverse angle to see how far back the P90DL was and how well he reeled him in. Still, if they had the same start, it would have been a significant kill for the P90DL.

Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous vs P85D Insane Race - YouTube

Forgive me if this had already been linked, but I hadn't seen it. This is a P85D insane vs a P90D Luddy. The P85D gets the jump but the P90DL reels him in similar to what we have been seeing with some of the higher powered ICE cars. This seems to bode very well for the P90DL (and hopefully the P85DL retrofits). I wish we had the reverse angle to see how far back the P90DL was and how well he reeled him in. Still, if they had the same start, it would have been a significant kill for the P90DL.

This video has been posted and discussed in other thread(s). If I recall correctly, for the most part the conclusions in the other thread(s) were that it took the P90D with Ludicrous far too long to close the gap, and people were questioning that.

I'll see if I can find at least one of the threads and come back and edit this post if I do.

Edit: It's posted here. Some discussion follows. Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video - Page 9

The race starts at 10 seconds of the video, and it's not until the video is at 23 seconds that the P90D pulls even to the P85D. Takes about 13 seconds.

Had that been a quarter mile race, and the P85D had gotten that slight of a jump on the P90D Ludicrous, the P85D would have won that race. A P85D takes about 11.5-11.6 seconds to cover the quarter. It took the P90D Ludicrous 13 seconds to catch up.

In my mind, if it's that close of a race with such a slight jump, then all one might need in a P85D, would be to cut a better light and/or a better 60ft time to have a shot against a P90D Ludicrous in a quarter mile drag race.

Sure, cutting a better light will win an otherwise close race. I thought the biggest gripe against the P85D was falling on its face at higher speeds??? The P90DL seems to pass the P85D at these higher speeds in this video with similar authority that other ICE cars do, therefore fixing the "problem" with the P85D.

I guess it's possible that the upgrade would have better instantaneous burst for a few seconds. Which may explain the butt dyno response. When rolling from 30 or 50, ludicrous upgrade could provide much more current even for a few seconds for improved passing power. This data may be lost on 1/4 mile run where the power has already been throttled by the time the car reaches 60-70.

If that's the case, I'd probably be ok with that. All I'm really after is improved highway passing speed.

Sure, cutting a better light will win an otherwise close race. I thought the biggest gripe against the P85D was falling on its face at higher speeds??? The P90DL seems to pass the P85D at these higher speeds in this video with similar authority that other ICE cars do, therefore fixing the "problem" with the P85D.

That's the point. It shouldn't be that close if the P90D Ludicrous is a 10.9 second car.

If it were a 10.9 second car, then it would have put at least 3-4 cars on the P85D inside of 13 seconds.

In other words, if this had been a drag race on a track, the P85D owner would have been well within reason to ask the P90D Ludicrous driver to spot him 4 cars if he truly felt that he was racing a 10.9 second car. And the race would have been over inside of 12 seconds.

The second part of the "gripe" against the P90D Ludicrous, and whether or not the "shortcoming" of highway passing power has been remedied with Ludicrous, is the trap speeds of the P90D Ludicrous. Which aren't more than 1-2mph greater than the current P85D, from the actual drag strip results that we've seen so far.

Based on how long that video took, both cars were traveling at around 120 mph when the P90D Ludicrous finally did pass the P85D. In other words, after 13 seconds of 100% accelerator pedal, both would have been traveling at least 120 mph.

If it takes that long for the P90D Ludicrous to execute a pass with that small of a jump, then that's troublesome.

Furthermore, it might do that to the P85D, but the P85D is hardly the most capable car from a highway roll that the P90D will encounter on the road.

That's the point. It shouldn't be that close if the P90D Ludicrous is a 10.9 second car.

If it were a 10.9 second car, then it would have put at least 3-4 cars on the P85D inside of 13 seconds.

The second part of the "gripe" against the P90D Ludicrous, and whether or not the "shortcoming" of highway passing power has been remedied with Ludicrous, is the trap speeds of the P90D Ludicrous. Which aren't more than 1-2mph greater than the current P85D, from the actual drag strip results that we've seen so far.

Based on how long that video took, both cars were traveling at around 120 mph when the P90D Ludicrous finally did pass the P85D. In other words, after 13 seconds of 100% accelerator pedal, both would have been traveling at least 120 mph.

If it takes that long for the P90D Ludicrous to execute a pass with that small of a jump, then that's troublesome.

Furthermore, it might do that to the P85D, but the P85D is hardly the most capable car from a highway roll that the P90D will encounter on the road.

There was no reverse angle. You can't tell how big the jump was.

There was no reverse angle. You can't tell how big the jump was.

But we know that it wasn't anywhere near 4 cars.

Also, in fact we can get an idea.

Scrub the video to 10 seconds and immediately stop it.

Take note of the valve stem of the rear driver side tire of the P90D Ludicrous. It will be in the 1:00 position.

As quickly as you can, start and stop the video again.

Pay attention to the valve stem of the P90D's rear driver side tire, and the instant that you see it move, immediately stop the video and note the position of the two cars. If you're quick, you can make the stem rotate from the 1:00 position to the 12 or even 11:00 position and freeze the video there.

How much space would you estimate is between the two cars, or how much of a lead do you think the P85D has at the point when that valve stem makes it to the 12:00 position, or the 11:00 position, from the 1:00 position. Not very much.

Before the timer on the video hits 11 seconds, you will notice that the valve stem of the rear driver's side tire of the P90D Ludicrous has rotated toward the 12:00-11:00 position. And at that point, the P85D has very little advantage. We know that the P90D moved, because the valve stem moved.

Incidentally, you can do this same thing, using one of the blades in the P90D's rear driver's side turbine wheels as a point of reference. Pick a blade and line it up on your screen with a point of reference. The instant you see one of the blades move, pause the video and note the position of the cars.

So we know that the P90D Ludicrous moved very soon after the P85D did. And furthermore, we know that the lead wasn't that great. We can tell that by noting the position of the two cars, after the first perceived movement of the valve stem.

Last edited: