Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is the OEM for the backup camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging this up again... @artsci do know the sensor part number from Omnivision?

I ask due to this article with reference to the sensor being used in the Jetson 2 dev kit: JetPack 2.3 Doubles Jetson TX1 Deep Learning Inference Performance which indicates the Omnivision OV5693 is not RGB raw, rather YCbCr420 and that likely means it might be readable as hdmi 2.0 mode 2-compatible

I may have the part number but it's not for the camera -- for that there's only a Tesla part number. But i'm in Europe until Sunday and can't look up any records I have have filed about the sensor. If I find anything when I return I'll post it.

This likely doesn't help, but here are photos from the newer model camera. There's nothing on the camera body, just this Tesla label with the Tesla PN and serial.
label1.png
label2.png

Did some research :)

There's at least 4 (four) different revisions of Teslas backup camera (BUC). First, you have 3 variants that all look the same, PNs:
1006773-00-D
1006773-00-E
1006773-00-F

Not sure what differentiates them (might be humble things like mounting, connector, waterproofing). Anyway you can get the latest "F"-revision through Tesla or on Amazon - link.

After studying the camera details on this site, I figured out that the manufacturer of these cameras must be a company named SMK:
SMK Electronics to Introduce Auto Industry’s First 1 Megapixel High Definition Camera Solution for Automotive Vision Systems at CES 2013
1MP NTSC Camera Module For Automotive Applications

Featured_Product_Banner_2017.jpg

Finally you have the new BUC installed in all Teslas since ca. July 2016 (came with facelift MS), so a few months before AP2 was announced in october. PN:
1061269-00-B
This one has a protruding lens / "neck" and a built in heating element. The CMOS sensor is OV10635, which seems to support "tandem" vision and sensing (necessary for AP2, I guess).

Other than that, the new camera seems to have the same resolution (1MP / 720p / 1280x800), the same dynamic range (115dB) and frame rate (30fps) as the SMK camera(s), but the product data sheet does boast "best-in-class low-light sensitivity". So I guess some low-light testing is in place!

Last edited: