Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Who Killed The Electric Car" 2006 - Full movie on Youtube July 10th 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is a re-post, but hey ..

Whilst watching Model S vids on youtube, I came across the full length version of "WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR" !

Seems it was uploaded 2 days ago. Not sure if its legit, or if it will be pulled for IPR reasons, but if you've never seen it here it is :
Thanks, watched it tonight. I hadn't planned on seeing it because, frankly, that's the past at this point, but I really enjoyed the various interviews. Lutz in particular was a far more interesting individual than I would have expected.

Thanks for reminding me. Every prospective buyer of these cars should watch this film. Now I understand why TESLA has been so reluctant to lease these vehicles. Lease them and the powers that be can force you to recall them. Sell them, and the cars are no longer yours to recall. As ckessel suggests, try to see this film before it disappears, along with the environment, our schools, and our health care system, not to mention our Bill of Rights.

Makes me realize even more how important it is for me to stand behind what I believe. I am purchasing my model s to bring about electric vehicles. We all need to stand behind Tesla and get this done!

> Lease them and the powers that be can force you to recall them. [GeogMan]

Kinda doubt that happened here. GM did a full retreat on the EV-1 all on its own. Lutz was there, but not part of the decision. Being newish, he missed out on the first maneuvers of the recall. Says he might've effected a reconsideration if he had acted fast enough. Seems believable. But once that diesel locomotive started down the tracks, the EV-1 was history.
--

Not in Aus

Not sure if this is a re-post, but hey ..

Whilst watching Model S vids on youtube, I came across the full length version of "WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR" !

Seems it was uploaded 2 days ago. Not sure if its legit, or if it will be pulled for IPR reasons, but if you've never seen it here it is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgpXDs25TI

Not available when I try the link here in Australia. Nor is the video available on iTunes. Keeping the colonials in the dark as usual?

This car was not pulled by GM all on their own, IMHO, but the sad truth is what was accomplished with 1990's battery technology. Everyone that had one of these cars wanted it, how could you say there was no interest, the really sad thing is where would EV's be today if the development was allowed to continue 30 years down the road, the ICE might be a dinosaur and oil would be $40 a barrel and yes I used to work for 2 of the top oil producers in the world.

I know this is an old thread. I just watched the movie last night. it's been on my list.
Just never got around to it. Around the time frame of EV-1, I felt that there will one day be a powerful influence that big company (car manufacture and oil companies ) could not shut down. The real question is why did GM start making an EV car again? It appeared that it was about the same time frame the government offered GM funding. If the EV 1 was such a flop how is it the bolt so successful? I really think the movie created more questions than it did answers. It did offer good history. Today I’m very blessed to be soon part of the Tesla family.

It was just part of the story. The real story was a lot more complex.
80% of people who drove the Impact (original name) during the national tour said they would buy an EV if they were like that.
When push came to shove, the demand was not there, especially at the real vehicle costs. They discounted them near the end, and still had leftovers. Many lessees returned their cars early. It was voted Time's Top 50 Worst Cars of all time :

"The EV1 was a marvel of engineering, absolutely the best electric vehicle anyone had ever seen. Built by GM to comply with California's zero-emissions-vehicle mandate, the EV1 was quick, fun, and reliable. It held out the promise that soon electric cars — charged from the grid with all sorts of groovy power sources, like wind and solar — could replace the smelly old internal-combustion vehicle. And therein lies the problem: the promise. In fact, battery technology at the time was nowhere near ready to replace the piston-powered engine. The early car's lead-acid bats, and even the later nickel-metal hydride batteries, couldn't supply the range or durability required by the mass market. The car itself was a tiny, super-light two-seater, not exactly what American consumers were looking for. And the EV1 was horrifically expensive to build, which was why GM's execs terminated the program — handing detractors yet another stick to beat them with. GM, the company that had done more to advance EV technology than any other, became the company that "killed the electric car.""