Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who loves their Model X? Consumer Reports this thread is for you!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the CR review as more of a statement about quality than functionality. Not too different than what they evolved to with the Model S, first praising it as the best car in the world and then ripping it apart for being unreliable.

A very valid point. A product's functionality, usability etc., is different from reliability. We see this often in other product categories.

If it is just about collecting data and reporting the facts that they would do, I would trust CR. But what they did with MS is they reached out to first 1000 owners, got the data on problems and most of them also told CR how Tesla was quick to resolve them. BUT CR chose to rate the car unreliable 3 years later. That IMHO is not objective reporting and they lost my vote of confidence.
Reliability can change. How is that strange? Maybe the ramp up really resulted in worse reliability.

I think it's more likely early adopters were more forgiving, especially with services like a technician coming to your home etc. so people did not report as honest or maybe just the level of service and how fast it was taken care of affects how people respond to a survey.

• Disagree
Reactions: goneskiian
Reliability can change. How is that strange? Maybe the ramp up really resulted in worse reliability.

I think it's more likely early adopters were more forgiving, especially with services like a technician coming to your home etc. so people did not report as honest or maybe just the level of service and how fast it was taken care of affects how people respond to a survey.
@Spidy - are you a current Model S owner? As a current Model S owner as well as several other owners I have known and talked to, I would beg to differ from your assessment of reliability of Model S.

My point about CR's negative review is that it doesn't portray the correct picture of reliability of Model S that is currently rolling out of the factory and is not helpful to a consumer looking to order a Model S today. Three years back this review would have made sense but not now.

So by that rule every car would be unreliable as the first couple of thousand for every manufacturer has issues ..far more and serious issues than what Tesla has had.

It's cute that you believe that.

For instance, when Lexus and Infiniti first came out, they landed near the top of the charts.
And with each new model and redesign, they continue to do so.

For instance, when Lexus and Infiniti first came out, they landed near the top of the charts.

OMG! ... This is one of the most rudest comment I have ever seen. This is a place to worship Tesla. You are like walking into a Christian church and scream buddha quotes loud. You don't mention L word and I word. Tesla is a category by itself. You can compare it to Santa Claus's reindeer or aladdin magic carpet, but not another stupid gasoline machine. Not even Batmobile by that definition! There must be a reason for Tesla to have the first thousands of Model X having some 'minor' defects even until now ... and there must be some unknown reasons that more and more problems are coming up ... otherwise, how can they improve? Please be respectful! Long live Tesla ... In Tesla we trust ...

Last edited:

Ha ha you really believe that Lexus and Infinity produced perfect cars from their first one off the assembly line. Now that is real cute.

I had a Lexus RX 4yrs back that lost its bumper by the time I got home from the dealership. Now, that's real improvement in quality since they brought out RX 15 years back.;)

• Funny
Reactions: engle and BornToFly
Ha ha you really believe that Lexus and Infinity produced perfect cars from their first one off the assembly line.

Oh look, putting words in my mouth...how special of you.

I said they landed at the top of the charts in reliability, not that they are perfect. You do know that you can be on top without having a perfect car, right?

You claimed that every new car would be unreliable since they have issues that are more serious than Tesla's. That is just not true.

I've had my X for nearly a month now. Is it flawless, no. Is it perfect, absolutely. I drove my "old" Lexus RX 450h today because I still don't want to park my Tesla at Bart. The old car was like driving a wet sponge in comparison to the practically thought-powered responsiveness of the Tesla. Enough acceleration to scare the kids, goes uphill like the hill isn't even there, can cruise city streets silently, I could go on, but you all know exactly what I mean.

@Spidy - are you a current Model S owner? As a current Model S owner as well as several other owners I have known and talked to, I would beg to differ from your assessment of reliability of Model S.

My point about CR's negative review is that it doesn't portray the correct picture of reliability of Model S that is currently rolling out of the factory and is not helpful to a consumer looking to order a Model S today. Three years back this review would have made sense but not now.
No, I'm not, but I spend some time on this Forum, on the German TFF Forum and watch Björns videos etc. There seem to be certain issues that pop up all the time e.g. the door handles in the past. Or in the Germany forum there is a more than 50 page long thread about the AC blowing out cold air and not heating.

Also True Delta which use a different approach still come to a similar conclusion.
Tesla Model S Reliability

Look. If you don't own one please stay away from this thread. Reading forums and poorly done statistical reports is not a substitute from owning one and experiencing it for at least a few months.

Owners may point out those issues you alluded to - door handles and AC malfunction and such - but all that fades away and becomes less important to the amazing driving experience you get. And that you will not understand unless you own one.

Look. If you don't own one please stay away from this thread. Reading forums and poorly done statistical reports is not a substitute from owning one and experiencing it for at least a few months.

Owners may point out those issues you alluded to - door handles and AC malfunction and such - but all that fades away and becomes less important to the amazing driving experience you get. And that you will not understand unless you own one.
Which has to do ZERO with reliability. Look at exotic sports and performance cars. Many of these suffer from poor reliability and chronic issues yet people happily buy them. Consumer reports even stated the 98% owner satisfaction, but that does not change the reliability of the car. Those are simply two different metrics which often can be related, but don't necessarily have to.

Which btw. is also why I think the title is missing the point. Consumer Reports did not say owners are unhappy - actually quite the opposite. This would be closer to counter CR:

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

I agree!! Even if you own a Tesla and have nothing positive to say, please stay away from this thread. Again, we are here to worship Tesla. It doesn't matter what others point out issues about X: Double vision, car won't charge, door malfunctions, windows pops, rust, delay delivery, freezing screens, third row seats, AC malfunctions, door sensors .. everything fades away and becomes less important to the amazing driving experience you get after multiple multiple trips to service center. Tesla will fix everything for you. Don't worry. Something broke, so what? They fix it. It breaks again, they fix it again ... what else are you expecting? You are being ridiculous when Tesla is a young company and you are only spending $130K on an amazing futuristic machine. We have to forgive and forget all the negatives. Are you shorting TSLA? I don't understand why you complain. In Tesla, we trust ... Long live Tesla.

No, I'm not, but I spend some time on this Forum, on the German TFF Forum and watch Björns videos etc. There seem to be certain issues that pop up all the time e.g. the door handles in the past. Or in the Germany forum there is a more than 50 page long thread about the AC blowing out cold air and not heating.

Also True Delta which use a different approach still come to a similar conclusion.
Tesla Model S Reliability
@Spidy - first of all not being a Tesla owner, you have absolutely no idea of Model S's reliability or unreliability. Secondly, you did not address my point that CR was bringing up reliability issues with Model S 3 years too late and thus their review is irrelevant. Thirdly, this thread and this entire section is about Model X, so take your rant about Model S "unreliability" to the relevant section instead of trying to derail this thread.

We love our "Dona Bella", delivered two days ago. It is a fantastic ride, thoroughly enjoyable, impressive to both me and others, and a siren for electric transport. Love the panorama, love the doors, love the acceleration, love keeping our watt hours/mile down, getting to notice that I'm beginning to relax about autonomous driving and lane changing, and liking the sound system, and the whole experience. After 4 years of driving a Leaf, this feels like a vehicle without compromises. Fantastic.

@Spidy

My point about CR's negative review is that it doesn't portray the correct picture of reliability of Model S that is currently rolling out of the factory .

TrueDelta has a different viewpoint. Tesla Model S Reliability
What analysis are you referring to ?

Secondly, the CR review includes the 2015 model ("Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems.").
Why do you think it is based solely on something older? They do look at the older models to see how they are holding up, but they do look at the current model.

Tesla Reliability Doesn’t Match Its High Performance

Hmm, I thought the thread was about owners of Model X posting about their positive experience with their vehicles.

Actually from the topic title it is specifically for consumer reports to look at people who love their x

People are just pointing out that consumer reports cares more about reliability and product quality than love

I love my Bassamatic Blender even if I have to hold down the top while blending (sort of like having to hold a car door closed while driving due to latch problems) so I wouldn't be surprised nor offended if CR didn't like the Bassamatic.

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit and pchan
I'm reminded that I need to take the Lexus out for some exercise. It hasn't been driven in a couple of months because we would much rather drive the Model X.

The only significant flaw in our Signature Model X was a misbehaving charge port door which was replaced by the Tesla Service Center. A maiden voyage of over 3,300 miles proved how reliable the car is and how relaxing it is to use Autopilot on the Interstates.

We love it!