Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who manages Tesla destination chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at a destination charger today and half the spots were ICE'd because there were missing "Tesla Charging Only" signs (which I can only assume were stolen). There was one sign left and those spaces were open. There other spots were probably taken up unknowingly by ICE drivers because they didn't know they were for charging.

Actual question time: is this something that I can contact Tesla about? Or does this fall on the property owner?

Completely on the property owner. I'm going through installing some destination chargers and Tesla has some helpful guidelines about signage and striping, but if the property owner wants the spaces to be open to all guests ( ICE included), that's up to the property owner.
Oh interesting. I was curious if Tesla provided the signage and all that stuff.

Tesla sells destination chargers as perk for the customers of the hotel or restaurant or whatever it is. How the property manager handles parking is totally up to them. As a Tesla owner I would talk to the manager if the spots are unavailable to charge for me. I would let them know that's the reason to come here rather than another hotel. Let them know it's important. They might think about enforcing stricter rules. But in the end it depends on what they want to do.

I once charged at a Supercharger at night at a hotel. Every stall except for one was ICEd. I talked to the hotel reception and they said they tell their guests they can use all spots except one. The person behind the desk was kind of rude when I pointed out that any other Tesla needing to charge now has to wait. He basically said their guest have priority.

Tesla will offer up signs if you request them for your destination charging install. Two of the destination charging locations I've helped get put in, the owner specifically didn't want the spots to be EV only. There's three HPWC at each location. The chargers are wide enough apart, and each has 24' cords, so even if the "prime" spots to plug in are taken, you usually can reach the cords over a spot or two to get to where you park.

One location has the chargers kind of at a side lot so Icing isn't a huge issue, the other has the chargers right next to the entrance so they are almost always iced.

Thankfully demand for charging isn't that high so it's not a huge problem yet. I mentioned it to the property owner, he was like "yea, well, they either are available, or they aren't.." He was more of the attitude that he put them in as a free service, so people really shouldn't complain if it's not available. If people were paying to use them he'd make more of an effort to keep them open.

Personally the only chargers I ever rely on are the one in my garage, and superchargers. Any free destination chargers are just a nice bonus when they are available. If I need to rely on a charger on a road trip, I'll make a call in advance to try and be sure I'll be able to use it.

One location has the chargers kind of at a side lot so Icing isn't a huge issue, the other has the chargers right next to the entrance so they are almost always iced.

Thankfully demand for charging isn't that high so it's not a huge problem yet. I mentioned it to the property owner, he was like "yea, well, they either are available, or they aren't.." He was more of the attitude that he put them in as a free service, so people really shouldn't complain if it's not available. If people were paying to use them he'd make more of an effort to keep them open.

Personally the only chargers I ever rely on are the one in my garage, and superchargers. Any free destination chargers are just a nice bonus when they are available. If I need to rely on a charger on a road trip, I'll make a call in advance to try and be sure I'll be able to use it.

That to me is a major issue. If I pick a hotel for the specific reason that I can charge there over night and then arrive only to find out the spot is taken by an ICE I'd be pissed.

Reactions: Canuck
That to me is a major issue. If I pick a hotel for the specific reason that I can charge there over night and then arrive only to find out the spot is taken by an ICE I'd be pissed.
Well the chargers I mentioned aren't at a hotel, they are at gyms. Choosing your gym should be based on a lot of more important things beyond if it has EV charging. Although EV charging while working out is a nice perk.

I would agree that a hotel charger spot shouldn't be taken up by a ICE car, as you spend the night there and would hope it's available.

But at hotels you run into the problem of too many EV's needing too few chargers.

I have stayed in may Tesla destination hotels. If you look at the pictures and comments on PlugShare you can get an idea of how well marked they are. I also often call the hotel and ask them to put a cone in one of the spots. They have always been very accommodating. At hotels where the chargers are in the valet area it has always been easy. It’s also good to have a plan B. I try arrive with 30%.