TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who needs a roadster when you have model s plaid?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by MaxPowers, Sep 22, 2020.

1. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Member

This is a question for the roadster fans. The model s plaid will do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Top speed is 200 miles, let's face it most people are not going to drive near that fast anyway.

Plus you'll get it sooner and it's $60k cheaper.

Would you get the model s plaid or wait for the roadster?

2. Congo Line

Congo Line Member

Yeah not sure how they're going to top the Plaid specs to any meaningful or practical degree. Roadster 2 will be bought mostly for the exclusivity, styling, and open top.

• Like x 2
  3. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

they better change the exterior of the S... otherwise folks will have a car that looks like it's from 2012 (yeah, with the front refresh).. the Roadster screams ultramodern and ultraexclusive.. also costs a 100k more

• Like x 4
  4. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

IMHO these are not even close to the same category of vehicle. If you want a sports car, then you want a Roadster.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  5. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

I think the more important question is what does the Plaid S delay say about Roadster productions delay?

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  6. MakeUSGreat

MakeUSGreat Member

I agree, it would need an updated exterior and refresh interior , then I would probably not get the roaster.

7. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Personally, I'm MORE interested in it since they're keeping the same styling because I love it. Had they announced a new Model 3-based interior it would be a sad day for me because IMO the Model S is still the best layout. This means that I will be able to get into the next generation of tech w/o giving up the car I love which is good news for people like me.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. strider

strider Active Member

I'm with @Ostrichsak. I like that the MS Plaid will be a "sleeper" vs the Roadster's "look at me! I'm driving an exotic car." The fact that my daily driver will be capable of < 2s to 60 is very appealing to me. I expect the Plaid will have subtle differences to the regular car, similar to BMW M or MB AMG versions of their regular cars. I am sad that they didn't announce a Plaid MX. I want an MX but haven't been able to stomach the range hit over the MS. A Plaid version would solve this for me.

I didn't put down a deposit only because I am tired of giving Elon interest-free loans. But I expect that once they come out and the new battery gets some miles under it I will upgrade our current S100D.

• Like x 6
  9. HenryFarkas

HenryFarkas Member

Driving 200 mph will destroy ordinary tires. The car doesn't come with racing tires.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. MakeUSGreat

MakeUSGreat Member

Well, if you are worried about tires, after spending 140k, then stick with a Prius!

• Like x 3
  11. Bill Price

Bill Price Member

Where can you achieve 200 mph in Maryland? MD state police.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Krash

Krash Data Technician

• Like x 1
  13. Bucky70

Bucky70 New Member

How about the base Model S with 520 miles of range? We bought our first Tesla when the S hit 402 miles range. And before everyone goes off on me about range, let me explain. Arizona and Utah has some wide open spaces with not enough Tesla Superchargers and other level 3 chargers. 520 miles EPA with 400 miles real world would open up more exploring of the beautiful western states.

• Like x 5
  14. Vines

Vines Active Member

Actually the Model S Plaid might come with Cup 2 Sport R tires, which are pretty close. Not sure of the speed rating but if you are the kind of person ready to go 200 MPH, you'll check the tires well I suspect.

Really the Roadster and Model S are 2 different classes of car. Certainly if the model S will do sub 2 seconds 0-60, the Roadster with SpaceX package will maybe do 1.5s 0-60 maybe and 8s in the 1/4? Model S is a moneymaker that more people will buy. The roadster is a toy that fewer will buy. How many people are ready to replace the backseat with a giant compressed air tank? For most a 9 second 1/4 is already crazy.

Speaking of compressed air, imagine all that compressed air is used to supercool the components that get hot? Just as much as vectored thrust would be helpful, electric cars at this power output very quickly hit thermal limits. Imagine the short term power output gains by sending some of that compressed air onto hot components to allow higher outputs for short durations?

• Like x 2
  15. Sam1

Sam1 Member

That's a very astute observation... Having the option to direct those gases to the thrusters (or whatever they will be called) for 1/4 mile runs, or directed towards the internal components that would see the most heat, for a top end run.

16. Bill Price

Bill Price Member

Rated at up to 186 mph.

17. Drax

Drax Member

It's not a question of need, but want. I'm sure Roadster will be daily driver for plenty of people, but it's ultimately still a toy and that's okay! Not everything has to be multi-purpose and totally functional to serve every need possible. Sometimes the smiles created is enough.

18. Spacep0d

Spacep0d Member

Yeah I agree with this. Why change what is already gorgeous? I would probably be less happy with a refresh of the Model 3 because I think it's basically perfect how it is. I *love* the styling, and I almost don't need to make a caveat for a four-door vehicle. I love the interior and the seats are fantastic. I love the minimalist interior.

If anything, I might miss out on some future technical improvements (maybe) but I love the look of the Model 3. I presume that some people feel the same about the Model S which looks great to me. The only thing I would change on the Model S is that chrome detail which spears both tail lights, and we definitely need a chrome delete option on the order page.

Tesla being Tesla, they probably won't do anything silly, noisy fake holes in the quarter panels (I'm looking at you, VW), fake intakes, fussy details that mess with the car's lines, etc.

19. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Anyone know if the plaid will have any special suspension mods? Any performance mods other than the drivetrain/battery? Or will this be a stock MS? I want to know if it will really challenge Panamera or M series cars.

• Funny x 1
  20. MSPFL

MSPFL Member

It just ran a 1:30 at laguna seca. I'd say that makes Panamaras and Ms look challenged

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1