Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a roadster when you have model s plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for the roadster fans. The model s plaid will do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Top speed is 200 miles, let's face it most people are not going to drive near that fast anyway.

Plus you'll get it sooner and it's $60k cheaper.

Would you get the model s plaid or wait for the roadster?
Yeah not sure how they're going to top the Plaid specs to any meaningful or practical degree. Roadster 2 will be bought mostly for the exclusivity, styling, and open top.

Personally, I'm MORE interested in it since they're keeping the same styling because I love it. Had they announced a new Model 3-based interior it would be a sad day for me because IMO the Model S is still the best layout. This means that I will be able to get into the next generation of tech w/o giving up the car I love which is good news for people like me.

I'm with @Ostrichsak. I like that the MS Plaid will be a "sleeper" vs the Roadster's "look at me! I'm driving an exotic car." The fact that my daily driver will be capable of < 2s to 60 is very appealing to me. I expect the Plaid will have subtle differences to the regular car, similar to BMW M or MB AMG versions of their regular cars. I am sad that they didn't announce a Plaid MX. I want an MX but haven't been able to stomach the range hit over the MS. A Plaid version would solve this for me.

I didn't put down a deposit only because I am tired of giving Elon interest-free loans. But I expect that once they come out and the new battery gets some miles under it I will upgrade our current S100D.

This is a question for the roadster fans. The model s plaid will do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Top speed is 200 miles, let's face it most people are not going to drive near that fast anyway.

Driving 200 mph will destroy ordinary tires. The car doesn't come with racing tires.

Driving 200 mph will destroy ordinary tires. The car doesn't come with racing tires.
Where can you achieve 200 mph in Maryland? MD state police.jpg

How about the base Model S with 520 miles of range? We bought our first Tesla when the S hit 402 miles range. And before everyone goes off on me about range, let me explain. Arizona and Utah has some wide open spaces with not enough Tesla Superchargers and other level 3 chargers. 520 miles EPA with 400 miles real world would open up more exploring of the beautiful western states.

Actually the Model S Plaid might come with Cup 2 Sport R tires, which are pretty close. Not sure of the speed rating but if you are the kind of person ready to go 200 MPH, you'll check the tires well I suspect.

Really the Roadster and Model S are 2 different classes of car. Certainly if the model S will do sub 2 seconds 0-60, the Roadster with SpaceX package will maybe do 1.5s 0-60 maybe and 8s in the 1/4? Model S is a moneymaker that more people will buy. The roadster is a toy that fewer will buy. How many people are ready to replace the backseat with a giant compressed air tank? For most a 9 second 1/4 is already crazy.

Speaking of compressed air, imagine all that compressed air is used to supercool the components that get hot? Just as much as vectored thrust would be helpful, electric cars at this power output very quickly hit thermal limits. Imagine the short term power output gains by sending some of that compressed air onto hot components to allow higher outputs for short durations?

Speaking of compressed air, imagine all that compressed air is used to supercool the components that get hot? Just as much as vectored thrust would be helpful, electric cars at this power output very quickly hit thermal limits.

That's a very astute observation... Having the option to direct those gases to the thrusters (or whatever they will be called) for 1/4 mile runs, or directed towards the internal components that would see the most heat, for a top end run.

Personally, I'm MORE interested in it since they're keeping the same styling because I love it. Had they announced a new Model 3-based interior it would be a sad day for me because IMO the Model S is still the best layout. This means that I will be able to get into the next generation of tech w/o giving up the car I love which is good news for people like me.

Yeah I agree with this. Why change what is already gorgeous? I would probably be less happy with a refresh of the Model 3 because I think it's basically perfect how it is. I *love* the styling, and I almost don't need to make a caveat for a four-door vehicle. I love the interior and the seats are fantastic. I love the minimalist interior.

If anything, I might miss out on some future technical improvements (maybe) but I love the look of the Model 3. I presume that some people feel the same about the Model S which looks great to me. The only thing I would change on the Model S is that chrome detail which spears both tail lights, and we definitely need a chrome delete option on the order page.

Tesla being Tesla, they probably won't do anything silly, noisy fake holes in the quarter panels (I'm looking at you, VW), fake intakes, fussy details that mess with the car's lines, etc.