Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a roadster when you have model s plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for the roadster fans. The model s plaid will do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Top speed is 200 miles, let's face it most people are not going to drive near that fast anyway.

Plus you'll get it sooner and it's $60k cheaper.

Would you get the model s plaid or wait for the roadster?
If anything a P90DL and quicker Model S makes more sense saving a bit of dosh. The Roadster is in a different albeit less practical segment. Styling, exclusivity, top tier of performance. I feel like there’s going to be a bunch of Plaid’s on the used market when the Roadsters come out!

Reactions: byeLT4
The model S is a grand tourer, which is practical but it isn't a sports car. For purists a sports car has two doors/seats, is light weight and handles very well, none of which qualify any of the current Tesla models (I think the Model 3 almost gets there in handling but not quite).

Me I would absolutely go for the Model S plaid because I can still chauffeur my 3 kids around in a pinch, and I've owned enough true sports cars to regret the compromises they present in terms of comfort and utility. But alas I am not rich so I'll stick with my M3P which is still pretty freaking awesome.

This is the smart practical option and will probably be the route I go down in a couple years! For now, at 25 I’m happy with a M3 LR. I do still miss the Miata/MX-5) I drove prior but the gf doesn’t like sitting on what’s effectively a skateboard.

You had to have a certain number of people that used your referral number and then you would be 2% per referral. Some people actually got 100% value and a few even earned 2 roadsters! Lots of exposure and promoting to get that. The referral program for the Roadster is over.

For purists a sports car has two doors/seats, is light weight and handles very well, none of which qualify any of the current Tesla models (I think the Model 3 almost gets there in handling but not quite).
Specs on the Tesla website show the Roadster has 4 seats. Not two. Do you estimate the 4 seat Roadster 2020+ will disqualify this vehicle from being a "sports car" by purists? I had a friend who joked around with me about this being a 4 seat roadster and he said, "You going to put grandma in the back?!?" hahaha... I didn't know what to tell him. He has a point!

Personally I couldn't care less if people call the roadster a supercar or not. They can call it a lemon if they want, that doesn't change the fact that I'll be able to do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds or do 250+ mph if I had the balls to do it (I don't).

Plus, it will destroy any $1+million hypercar.

Last edited:
Speaking of compressed air, imagine all that compressed air is used to supercool the components that get hot? Just as much as vectored thrust would be helpful, electric cars at this power output very quickly hit thermal limits. Imagine the short term power output gains by sending some of that compressed air onto hot components to allow higher outputs for short durations?

In the 50's Chrysler was experimenting with intercooled high pressure air as an air conditioner. In the early days Freon was a problem. An on board compressor would pressurize the air to 3,000 psi, scuba tank psi, intercool it and then expand in the AC ducting. Problem was it came out above the speed of sound and made a horribly loud noise, like cracking open an O2 welding bottle. Another use popped up as a supercharger! High pressure cold air would be forced through a venturi to convert a small stream of high pressure air into a big stream of cold lower pressure air into the carb and supercharge the engine! No parasitic power loss from supercharger or turbo restriction. Could use a tiny pump and storage tank for brief bursts of power.

Answering the original question, no one needs any of this. It's all about want.

I owned a Honda S2000 for more than ten years, when an Accord would have been WAY more practical, cheaper, and provided pretty great driving feel. But I wanted the S2000.

That said, I also don't want a Tesla Roadster v2 (I mean ... I DO, but I'm not going to pay for something like that). I'd like something far more achievable, with a folding hardtop. Something along the lines of an S2000 or Z4, or even the original Tesla Roadster, but push button open top fun.

This is why you "need" a Roadster when you can have a Plaid Model S. [emphasis on second tweet]

FWIW My dream car, before I got into Tesla, was always the McLaren F1. I've been lucky enough to start one up, and go in a very very illegal drive in another. A friend of mine has 2. TWO. lol The model cars that sit near my desk are the F1LM and "2020" Roadster.

Elon had and fully appreciates how excellent the McLaren F1 truly is. He will not release the Roadster until it's better.

IMG_0757.PNG

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d and byeLT4
I was debating between getting the Roadster 2 vs Model S Plaid. Having now seen the Model S refresh, unless the Plaid body is going to be different, will probably go with the Roadster simply for the unique styling.

Also interested to see what Roadster performance numbers will be, given that Plaid+ 0-60 is going to be < 1.99 seconds. Roadster launch is going to feel like being shot out of a cannon!

Reactions: JoJoV111