Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who needs a roadster when you have model s plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m guessing it will be significantly lighter and have much better cooling so that it can keep up with the traditional track day cars. For now the Plaid is not a bad one lap wonder, but everything overheats too quickly including the tires holding 5,000lbs to the road it needs more endurance. Also while the Plaid suspension is good, an improved adjustable suspension would be welcome. A second gear would be nice for more low end torque and still great acceleration way past 100mph, topping out past 250mph. Beyond that, better looks, better aero, open roof, gas thrusters, last but not least more power. It could approach perfect car status except for price but you can’t have it all.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I’m guessing it will be significantly lighter and have much better cooling so that it can keep up with the traditional track day cars. For now the Plaid is not a bad one lap wonder, but everything overheats too quickly including the tires holding 5,000lbs to the road it needs more endurance. Also while the Plaid suspension is good, an improved adjustable suspension would be welcome. A second gear would be nice for more low end torque and still great acceleration way past 100mph, topping out past 250mph. Beyond that, better looks, better aero, open roof, gas thrusters, last but not least more power. It could approach perfect car status except for price but you can’t have it all.
I melted the outside edge of my tires on the last hot lap... the Plaid has way too much weight for a proper track tool. Let's hope the Roadster does not.

I think best case they get it down to 4000 lbs, like the Model 3 performance. They'd have to use lower capacity cells that support super high discharge rates in order to pull ~800 kW out of a smaller battery, like <80 kwhr to keep weight down. Range could be 300 miles, I guess, if they can get a similar cross section area to a model 3 or smaller.

Not only the Plaid, but the MS, MX and Roadster cannot be ordered in Germany. They only offer a pre-reservation for 100 Euro (or 39.000 Euro for the Roadster).

The final configuration, specs and the final pricing tbd.

Many reservation holders got a letter stating - among other things -that Tesla would be happy to refund the reservation money for the MS or credit it towards an available Tesla.

My Interpretation ist that they have more orders in the US than they can handle. And there are reports of problems with the cars they are currently delivering. So it is prudent to iron out any potential problems at home, before sending the cars overseas.

• Informative
Reactions: TorqueMonster
That's a very astute observation... Having the option to direct those gases to the thrusters (or whatever they will be called) for 1/4 mile runs, or directed towards the internal components that would see the most heat, for a top end run.
You could direct pre-compressed air to cooling fans attached to batteries and motors and then out of a nozzle in back of the car. You'd get critical component cooling and acceleration.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Some physicists have speculated that Tesla will spray air evenly out around the car to change the pressure differential around the car. Their argument was that the difference in pressure sucks the car down and the difference in traction outdoes any boost spraying from behind to accelerate or from front to slow.

You could both suck air in from below (to refill the tank) and blow out simultaneously.

Yeah, that theory doesn’t jive with Musk saying the car will fly.

Last edited:
Some physicists have speculated that Tesla will spray air evenly out around the car to reduce the pressure differential around the car. Their argument was that the difference in pressure sucks the car down and the difference in traction outdoes any boost spraying from behind to accelerate or from front to slow.

You could both suck air in from below (to refill the tank) and blow out simultaneously.

Yeah, that theory doesn’t jive with Musk saying the car will fly.
That is way beyond my comprehension, but sounds awesome!