Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered a Tesla Model Y without test driving one first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my MYP WITHOUT test driving one or even getting a ride in one. My purchase / order has been solely based on my own research, You Tube videos, this forum and of course my current Toyota Land Cruiser getting between 10 - 12 MPG. Just curious how many of you put down a deposit and ordered one without even being in a Model Y. Not interested in if you have been in a Model 3, Model S or X.

Reactions: jleeusn
I ordered my MYP without test driving one or even getting a ride in one. My purchase / order has been solely based on my own research, You Tube videos, this forum and of course my current Toyota Land Cruiser getting between 10 - 12 MPG. Just curious how many of you put down a deposit and ordered one without even being in a Model Y. Not interested in if you have been in a Model 3, Model S or X.
Your subject line says “with test driving.” I test drive a couple of times before ordering.

I ordered my Long Range Dual Motor Model Y the same day Tesla announced the Model Y. At that time I had not driven or been a riding passenger in any Tesla vehicle. Before ordering I had sat in a Model 3 in a Tesla showroom. This proved to me that the Model 3 was not for me but a higher riding Tesla vehicle such as the Model Y would be a better choice.

I ordered my MYP WITHOUT test driving one or even getting a ride in one. My purchase / order has been solely based on my own research, You Tube videos, this forum and of course my current Toyota Land Cruiser getting between 10 - 12 MPG. Just curious how many of you put down a deposit and ordered one without even being in a Model Y. Not interested in if you have been in a Model 3, Model S or X.

Never drove any Tesla before, our Y was my first ever, sort of on purpose. So yeah, I really didn't care about test driving one. Our last car was a 14 Outback, which drives just like a refrigerator, so expectations were low to start with.

(Did ride in a 3P a friend owned, for about a half hour)

Could not be happier with how it drives, we love it.

But also? Was always going to get any Tesla that we could put the dogs in the way back that we could afford (X is not an option for us). Just never considered any other car.

Last edited:
I too ordered one based solely on research and reviews…did the Test Drive a week

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
I was pretty close to having decided to order an MYP without ever being in a Tesla vehicle. But I went to the SC for a test drive and they gave me an MYP to take home for a night. That extended test drive cemented my decision to place an order that night.

I rented a MYP for a day as my test drive.

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
We're in the "no test drive" club. Autumn of 2019 I test drove a Model 3. Stepped out of the car with the feeling that this was like driving the future. However, the 3 was too small for us, and the X too expensive. Also, for narrow European roads and parking spaces the X is ridiculously wide... Then the Model Y was announced, which looked the perfect compromise. However, for us in Europe it was a looong wait... In the end we paid a reservation fee in January of last year. We could finally see and sit in a showroom Model Y in mid August last year, then we picked up our own MYLR at the beginning of September – one of the first MIC Y deliveries in Europe. No regrets! My wife was skeptical at first, but it's so nice and easy to drive that after 5 days she had become a complete convert and was telling all her friends how great it is 😉

Ordered the Y late summer of 2020, delivery was supposed to be 2 weeks however that turned out to be 4 which is still lightning fast compared to today. Never physically saw one let alone driven one prior to order however one day we were in the vicinity of a SC so we decided to go for a test drive. They let us drive an MYP down a city street and back, useless to say the least but was content overall. Never looked back since then.

Reactions: mangrove79
Test drove MYP, looked at MYLR7 in showroom, sat in 3rd row etc... Also looked at Rav4 Prime.

Took about a month of thinking then placed order. Picked mine up at the SC in person and did a walk around inside and out before accepting delivery.

I find it kind of crazy that people will order a 50k car without actually driving one... just based off what they heard.

Reactions: voxel
Prior to ordering my MY, I test drove a $120k Mercedes on Nov 19th 2021. I had already test driven a M3, MS, MX as well as two prior test drives in the MY.
After the test drive of the Mercedes EQS I was convinced that the MY was for me. I ordered the HPWC on Jan 3rd and placed my order for the MY on Jan 6th.
My garage is Tesla ready.

Attachments

• Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 331