Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered a Tesla Model Y without test driving one first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2008 Infiniti and didn't even think to upgrade my car. Just was curious to see how teslas drive and scheduled a test drive for the fun of it. As soon as the test drive was over, i was sold because i instantly hated my old car when got back in .
I am currently on my third Infiniti a 2016 Q70 with 33k miles. My previous two were a 2006 G35 6 speed manual that I traded in with 172k miles for a 2012 G37S 6peed manual. Traded that in for a slightly used 2016 Q70 that had 3400 miles.
After first test driving a Model S , Model 3, and a Model X in 2019 I finally decided to order the MY
So excited!

I did not test drive a Y before ordering mine, the nearest place to test drive is 263 miles from my home. I only has one chance to do test drives when on a vacation trip and this was before the Y was available... I know you said "not interested in 3, S, or X" but my one and only test drive chance I test drove an S and a 3. I figured that the Y would be similar to the 3, and from my memory that was correct. Better seating position in the Y and worse rear visibility were the only memorable differences.

Keith

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
Our MYLR is the first car either my wife or I bought without a test drive. In 2020 it was literally the only car that would meet all our requirements:
  • Electric
  • <$70k
  • Carries enough stuff to make our yearly trip to Maine
  • Can get from MD to ME without taking hours extra to charge
So, having ridden in a M3, we figured unless it was horribly uncomfortable it was our only option.

The EA and EVgo networks are better now, and there are some compelling alternative cars that meet the first three criteria, but I would still get the Tesla, just for the SC network. Actually I think if we didn't already have it we'd wait a year or two for the price to go back down, and just suffer with our old ICE for road trips until then. Sure glad we got it when we did.

Me. The first time I saw a MY in person was a few weeks after I ordered. I was stalking a Myrtle Beach supercharger and a blue LR with induction wheels was charging. Funny thing is the driver and passenger were Toyota salesmen and they didn’t looks so pleased that I was oohing and aahing over one of their trade ins. Apparently the original owner traded it in for a Supra.

• Funny
Me. I never drove a Tesla before I sat in my MY. In fact, my car was the second Tesla I had ever been in. I remember being at a party back in 2017 and some girl had one of the first Model 3’s.. she was giving everybody rides. I remember thinking how cool the car was - but was absolutely shocked at how bad the NVH and fit/finish was. Shocked enough that I didn’t pay any attention to Tesla for another 4 years.

The only reason why I went with the MY back in March ‘21 was because the reports were that the Y was a much better built car (rear megacasting and heat pump). I totally lucked out with the double pane glass and heated steering wheel (these features were added I think a week before my build date).

Till this day, my MY is the best car I’ve ever owned. I’ve had several Audi’s (most S, and one RS model) and BMW’s. I will never go back. This is even with Tesla’s shortcomings.

The Y was fairly new when I had decided on a Tesla. I had test driven a 3 and went back with wife to show her the 3 and order one. A Model Y had just shown up. After going over both vehicles, we decided on the Y (towing ability was a big factor for us). We couldn't test drive the Y beacuse they only had the one and it was inside showroom. Fairly similar to the 3 in overall controls and driving.

I am currently on my third Infiniti a 2016 Q70 with 33k miles. My previous two were a 2006 G35 6 speed manual that I traded in with 172k miles for a 2012 G37S 6peed manual. Traded that in for a slightly used 2016 Q70 that had 3400 miles.
After first test driving a Model S , Model 3, and a Model X in 2019 I finally decided to order the MY
So excited!
I didn't test drive the Y before I bought it either... First time I drove a Y, was when I picked it up. Tho I did drive a friends Model S P100D a few years ago. That was my first experience with full regen braking. I did test drive an X right after getting tickled with my friends S. I wish the Tesla test drive was as fun as the Infiniti test drives I've been on, lol (I also came from a line of Infinitis...) The X test drive was tame, the guy only let me drive like 2 miles within the SC, and didn't do much other then show me ludicrous mode...

With the Infiniti test drives, one time I was on a cloverleaf interchange with a 25mph limit on a sweeping curve, and the the salesman told me to drive it like I stole it, and to redline it in the outside lane to pass everyone. He told me to not hold back. Another time, the salesman took us to a large empty parking lot to make donuts.

We took delivery of our 2020 Model YLR without ever test driving one. I did test drive a couple Model S from some friends.
I never really thought about needing to test drive it. The car is an absolute dream to drive/own. No regrets.