Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered a Tesla Model Y without test driving one first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The crazy thing about it was Supercharging it for the first time. Had no idea what to do, I pull up to the Supercharger and there’s no credit card slot, nothing. I plug it in and it just charges up. Later I get an email with the invoice. What an awesome experience.
Glad you mentioned this. I still haven't used a supercharger yet (only had my MYLR for 4 months, no road trips yet and no superchargers around me), but I was curious how it worked.. I'm assuming it's the same process in Canada?

Reactions: Oreodriver and Ogre
Glad you mentioned this. I still haven't used a supercharger yet (only had my MYLR for 4 months, no road trips yet and no superchargers around me), but I was curious how it worked.. I'm assuming it's the same process in Canada?
Speaking of awesome experiences... It seems Tesla does a much better job at maintaining the supercharger network as well... I went on a roadtrip for work... And stopped by a V3 supercharger with 8 stalls... 4 of the 8 stalls were offline, (the "Tesla" logo was not illuminated). I heard a funny noise coming from the fenced off transformers, and no lights registered on my car, so I moved stalls... Luckily nobody was there at the time, but the remaining stalls quickly filled up... Anyways... On my return trip 2 days later, I stopped by the same supercharger, and all 8 stalls were working correctly, and illuminated... I even used the stall that didn't work previously, and it worked fine...

Meanwhile, I remember on Bjorns videos, he showed a couple non-Tesla CCS fast charger locations, where stalls have been broken for months at a time.

Reactions: Ogre
Speaking of awesome experiences... It seems Tesla does a much better job at maintaining the supercharger network as well... I went on a roadtrip for work... And stopped by a V3 supercharger with 8 stalls... 4 of the 8 stalls were offline, (the "Tesla" logo was not illuminated). I heard a funny noise coming from the fenced off transformers, and no lights registered on my car, so I moved stalls... Luckily nobody was there at the time, but the remaining stalls quickly filled up... Anyways... On my return trip 2 days later, I stopped by the same supercharger, and all 8 stalls were working correctly, and illuminated... I even used the stall that didn't work previously, and it worked fine...

Meanwhile, I remember on Bjorns videos, he showed a couple non-Tesla CCS fast charger locations, where stalls have been broken for months at a time.
Can confirm. Just did a road trip and had to use some non-Tesla L2 chargers. Rather… very much wanted to use them. Both were inoperable. Huge frustration. I will say though that the AE station I couldn’t use had 4 empty and seemingly operational chargers.

I never test drove a Model 3LR. Ordered for my wife and the first time she drove it was when she took delivery. I was with a family member when she test drove a Model Y. I ordered my model Y same day she did. I will be takin delivery in the coming weeks.

post delivery: Wife love her model 3LR. More than enough range for her needs, Very Fast, quiet, sound system is great and never has to visit a gas station. As for me, yes the car is fast! I love how quiet it is. When shopping for items, if kids don't want to go in the store while my wife picks up some items, we play disney+ on the screen and we enjoy.

I had never seen a Tesla in person prior to going to pick mine up. I sat in the parking lot of the dealership longer than I care to admit figuring out how to shift the car and get things adjusted. #NoRegrets it's been a fantastic vehicle for the family.

Yes it’s the same in Canada! So easy!

Reactions: Volleyballmom
I had never seen a Tesla in person prior to going to pick mine up. I sat in the parking lot of the dealership longer than I care to admit figuring out how to shift the car and get things adjusted. #NoRegrets it's been a fantastic vehicle for the family.
I've never driven an electric yet here I am with a model Y due in June; I plan on taking test drive soon.

I've seen so many videos and read so much that I don't think I'll need a lot of time for learning the settings, but I'm curious how you did driving? MY concern is a 30 mile return trip with no experience driving with regenerative braking.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I've seen so many videos and read so much that I don't think I'll need a lot of time for learning the settings, but I'm curious how you did driving?
I did just fine. The regen was intuitive and I felt like I caught on quickly. My drive home was about 35 miles so it gave me some time to practice. The one that took the longest was AP. I didn't realize it was a double tap, a single is just adaptive cruise.

If you've watched videos and read up on the car I think you'll do great. June is the perfect month, great weather. Enjoy!

Going for a test drive today; my delivery is August.

Hopefully I get accustomed too the regen braking quickly. Any advice?
Set the driving mode to "chill". That makes for a more gradual accelerator map. I assume that makes it easier to control the braking as well as the acceleration, but TBH I've only ever taken it off chill mode once (when I had to get onto the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut), so I'm not sure. Oh, also definitely set the stopping mode to "hold".

Mostly, just a little practice is all it takes. And if you screw up and need to use the brake pedal occasionally that's fine. By the end of the test drive you'll be doing fine. And once you have the car, after a day you'll hardly ever need to use the brake pedal, and after a week you'll only need to use it when a squirrel runs out in front of you.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Set the driving mode to "chill". That makes for a more gradual accelerator map. I assume that makes it easier to control the braking as well as the acceleration, but TBH I've only ever taken it off chill mode once (when I had to get onto the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut), so I'm not sure. Oh, also definitely set the stopping mode to "hold".

Mostly, just a little practice is all it takes. And if you screw up and need to use the brake pedal occasionally that's fine. By the end of the test drive you'll be doing fine. And once you have the car, after a day you'll hardly ever need to use the brake pedal, and after a week you'll only need to use it when a squirrel runs out in front of you.
Thank you. Hey, so why HOLD? Isn't that the harshest setting?

Thank you. Hey, so why HOLD? Isn't that the harshest setting?
Nope, it just means the car will come to a complete stop without ever needing to touch the brake pedal. It does actually apply the friction brakes itself at the very end, but almost all the energy is recovered by regeneration. Also since it only happens when you're down to 1-2 mph, it causes almost no wear on the brake pads.