Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who ordered S Plaid/Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 9 second 1100hp 3rd gen cts-v that the plaid+ will be replacing. Even though they are roughly the same hp and I love the caddy, the plaid+ will destroy it in 0-60 and quarter mile trap speeds. Also, the caddy is always in some state of broken.... blower failures, engine rebuilds, leaks, belts breaking, tuning issues, you name it. I'll miss the big cam sound/feel of a forced induction V8 but won't miss constant rebuilds, repairs, oil changes, smelling like race gas/e85, emptying catch cans, replacing spark plugs, and not being able to drive it in the rain/snow (drag radials). Going faster without having to dump crazy money in to warranty voiding modifications just sounds appealing to me. The plaid+ will be a usable car year round for me and have more than double the range I get out of the caddy. It's a no brainer for me.... ICE is dead and the EPA is ruining it for the steetcar/racing enthusiast anyway.

as someone who came from a modified E55 AMG (supercharged V8 with 560lb feet of torque and a glorious sounding exhaust/engine), I can say, after having my S for the last year? I'm never..going back to ICE.

Complexity is the enemy of reliablity. And when one thinks of all of the complexity of a ICE vehicle compared to EV. And for that complex ICE vehicle to be slower...it's..a no brainer for me.

I currently have a 9 second 1100hp 3rd gen cts-v that the plaid+ will be replacing. Even though they are roughly the same hp and I love the caddy, the plaid+ will destroy it in 0-60 and quarter mile trap speeds. Also, the caddy is always in some state of broken.... blower failures, engine rebuilds, leaks, belts breaking, tuning issues, you name it. I'll miss the big cam sound/feel of a forced induction V8 but won't miss constant rebuilds, repairs, oil changes, smelling like race gas/e85, emptying catch cans, replacing spark plugs, and not being able to drive it in the rain/snow (drag radials). Going faster without having to dump crazy money in to warranty voiding modifications just sounds appealing to me. The plaid+ will be a usable car year round for me and have more than double the range I get out of the caddy. It's a no brainer for me.... ICE is dead and the EPA is ruining it for the steetcar/racing enthusiast anyway.
I feel you. I have a TT Viper and one day I started the engine up and oil spilled all over my driveway and garage. I'm still keeping it but if a buyer comes along with the right offer, it's gone. At the upper limit of power, EV has nothing on ICE power in the 1/4 and 1/2 but maybe in 10 years it will be different. I'd like to see an EV do a 6 second ET pass.

Almost there... KillaCycle | The World's Quickest Electric Motorcycle! for sure the technology is there. With a development team, maybe RIMAC with the Porsche investment, or some others. The nice thing is, less will break on an EV. We all know how much sweat, blood and burned skin goes with drag racing ICE vehicles. The common things will stay the same - chassis, wheels, tyres, all the physical stuff... but less on the engine and ancillaries. To be honest, we arent long away from stupid speeds for roadgoing family vehicles. If you want to put your Labradors in the back and then mush them into strawberry jam as your foot slips on the pedal, you will have that choice on the sales (electronic) forecourts soon!

I'm going to wait a few years until some PLAIDs hit the used market then shop :)

If history serves as an indicator Tesla will do some crazy crap to devalue the used car market by dropping prices of new cars, I will swoop in to capitalize and buy a 150k car for sub 100s
Over the past 4-5 years, this has been their MO (and I wouldn't be surprised to see it again), but recently they've started raising prices (first on the S, then on the Plaid+, and also now on the 3/Y as well). I'm not sure if that's a sign of what's to come, or just a one-off adjustment?

I imagine most of the price cuts to the S/X were to spur sales on a (gracefully) aging design that while still nice, looked a bit dated compared to the 3/Y. Now that they've got the interior refresh announced and demand is supposedly strong, I don't know how quick they'll get back to their old tricks.

I'm going to wait a few years until some PLAIDs hit the used market then shop :)

If history serves as an indicator Tesla will do some crazy crap to devalue the used car market by dropping prices of new cars, I will swoop in to capitalize and buy a 150k car for sub 100s
thats essentially what I did with my 2017 S. Purchased it December 2019 from Tesla with less than 1300 miles on it. Literally new condition. Was never previously titled so it came with Teslas full new car warranty and was able to finance under new car rates. But the price was literally many many thousands below the original sticker price from 2017.

Reactions: isracing
Perhaps the current delivery debacle is tied to Fremont's problems with employees and Covid.
Tesla factory infection rate is 4.4% (440 out of ~10k)
Alameda County infection rate is 4.9%
California infection rate is 9.1% California Coronavirus Map and Case Count

but those statistics and relevant context make for boring headlines are not appealing to those who are looking to dislike Tesla for any reason, even ignorant reasons.

Same here. I can definitely see that the Plaid+ in a few years new will definitely not be $150K, but more like $125K . This has happened time and time again if you look back at prices of new P models in 2014 vs a P model in 2020 with so much more range and updated features.

Reactions: isracing
whats Floridas infection rate? With lack of lockdowns, it certainly has to be through the roof I assume.....
Likely much worse than CA as we are absolutely stupid about things like masks and social distancing...... Its crazy town around here.

My comment was not a Tesla hating one (as anyone that has read any of my other posts would know) but more of a perhaps this is part of the delay be it on Tesla's side or their supply chain.

Just did a quick check and we are hovering around 5-6% positivity right now. From what I am seeing in traffic and spring breakers I suspect that will change dramatically in about two weeks.