Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who plans on getting a true, base $35k Model 3?

What trim level Model 3 do you plan on ordering?

• Barebones 3

Votes: 20 9.8%
  • Fully loaded 3

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 149 73.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All depends on what the base is.

But really, I think AWD is the only option that is must have. And a paint upgrade would be nice.

I'm lucky (and unlucky, because it was a car wreck that caused it) that I've pushed back my M3 purchase to 2020. So, I can sit back and see how AP evolves. If I can have 4 pints of beer at the pub after my shift and my car can legally take me home, than it's an option I will look at closely.

I'll definitely be ordering.
  1. AWD
  2. Full Self-Driving Capability
  3. whatever gets me heated seats
  4. A battery upgrade, whatever is the next step up.
Im sure we can do a cheaper battery swap in 5-10 years when the gigafactory is going full steam
I want those things to. But I think it would be at least $60k at the very best case scenario. At that price, I really start thinking at a base model S :(

Depends.

If it's for me: then mid-range battery, AWD, L4/L5 AP, leather, heated steering wheel, blue color, pano, etc.

For wife: she said she wants the base $35k car. But I think she'll at least get L2 AP...

Since it would be replacing a Nissan LEAF, the bar is low. I would elect:

The smallest battery
Cloth seats
Base paint (seems like it will be black)
Definitely autopilot though, and probably full self driving
Maybe the cold weather package to get heated steering wheel

I'll probably have a complete base Model 3. Maybe with a bigger battery. Maybe with supercharging.

But definitely NO glass roof. NO autopilot. NO cold weather stuff. NO leather. NO fancy wheels.

If the base radio doesn't have Sirius Satellite, I probably won't spend the money for a higher end sound system.

And I WILL NOT get a glass roof if it is required to get the Sirius antenna in there. Tesla has no excuse for requiring a glass roof. If Dodge could make it work in my '11 Challenger R/T, so can Tesla. Put the antenna on the trunk lid = problem solved!

I probably won't get dual motors.

And plain white is fine with me, I don't want to pay extra for paint.

Tesla should have a VERY comprehensive list of 0-60 times and top end speeds, and maybe 1/4 mile times and speeds for every motor and battery option on the design studio page. It will be very needed to make decisions.

I will likely just spring for dual motors for handling/acceleration purposes. I would love a P version but can't justify the cost. Above 40k I'd rather get a used Model S, which will likely be down to that range by 2018. None of the options are worth the price to me. I currently drive a bare bones GTI so even the standard Model 3 features will be a luxury.

I'm looking to get likely somewhere in the middle:
+ Med to Large battery
+ AP
+ Dual Motor - for better range and handling - not for performance.
+ Tow package. (Utility Trailer for the home depot runs)
- Metal Roof - Texas Sun and a mobile greenhouse don't mix
- No Performance options. The base model will SIGNIFICANTLY be better than my 12 year old Pontiac with a 0 to 60 of "possibly".
- Supercharging - hoping for a pay-per-use
Trim options / sound options - well that will have to be decided when they are more firm, but likely nothing extravagant.

I'll categorize under two headings, Wants and Likes. I'd be okay with a base car, but there are certainly options I want to add and others I'd like to have if cost works out. I think my upper threshold on pricing is $45-50k.

Wants:
- Dual Motor
- Upgraded Paint
- Leather
- AP 2.0

- Upgraded battery
- Upgraded wheels

As long as Supercharging is pay as you go or reloadable, I'd be happy with that, since we'd rarely use it.

I'll definitely want supercharging (depends on how the base version is structured, I'm fine with pay per use if that is included) and I might choose a different color depending on the base option (if black is the only choice in the base).

I sort of want AP for the resale value, but it can be added later (hardware included), so that is optional for me.

I'm thinking about the base Model 3, and trade in/upgrade in a year or two. The tech is moving so fast. I haven't reserved yet though. The earliest delivery is now second half 2018 but I'd like to see the config options first.