Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who plans on getting a true, base $35k Model 3?

What trim level Model 3 do you plan on ordering?

• Barebones 3

Votes: 20 9.8%
  • Fully loaded 3

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 149 73.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
I'm curious to know how many people are planning to order a true, bare-bones Model 3 with no options @ $35k? Elon has stated he expects the average transaction price of the 3 to be around $43k, so he has to be figuring the majority of people will NOT be getting a base $35k Model 3.

There are some options that I'll definitely be ordering.
  1. Largest battery available
  2. Full Self-Driving Capability
  3. Subzero Weather package
Beyond that - it depends.
  • If fully-optioned guarantees me a full federal credit, I'll probably spring for it.
  • How much does fully-optioned cost? If it's less than a low-end S, I'll probably spring for it.
  • I'm about due for my mid-life crisis. If a fully-loaded ludicrous Model 3 costs less than a mistress, I'll probably spring for it.

Personally, I think full autonomy just may have jumped to my number 1 option...even over the larger battery. For me, the potential to open up all of the uses and safety are worth even 10K. (Hopefully it won't be!). Beyond that however, bigger battery would be next, followed by paint, pano roof, upgrade interior, dual motor (maybe performance but definitely not Ludicrous).

Doesn't sound like a base Model 3 I don't think. ;)

Dan

I'll probably get a battery, roof, and paint upgrade, but that's about it. I'm actually leaning against leather, don't really care for any of the premium options or the bio-hazard air filter , definitely don't care about subzero, definitely don't want any doors or hatches opening themselves. I was waffling on AWD and autopilot, but if the price increase holds, autopilot might move towards the "no" column as well.

I don't need a multi-thousand dollar sound system, leather, pano, subzero, alcantara, air suspension, upgraded paint or oversize wheels and don't plan on paying for them. I don't expect to buy full autonomy up front; perhaps a couple years down the road when the technical/legal issues are sorted out.

My must-have list is pretty short and close to base:
1. Autopilot.
2. Supercharger Access. Pay per use would be great for my expected use.

My "If the kids are going to the State University rather than a private college" addition:
3. Quicker than base, but nothing Ludicrous. Think S90D rather than P90D or P100DL.

Answering the OP question, I might in fact take a bare bones M3 when the time comes. I just got a fully-optioned EoQ-discounted S75D and love all the features for driving in the Northeast. In contrast, the Model 3 is destined for my (eventual) retirement house on Big Island of Hawaii. By the time it is delivered I hope to be fully off the grid with the (soon to be announced) Tesla solar roof and Powerwall(s), as my house sits on the side of a mountain facing South with unobstructed exposure from sunrise to sunset.

It is possible, but difficult, to drive more than 200 mi in a day on Big Island, so basic battery is sufficient.

There are no superchargers in HI and free daily charge of 200 mi from solar will do the trick with no need for high-speed charging..

No need for all wheel drive. I have an SUV there if I *really* want to go to the top of the mountain or off-road.

I want basic white for the 300+ sunny days a year on the west side--hope they bring it back.

For beach and other expeditions I don't need or want leather seats.

No need for Autopilot since most drives will be relatively short with two lane roads and not much traffic. Besides, I actually like to drive.

I always get upgraded audio on my cars but then rarely listen to it.

It seems a stripper might fit the bill. I ordered on first day and am a current owner but I wonder how long that would delay delivery.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
Our Model 3 is probably going to be our daughter's first car, so I'll be very inclined to add anything that increases safety. AWD and whatever level of AP gives me TACC comes immediately to mind. Though we all know that configuring a Tesla is a wonderfully tempting slippery slope.

So I would LOVE to get some options on the 3. But my bank account takes precedence, and if I can't afford it (which is a distinct possibility) then I'm going to get the base model. It's not that I don't want the options, it's that Teslas for a lot of folks are "stretch cars" even in their base configuration.

Since the announcement of the autonomous hardware, my priorities have changed a bit for what I'd opt to throw extra dollars at - but ultimately just having a Tesla BEV is enough for now. It'll be particularly nice for folks like me if a lot of it is after-purchase-unlockable. Sure you pay a bit more to unlock after the fact, but if you account for interest and/or anxiety from potentially stretching TOO much and/or ordering something that's not all it's cracked up to be (autonomy* for instance), it can be worth it to pay a bit more later.

*Autonomy is a very hard problem to crack - it's not that if all the cars on the road were autonomous, it would be difficult. It's that human behavior and rule breaking really throws a wrench in the whole thing. Without unpredictable human behavior, autonomy would be a cinch. But accounting for idiots not looking before walking into the street, kids not realizing they should, people running stopsigns, distracted driving, etc... and you just KNOW any time an autonomous car is involved in accident everyone will cry "THANKS AUTOPILOT!" in unison. For that reason alone, I have a baseline for what I'd consider paying for. Can I really trust it to get me to work safely? It's probably worth it. Do I need to take over a few times each trip, is it predictable? And can I trust myself NOT to zone out and use it unsafely? If the answer to those is "no" then maybe I should wait til later in that case.

So I would LOVE to get some options on the 3. But my bank account takes precedence, and if I can't afford it (which is a distinct possibility) then I'm going to get the base model. It's not that I don't want the options, it's that Teslas for a lot of folks are "stretch cars" even in their base configuration.

Since the announcement of the autonomous hardware, my priorities have changed a bit for what I'd opt to throw extra dollars at - but ultimately just having a Tesla BEV is enough for now. It'll be particularly nice for folks like me if a lot of it is after-purchase-unlockable.
Same here. I've been waiting for a nice looking, great battery chemistry, 200 mile EV since 2011. Nissan? Nope. Ford? Nope. BMW? Nope. GM? Nope. The bare bones 3 is all I need, later on i can add the full self driving.