Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who prefers a Model 3 station wagon?

What do you want?

• Total voters

SwedishAdvocate

Jul 26, 2012
Sweden, Earth
I want a Model 3 station wagon. And my current career arch will enable me to buy one for cash if Tesla puts a Model 3 station wagon into production.

What do you want?

Edit: Poll is public and open indefinitely.

Last edited:

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
I voted for the more traditional cross over but the caveat is I want a hatchback since they are far more versatile.
And since the S is a hatchback my bet is the Model 3 will be too.

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
You know that "Current Model X body style" and/or "A more traditional SUV/Crossover body style (à la BMW X3)" is more in the line of the next model after Model 3 - the Model Y?

Kbsilver

Jul 25, 2014
Central NJ
In the US, stations wagons are not popular, having been replaced by SUVs (which I do not like). Because of non existent demand, Tesla could never make a station wagon work based on US interest. I know the rest of the world thinks differently. Today in the US, BMW only offers a 3 series wagon, with your choice of gas or diesel 4-cylinder engine. One of our cars currently is a 15 year old BMW 540iT (station wagon) so I do appreciate them. I have been told by BMW executives that the V8 equipped 5 series station wagon was one of the rarest vehicles to be imported into the USA in modern times due to the extremely low demand. This is the car I am considering replacing with an S. Similar characteristics of performance with lots of space. Just need to convince the SO.

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
No. Could you elaborate?

The Model 3 is the "sedan" of Gen-III just like Model S is the "sedan" of Gen-II. For CUV's - crossover utility vehicle - they will make the Model X for the Gen-II, and a new model for the Gen-III. It's assumed to be called "Model Y". Yes, Tesla has a trademark for that name, registered at the same time the registered "Model E" - that later had to be replaced by "Model 3".

It may take some time, but if you wish - and no other remember where it was mentioned - I can find a link to somewhere that Elon is talking about the Gen-III CUV. I just don't have that links in my head or bookmarks :p

Edit:
Here you can see other mention it:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22982-Gen-III-summary
SUV - a genIII platform SUV smaller than the Model X was confirmed 30-May-2013 by Tesla

Last edited:

SwedishAdvocate

Jul 26, 2012
Sweden, Earth
That link does not mention "Model Y". :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

The Model 3 is the "sedan" of Gen-III just like Model S is the "sedan" of Gen-II. For CUV's - crossover utility vehicle - they will make the Model X for the Gen-II, and a new model for the Gen-III. It's assumed to be called "Model Y". Yes, Tesla has a trademark for that name, registered at the same time the registered "Model E" - that later had to be replaced by "Model 3".

It may take some time, but if you wish - and no other remember where it was mentioned - I can find a link to somewhere that Elon is talking about the Gen-III CUV. I just don't have that links in my head or bookmarks :p /...
Source please. :tongue:

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
Last edited:

Tedkidd

I absolutely want a wagon. The S is already a little space challenged in the back (unacceptable headroom, not very versatile rear). I fear shrinking that makes things worse.

I like the size of my sportwagen. The only thing that might improve it would be making it a little higher.

I really like the Mercedes EB. It'd be fantastic if they patterned it after that car.

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
VehicleYearNotes
Roadster2008-12Lotus Elise chassis; 2,400 sold
Model S sedan2012Approx. 20,000 built so far
Model X crossover2015Full production scheduled early 2015
Gen III sedan2016Compact sedan might wait until 2017
Gen III crossover2018Planned for 18 months after sedan
Model S redesign20208-year sheet-metal cadence
Gen III sports car2020Lower priority than sedan/crossover
Gen III convertible2020Arrives with the sports car
Pickup?Musk says he wants one; no r&d yet
Source: Tesla sources

You find it here:
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ns-will-stretch-tesla-beyond-its-comfort-zone

Last edited:

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
I absolutely want a wagon. The S is already a little space challenged in the back (unacceptable headroom, not very versatile rear). I fear shrinking that makes things worse.

I like the size of my sportwagen. The only thing that might improve it would be making it a little higher.

I really like the Mercedes EB. It'd be fantastic if they patterned it after that car.

I do also want a wagon. But I'm afraid they think the CUV's take care of that marked.... But I don't want a SUV/CUV :p

dhanson865

Feb 16, 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'd rather a 4 door + hatchback (aka 5 door hatchback) but I'd be OK with a 4 door + hatch wagon (5 door wagon) if it were near the hatchback sizing.

The difference between a hatchback and a station wagon isn't obvious to all. Old school station wagons didn't have much head room but had plenty of leg room. Hatchbacks tend to be more balanced / taller than a wagon but lower than a minivan/SUV/crossover.

In other words I want the increased cargo flexibility of the rear hatch vs a trunk but I don't need the car to be much bigger because of that. I definately don't want to sacrifice range to a wagon design that has worse aero cd or higher weight just to allow for that increased cargo capacity.

So if you are asking if I want a trunk vs a hatch? The answer is simple I do want a hatch, I just don't know if what I want is a hatchback or a wagon.

KJD

OD 7/27 MYLR Red/Black 19's No FSD EDD 10/23-11/12
Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2013
SLC, UT
Would you consider a Subaru Forester a wagon or a hatchback? Whatever you call it thats what I want, only with electric power and 200+ mile range. And make sure it has AWD for sure.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
Station Wagon is leading? Next up, National Lampoon's EVacation.

Probably because there isn't a choice for a hatchback:smile: The difference between the wagon and hatchback isn't that great but the majority at least seem to indicate they don't prefer a regular sedan.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC