TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who prefers a Model 3 station wagon?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SwedishAdvocate, Nov 1, 2014.

?

What do you want?

1. Station wagon

49.0%
  2. Current Model S body style

41.9%
  3. Current Model X body style

5.2%
  4. A more traditional SUV/Crossover body style (à la BMW X3)

9.0%
  5. Two door Coupé

11.0%
  6. Two door Convertible – Soft Top

2.6%
  7. Two door Convertible – Hard Top

8.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#1 SwedishAdvocate, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    I want a Model 3 station wagon. And my current career arch will enable me to buy one for cash if Tesla puts a Model 3 station wagon into production.

What do you want?

Edit: Poll is public and open indefinitely.

2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

If I weren't going for a Model X, I'd definitely want a station wagon. Or if that wasn't possible, hatchback.

A sedan would be out of the question.

3. SwedishAdvocate

Thread updated with public poll open indefinitely :smile:

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I voted for the more traditional cross over but the caveat is I want a hatchback since they are far more versatile.
    And since the S is a hatchback my bet is the Model 3 will be too.

5. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

6. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

You know that "Current Model X body style" and/or "A more traditional SUV/Crossover body style (à la BMW X3)" is more in the line of the next model after Model 3 - the Model Y?

7. SwedishAdvocate

No. Could you elaborate?

8. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

In the US, stations wagons are not popular, having been replaced by SUVs (which I do not like). Because of non existent demand, Tesla could never make a station wagon work based on US interest. I know the rest of the world thinks differently. Today in the US, BMW only offers a 3 series wagon, with your choice of gas or diesel 4-cylinder engine. One of our cars currently is a 15 year old BMW 540iT (station wagon) so I do appreciate them. I have been told by BMW executives that the V8 equipped 5 series station wagon was one of the rarest vehicles to be imported into the USA in modern times due to the extremely low demand. This is the car I am considering replacing with an S. Similar characteristics of performance with lots of space. Just need to convince the SO.

9. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

#9 Model 3, Nov 1, 2014
    The Model 3 is the "sedan" of Gen-III just like Model S is the "sedan" of Gen-II. For CUV's - crossover utility vehicle - they will make the Model X for the Gen-II, and a new model for the Gen-III. It's assumed to be called "Model Y". Yes, Tesla has a trademark for that name, registered at the same time the registered "Model E" - that later had to be replaced by "Model 3".

It may take some time, but if you wish - and no other remember where it was mentioned - I can find a link to somewhere that Elon is talking about the Gen-III CUV. I just don't have that links in my head or bookmarks :p

Edit:
    Here you can see other mention it:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22982-Gen-III-summary

10. SwedishAdvocate

That link does not mention "Model Y". :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Source please. :tongue:

11. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

#11 Model 3, Nov 1, 2014
  12. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I absolutely want a wagon. The S is already a little space challenged in the back (unacceptable headroom, not very versatile rear). I fear shrinking that makes things worse.

I like the size of my sportwagen. The only thing that might improve it would be making it a little higher.

I really like the Mercedes EB. It'd be fantastic if they patterned it after that car.

13. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

#13 Model 3, Nov 1, 2014
    You find it here:
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20140113/OEM/301139981/audacious-growth-plans-will-stretch-tesla-beyond-its-comfort-zone

14. bint2k

bint2k Member

wagon FTW!

15. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

I do also want a wagon. But I'm afraid they think the CUV's take care of that marked.... But I don't want a SUV/CUV :p

16. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I'd rather a 4 door + hatchback (aka 5 door hatchback) but I'd be OK with a 4 door + hatch wagon (5 door wagon) if it were near the hatchback sizing.

The difference between a hatchback and a station wagon isn't obvious to all. Old school station wagons didn't have much head room but had plenty of leg room. Hatchbacks tend to be more balanced / taller than a wagon but lower than a minivan/SUV/crossover.

In other words I want the increased cargo flexibility of the rear hatch vs a trunk but I don't need the car to be much bigger because of that. I definately don't want to sacrifice range to a wagon design that has worse aero cd or higher weight just to allow for that increased cargo capacity.

So if you are asking if I want a trunk vs a hatch? The answer is simple I do want a hatch, I just don't know if what I want is a hatchback or a wagon.

17. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Would you consider a Subaru Forester a wagon or a hatchback? Whatever you call it thats what I want, only with electric power and 200+ mile range. And make sure it has AWD for sure.

18. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Don't like wagons.

Fastbacks >>

19. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Station Wagon is leading? Next up, National Lampoon's EVacation.

20. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Probably because there isn't a choice for a hatchback:smile: The difference between the wagon and hatchback isn't that great but the majority at least seem to indicate they don't prefer a regular sedan.