Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What reservation did you make?

• Alliance Edition or plan to switch to this when available

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priority Reservation with $5,000 refundable deposit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard Reservation for free

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No surprise there. As I've said before, the only way I can see Fara Faro survive and bring the FF91 to market is to scale way down and become a luxury, low-volume manufacturer of hand-built cars.

Sound like FF will only be a niche player ... :cool:

Now, the company has scaled back its initial product portfolio to just two models -- the FF 91 flagship unveiled in early January and a slightly smaller, less expensive crossover designated FF 81 and aimed at the Tesla Model X, people familiar with the company's plans told Reuters.
A source familiar with the company's thinking said the smaller Nevada plant likely will be set up to build fewer than 10,000 cars a year and may not open until 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
The huge back seat is better for China where everyone who can afford that car has a driver.
Which ties in with this quote from the article linked above:
Two sources said future production of most Faraday vehicles, and companion models for Chinese sister brand LeSee, likely will be centered in China's Zhejiang province, which has agreed to heavily subsidize construction of a new assembly plant with a 450,000 vehicle capacity that could open in 2019.
It wouldn't make much sense to build a car geared for the wealthy Chinese market in California and then export it to China. Better to build it in the home market to avoid tariffs and shipping costs.

Lucid Air seems to me like it has better odds of succeeding - and I'm considering putting down a deposit. The executive team is largely made of Tesla veterans - head of manufacturing/sales/marketing/engineering - all Tesla vets. They don't have the pie in the sky attitude of FF and the interior (especially rear executive seats that recline 55 degrees - slated for production - not just a concept) is gorgeous - and I hope a sign of where the top range Tesla sedan will head in the future. Active noise cancellation, super plush suspension. They also have a legit self driving plan - partnered with Mobileye, lots of experience in battery tech, and some funding already in place. If the Air continues to get traction and actually heads for production I think we will see a top range Tesla sedan of similar capability/luxury - Musk won't want to give up the "rolls royce of EV" halo to anybody else.

My money still says that Tesla is far along in development of the second generation Model S but they're just keeping their mouths shut about it - and that it will be a jaw dropper when it hits the market. They have the resources to develop two cars simultaneously and they have all the publicity they need with self driving and Model 3 anticipation right now - so there would be no need to comment on the next gen Model S.

FF and Lucid may not survive but their goals have reset the EV bar far higher than the Model S currently achieves - and I think Musk will hit the FF/Lucid target on the next S even if they don't.