Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who sets Model 3 AC on Auto?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I'm asking is whenever the sun is out while the outside temperature is not too hot, e.g. 24C, the AC, on Auto set to 22C, will be very slack in doing its job. Fan speed will hover around 2-4 while passengers being roasted in the car. When there is overcast, under the same outside temperature and AC settings, it will feel slightly chilled.

I found myself constantly changing the temperature to 17C or lower on sunny days, especially if I'm waiting in the car at an outdoor charging station.

Does anyone feel the same or should I pay a visit to the service centre?

The reason I'm asking is whenever the sun is out while the outside temperature is not too hot, e.g. 24C, the AC, on Auto set to 22C, will be very slack in doing its job. Fan speed will hover around 2-4 while passengers being roasted in the car. When there is overcast, under the same outside temperature and AC settings, it will feel slightly chilled.

I found myself constantly changing the temperature to 17C or lower on sunny days, especially if I'm waiting in the car at an outdoor charging station.

I don’t use Auto - better to just keep the aircon at around 18C with fan speed of at least 4. I like a cold car though.

Other options are “leave fan on” when you enter and exit the car, and to turn the air con on via your phone before you get in the car with passengers.

I don’t think your car is broken.

I have the same issue. Aircon is set to auto 22 deg
I’ve noticed the same issues you’e seeing
Car internal temp very hot ext temp 26 to 30deg
Yet the aircon fan is only at 2 and hardly cooling if at all
Have to set the temp down to 19 deg to get any cooling going

I have observed on one occasion when I started Aircon remotely
The app showings 26 deg internal
I could hear aircon running high fan speed as I walked up to the car
As soon as I got in the car the aircon fan went down to 2
and cooling virtually stopped. External temp was showing 28deg
I checked the app int temp was still 26deg.
I did try leaving it to see if aircon would increase fan speed and cooling
It didn’t I couldn’t take the heat and had to set the temp down to 19deg to get some cooling action
It’s done this on other occasions but this was the 1st time I thought of checking the internal temp on the app

I think this behaviour of the low fan speed (2) started happening with one of the later software updates

When it's hot in the car but the aircon is acting like the temp is down, feel the bracket under the screen that connects it to the dash since there's a temperature sensor on that. When I've remembered and felt that bracket while the car was hot, that particular area was quite cold to the touch which would explain why the car wasn't reacting to the cabin being hot.

I don’t use Auto - better to just keep the aircon at around 18C with fan speed of at least 4. I like a cold car though.

Other options are “leave fan on” when you enter and exit the car, and to turn the air con on via your phone before you get in the car with passengers.

I don’t think your car is broken.

I didn't think it was broken either since it worked fine with manual settings and inside temperature was about right when the AC is turned off. It just seems that on sunny days, the temperature sensor and the passenger don't agree on how hot the inside of the car is.

I have the same issue. Aircon is set to auto 22 deg
I’ve noticed the same issues you’e seeing
Car internal temp very hot ext temp 26 to 30deg
Yet the aircon fan is only at 2 and hardly cooling if at all
Have to set the temp down to 19 deg to get any cooling going

I have observed on one occasion when I started Aircon remotely
The app showings 26 deg internal
I could hear aircon running high fan speed as I walked up to the car
As soon as I got in the car the aircon fan went down to 2
and cooling virtually stopped. External temp was showing 28deg
I checked the app int temp was still 26deg.
I did try leaving it to see if aircon would increase fan speed and cooling
It didn’t I couldn’t take the heat and had to set the temp down to 19deg to get some cooling action
It’s done this on other occasions but this was the 1st time I thought of checking the internal temp on the app

I think this behaviour of the low fan speed (2) started happening with one of the later software updates
So I'm not the only one. Great and not so great. I got it with v10 so I don't have much comparison, but it has always been like that on sunny days. I think the temperature sensor is not placed in a place where it could accurately detect the average cabin temperature.

When it's hot in the car but the aircon is acting like the temp is down, feel the bracket under the screen that connects it to the dash since there's a temperature sensor on that. When I've remembered and felt that bracket while the car was hot, that particular area was quite cold to the touch which would explain why the car wasn't reacting to the cabin being hot.
You are probably right. I didn't know where the sensor was but I always felt it must be too close to the vents so it cools down much faster than the rest of the car.