Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who should buy second Tesla?

adayley

Jun 4, 2020
Gilbert, Arizona, USA
We took delivery of a Model 3 for me a few months ago. We are going to order a Model Y for my wife. She has a tesla.com account so that she can use my Model 3.

Should she place the order for the Model Y? Does it matter which Tesla account places the order?

Threader

Apr 16, 2019
Montreal
We took delivery of a Model 3 for me a few months ago. We are going to order a Model Y for my wife. She has a tesla.com account so that she can use my Model 3.

Should she place the order for the Model Y? Does it matter which Tesla account places the order?
if you start up a different account and she uses your account referral you both get 1000 miles supercharger. You can also allow each other full access to the cars in both of your separate accounts. win win

• Informative
Reactions: adayley

Nelson

Oct 28, 2016
New Jersey
Also have a 3 and a Y coming on 9/8 for my wife. Are you saying if we add the Y to the current account we only get 1,000 miles? I was under the impression that I'd get the 1,000 miles for the referral and also get the other 1,000 for the new car and it would all flow into my current account.

• Disagree
Reactions: usavincent

IdaX

Dec 27, 2016
Moscow, Idaho
In the long run, 1000 miles of supercharging is worth like $50 maybe. Better off ordering under your same account and then operating jointly. Then you can check both and use the app as a key for both without having to log in again and again.

adayley

Jun 4, 2020
Gilbert, Arizona, USA
... Better off ordering under your same account and then operating jointly. Then you can check both and use the app as a key for both without having to log in again and again.

This is new information to me.

My wife already has her own Tesla.com account, though she has not purchased anything yet. She is an authorized user of my Model 3, using her phone and app as the key to the car. She doesn’t need to repeatedly login, she simply uses the car, same as I do.

Can you describe more about how the repeating login works?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC