Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who shouldn't buy a Tesla (or an MS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it hard to believe that this will be permanent. It has to be a bug. Strong regen was removed in October last year whenever the ambient temps are close to 15 Celsius and below (59 Fahrenheit). No doubt to "protect" the battery.

The car would definitely be dangerous once warmed up and full regen is available and you're driving in snow/slush if you can't switch to low regen.

I've simply trained myself to never pull my foot off the accelerator completely in those conditions. It's easy to learn where the neutral point is and I've driven in plenty of snowstorms my last 8 years in the car. It does take some practice, though.

New to the site, but I am buying a used 2014 Model s 85KWH. The price I dropped it down to was 34000, and it carries 53k miles still under warranty. It is the tech package but pre AP with leather seating. It is the nearest I can actually see and test drive. Does anybody think this deal is solid? Just seeking some opinions right now. This will be my first Tesla.

New to the site, but I am buying a used 2014 Model s 85KWH. The price I dropped it down to was 34000, and it carries 53k miles still under warranty. It is the tech package but pre AP with leather seating. It is the nearest I can actually see and test drive. Does anybody think this deal is solid? Just seeking some opinions right now. This will be my first Tesla.

Seems reasonable. Though at that age I believe that only the powertrain is still under warranty.

Well - that would seem unusual as Tesla doesn't allow you to purchase an extended warranty like that - ie after the original was out. Now it is possible that he bought a 2014 build in July of 2015 but that is also unusual.
At that age, you would really want to know how well it supercharged and what its range was before buying. Both of these were hit pretty hard for various cars as a way of protecting the battery. It has created quite the uproar. It should have hit resale values.
My blue book is 25k on a 2015 70D, AP1. If I could sell if for 34k, I would be driving a Y as fast as it could get here. Well - probably a new S.
At 34k, you are in Model 3 range. Why not get a 3?
You do know you can get a new S for $70k? Faster, faster supercharging (maybe double speed, maybe triple peak), AWD, near double range, AP, better seats, etc etc.
Also know that extended warranty carries a $200 deductible per visit.

Last edited:
guys, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger today. I've been doing my research for about 10 days straight on this forum and elsewhere.

But before I make a $100k (Canadian) decision I feel like I have to ask for reasons why I *shouldn't* get a brand new Model S today.

Consider this the equivalent of standing up at a wedding to say why the bride and groom should not be wed.

Notes:
* I can afford the vehicle and my SO is on board
* I have a toddler, but will not be too fussed if she stains the seats or causes small cosmetic damage
* I will not try to set it to FSD (I'm not even getting it, at least at first) and go to sleep or text on my phone
* I live in a rural, snowy area, but don't have to drive very far or even every day

If you can think of any reason that this man and this car should not be together, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Can you add:
* I have other cars I can drive if this one has quality issues, breaks, or gets into an accident, and therefore has to be dropped off (or towed) for service for some time
* I am very forgiving when it comes to things like not warrantying yellowing screens, remotely reducing range of the car or power of the car if the company finds out my battery might not last the duration of the 8 years of warranty, or the UI or behavior of the car changing due to over-the-air update (including things which used to work no longer working)

If yes, get it, Teslas are amazing cars to drive, they are just a pain to own. Oh, and don't buy or believe any "coming soon" features, if it's not there on delivery day, assume it will never be there so you won't be disappointed.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd and OrbiterTI4
Well - that would seem unusual as Tesla doesn't allow you to purchase an extended warranty like that - ie after the original was out. Now it is possible that he bought a 2014 build in July of 2015 but that is also unusual.
At that age, you would really want to know how well it supercharged and what its range was before buying. Both of these were hit pretty hard for various cars as a way of protecting the battery. It has created quite the uproar. It should have hit resale values.
My blue book is 25k on a 2015 70D, AP1. If I could sell if for 34k, I would be driving a Y as fast as it could get here. Well - probably a new S.
At 34k, you are in Model 3 range. Why not get a 3?
You do know you can get a new S for $70k? Faster, faster supercharging (maybe double speed, maybe triple peak), AWD, near double range, AP, better seats, etc etc.
Also know that extended warranty carries a $200 deductible per visit.

Well the range still had the original capacity of battery,I was also able to verify percentage in person. The vehicle was purchased last year from the current owner on the Tesla website and also verified the warranty information with me that included 8yrs or unlimited miles from service date for Drivetrain, pre extend limited warranty 2 yrs or 100,000 from purchase (July 2019) and 2 years supplemental warranty from purchase

The current bluebook I see for the 85 2014 is a little over 36k. Im choosing the used S over a new 3 for some reasons
1. Personally like the S feel and look more
2. Free Unlimited Supercharging
3. Less Sales Tax/Insurance
4. Convenience of inspection/test drive where as a model 3 I wouldn't have the same accessibility due to teslas slow responsiveness and farther private sellers