Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who unplugged me??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have about fifteen 240 chargers at work. During the day you'll see Volts, Leafs, Fusions and several Ss and Xs plugged in. Last week, a Leaf owner unplugged someone's Model X to plug in his car. No note, no call to security to ask to contact the owner to request they move - nothing. The X owner was very upset. Teslas obviously use J-1772 adapters here. I was told the adapter was left in the X, but the charger cord was extracted. Can the charger be unplugged from Teslas without damaging the car? I'm not sure if the X was done charging. The EVers where I work, for the most part, try to move their cars, this time that didn't happen. I haven't tried to unplug my this way. I thought I'd check here first. Thoughts?

Where I live, there are multiple charging sites that have two reserved spots per *one* charger. It's a pretty common practice to look and see if the charger is actually charging or is it sitting idle and plugged into a car in the other spot. If the car is not charging (like at the airport) it's expected that you will pull the charger and plug your car in. When you come back, if the other car is still there, you plug him back in - maybe he get's a little burp charge...
If my Tesla is done (as shown on the charger - not the car) please help yourself to the charger. Just leave my adapter locked where it is..

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Most J1772's have a locking hole. I bought a small combination padlock that I slip in the locking hole if I suspect the location is questionable as seen in the attached pic.

J1772-16A-Electric-Vehicle-Plug-and-Lead-With-Side-Cap.jpg

But when someone unplugs you doesn’t the chsrgeport go crazy trying to close itself but the adapter is in the way...will that damage anything

My MS was built in July 2017. When someone pulls the charger, the adapter stays locked in place, the charge port door doesn't do a thing. It just patiently waits for me to unlock the car (and port) and still doesn't try to close until I pull the adapter, get in the car and press the brake.

But when someone unplugs you doesn’t the chsrgeport go crazy trying to close itself but the adapter is in the way...will that damage anything

The door doesn't close automatically. It needs a slight push or unlocking/locking the car or pushing the charge wand button.

Even so, it's not going to damage anything if it tries to close and the adapter is in place.

The door doesn't close automatically. It needs a slight push or unlocking/locking the car or pushing the charge wand button.

What?
Every time I unplug a charger (at home), I walk to the HPWC to hung it in there, by the time I am done, I head that the charge port closes all by itself. 100% of the time. I don't press any buttons or anything, the car does not lock (because I am nearby).

What?
Every time I unplug a charger (at home), I walk to the HPWC to hung it in there, by the time I am done, I head that the charge port closes all by itself. 100% of the time. I don't press any buttons or anything, the car does not lock (because I am nearby).

Refresh S and all Xs will auto close after about 5 seconds. Older S cars require a slight push or command.