Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who unplugged me??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the airport I park at, it's the parking security that would be pissed off. They are constantly getting complaints about cars sitting, all charged up and taking up the valuable charging space, when the cable could easily reach the next space over..

I got unplugged yesterday but the difference was that I had an "OK to unplug" note on my dash (actually, an EV Frisbee). Got a thank you text message from the LEAF driver who really needed the charge (he plugged me in again after he was done). I'd have already been done and out of the way by then but the charge station had been ICEd in the morning by some pickup trucks. EVs are rare here so I use public charge stations whenever I can so that they are seen as being used. Not the same as places with dozens of charge stations and hundreds or thousands of EVs.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
What?
Every time I unplug a charger (at home), I walk to the HPWC to hung it in there, by the time I am done, I head that the charge port closes all by itself. 100% of the time. I don't press any buttons or anything, the car does not lock (because I am nearby).
If you unplug the J1772 but leave the adapter in, the car knows about it and will not attempt to close the charge-port. Not just that, it won't let you drive away either. As far as the car is concerned, this is similar to a power outage - if you shut off your breaker to your HPWC you will notice that the car won't let you drive either.

No, mine is motorized, but does not auto-close. It's not a refresh car, as croman said.
One of our cars is a non-refresh and it does auto-close, though sometimes not until you put it in drive. Try it out, unplug, and if the charger doesn't auto-close, put it in drive.

PS> To ensure yours is in fact motorized, can you CLOSE the charge port from the main screen? If not, then it's not motorized, it's just spring loaded and auto-releases (that was the case on my first MS from Nov 2013).

Leaf owner should have still asked first, but do you (or that X owner) really NEED to charge? Unless you guys have 100+ mile 1 way commutes, you shouldn't need to charge.... especially at a place that sounds like has more demand than supply of EVSE's. You're not just milking free employer charging to save a few pennies, are you? o_O
Let the short range saps have access to the chargers. There's also these things called "Superchargers" you can exclusively use for free.

Leaf owner should have still asked first, but do you (or that X owner) really NEED to charge? Unless you guys have 100+ mile 1 way commutes, you shouldn't need to charge.... especially at a place that sounds like has more demand than supply of EVSE's. You're not just milking free employer charging to save a few pennies, are you? o_O
Let the short range saps have access to the chargers. There's also these things called "Superchargers" you can exclusively use for free.
You should never just unplug someone, even if you think you know they don't need it. I have free charging at work (at least it was free last time I used it, even though it uses Blink chargers IIRC). While I never charge there on regular basis, there were 2 occasions in the last 4 years where I DID need the extra charge because of the additional driving I was expecting to do after work. If someone unplugged me, that would not have been fun as I had to pick some people up from the an airport and there was no superchargers around (still isn't, coming soon since 2013, though finally got some movement this year).

The only exception to that would be if I really needed it and the connected car was no longer charging (which you can tell by looking at the some charging stations), and I could unplug it without causing any damage.

It is good EV etiquette to not charge if you really don't need it, even if it's free.

Last edited:
Ok, you guys are right. My door does auto-close after about 5-10 seconds. Guess I just never waited that long.

It also closes as soon as I hit the brake pedal to turn on the car. Switching to "Drive" isn't needed, it's already closed by that point.

In terms of the J1772 adapter scenario, I did a little test video.

In terms of the J1772 adapter scenario, I did a little test video.

It might behave differently (i.e. not attempt to auto-close) if:
1. You were charging from J1772 and then unplug it but leave the adapter
2. Your car is locked

I recall long time unplugging J1772 and the adapter staying in, then relocating itself and I could not drive away. Had to plug in the J1772 and then remove them both at the same time.

If you unplug the J1772 but leave the adapter in, the car knows about it and will not attempt to close the charge-port. Not just that, it won't let you drive away either. As far as the car is concerned, this is similar to a power outage - if you shut off your breaker to your HPWC you will notice that the car won't let you drive either.
Interesting that you say that you can't drive with the adapter in place. I can with my classic S — did it a couple of days ago to adjust my parking position. The dash does warn me that my charge door is open, of course.