Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who uses automatic car washes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around here there are only high pressure washers where the car remains in place and the pressure washer runs around the car so obviously no issues. Do not use them often at all but sometimes in winter it can get really messy so I swing by (so far only 1 time). I normally hand wash my cars in the garage during the winter but much prefer outdoors in the driveway.

I recently found out some countries/places do not allow you to wash your car at home as the run off is considered pollution. Cannot imagine having such strict laws but I guess eventually it may come.

I use them frequently as I'm on a monthly car wash subscription. I always remember to do three things...turn off the wipers, fold the mirrors and shift to neutral. I have some streaking but I use some stuff at home to get the water stains off the paint.

I only take my wife’s 15-year-old Lexus through automatic washes. Her car is already scratched, dented, with swirls that she doesn’t care about or even notice. I wouldn’t take my Lexus through the car wash, let alone my Model S.

I didn’t splurge for PPF but the ceramic coating alone has made car washing so quick and easy on the Model S. It takes me longer to bring out all the towels, buckets, soap, foam cannon, leaf blower, etc. than the actual car wash time. Plus, ceramic coating allows the car to literally rinse 90% clean after a good rain.

Those automatic car wash brushes basically trap dirt and grit from other cars and then slap it across your paint, creating scratches and swirls in the process. Avoid it if you’re OCD about how your car looks.

Reactions: Big Earl
I went to an unlimited automatic car wash with cloth brushes (vs nylon bristles) for 3 years with two Model Xs.

The new Model Y had staining of a single aluminum trim piece. The SC replaced the trim piece after a lot of back and forth. Since then it hasn’t stained. Recently, the door said it was open in the wash and water came pouring in. SC verified alert and found the rubber seal on the wiring harness was not seated. SC replaced harness this week (two multi-day visits to repair). Lastly, the carbon fiber spoiler started to lift on the right side. According to my PPF shop it’s due to not being centered. SC claims automatic car wash damage, but replaced as a courtesy since only 1,500mi.

I just had the car wrapped and Graphene coated. Really would like to go back to the unlimited plan car wash. The PPF shop said it wouldn’t warranty if using brush car wash. Seems odd since Xpel website says it’s okay after 48 hours.

Right now I’m doing hand wash until I figure out if it’s safe to take the PPF through a standard automatic wash.

As a side note, I always follow up with a quik detailer spray wipe down after the wash at home. You'd be surprised how much residue and soap is left over from the wash.

Don't fall for the PPF self healing crap. They show demo videos with someone scratching the heck out of the ppf and simply run hot water over it and the swirls are gone. You definitely get swirls with a car wash and they don't heal. I even tried using a heat gun to remove them, no effect.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Wish Tesla would add a "CAR WASH" mode. Seems like a simple OTA some intern could knock that out in a few hours. I'm 68 with COPD and hand washing is a long and tiring process. So far I have not need to use a "touch less" car wash as our winter has been mild and started using Turtle Waxes Rinse less Spray Wash, plus with COVID if it's nasty outside I just don't drive, but sooner or later I'm going to need to get the road grime off my Y and I'll be forced to use a Touch-less Car Wash.

Reactions: RNHurt and vickh
Personally, I have never taken any of my cars to one, I generally changed oil (a lot) more often than washing now I can no longer say that.

Hand wash, 2 bucket style, afraid of pressure washers - they squirt into all the wrong places - like falling while water skiing and not letting go of the rope :)

Wish Tesla would add a "CAR WASH" mode. Seems like a simple OTA some intern could knock that out in a few hours. I'm 68 with COPD and hand washing is a long and tiring process. So far I have not need to use a "touch less" car wash as our winter has been mild and started using Turtle Waxes Rinse less Spray Wash, plus with COVID if it's nasty outside I just don't drive, but sooner or later I'm going to need to get the road grime off my Y and I'll be forced to use a Touch-less Car Wash.

they had CAR WASH" mode. mentioned at end of V10 launch video Introducing Software Version 10.0

still nothing :(