Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants in on a class action lawsuit? ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2013 Model S 60 with ~42k on it. Drive normally in LA (traffic, no freezing weather). Original range was 208, now can't get past 165, about 20% down. Repeated visits to Tesla service end up with the same answer: the battery is fine and nothings wrong; essentially, "sit down and shut up." Finally, I wrote a letter to the CTO explaining that if GM's cars had a 20% reduction in their gas tanks in ~40k miles, there would be a recall. That letter did nothing - just another local guy called me to tell me nothing's wrong.

Worse yet, I'm still such a believer that there are at least three people who have bought Teslas thanks to my referrals.

Is anyone else having this problem from normal driving? Am I crazy to think I'm being mistreated?

It's unfortunate, the original 60s seem to be the worst in terms of observed degradation over time. You're not the only one.

That said, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Tesla's documentation is pretty clear that batteries degrade over time and degradation is not covered under the battery warranty. You knew that when you bought the car, yes?

I was going to say that Tesla has 8 years warranty on the S battery so you should be good, but then I read the fine prints saying that it excludes the S60 made before 2015, so you are kind of SOL.

The 60 still has a 8-year 125k mile warranty... (And recently someone had a 60 with 150k miles on it and Tesla replaced his 60kWh battery with a 75kWh battery under warranty and even unlocked it without any additional charge.)

Are you set to “rated” or “ideal” miles?

Is this with the charge slider set to 100%?

How often do you charge to 100%?

Could you post a pic of your car charged to 100% with the miles set to “rated?”
Rated miles.

I rarely charge to 100% and typically start charging between 5 and 20 miles remaining.

Attachments

• 20180922_130920.jpg
    20180922_130920.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and bhzmark
Rated miles.

I rarely charge to 100% and typically start charging between 5 and 20 miles remaining.
Life of the battery would be much better if you wouldn't run the battery down so low. I try never to go below 20%. Deep discharge is one of the worst things you can to to your battery. It would be much better to charge whenever possible and top off to 90%.

I've got a 2013 Model S 60 with ~42k on it. Drive normally in LA (traffic, no freezing weather). Original range was 208, now can't get past 165, about 20% down. Repeated visits to Tesla service end up with the same answer: the battery is fine and nothings wrong; essentially, "sit down and shut up." Finally, I wrote a letter to the CTO explaining that if GM's cars had a 20% reduction in their gas tanks in ~40k miles, there would be a recall. That letter did nothing - just another local guy called me to tell me nothing's wrong.

Worse yet, I'm still such a believer that there are at least three people who have bought Teslas thanks to my referrals.

Is anyone else having this problem from normal driving? Am I crazy to think I'm being mistreated?

Why do you think this merits a class action? Outright bold faced lying that the car your selling has 691 hp when it really only has 463 is the kind of issue that merits a class action.

Once you're down 30%, Tesla will replace your battery since you're in California.

Life of the battery would be much better if you wouldn't run the battery down so low. I try never to go below 20%. Deep discharge is one of the worst things you can to to your battery. It would be much better to charge whenever possible and top off to 90%.

Not true. Only if you go low enough to reverse the polarity of some of the cells in a string. It's perfectly safe to run a Li-Ion battery down to zero as long as it's not exposed to negative polarity.