Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants Park Distance Control - Call to all Model S Reservation Holders

Do you want Park Distance Control Added to your Model S (EU)

• YES! I want Parking Sensors

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • NO! I do not need them

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • NEUTRAL - Don't really care either way.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I'm not an European Reservation Holder

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who wants, or Not, Park Distance Control - Call to all Model S Reservation Holders

Please cast your vote here if you want Park Distance Control (aka Parking Sensors).
The goal of this Poll is to record what percentage of reservation holders in EU would really like this feature added - and who not - to provide feedback to Tesla.

Last edited:
I would think that most European customers definitely want parking sensors

- we are used to them from other cars
- parking spaces are very small here
- we do not want to scratch the car
- high tech car? no parking sensors? = spartan car

personally, I would either
a) wait till they are available from Tesla
b) search for a viable after market solution

I haven't made up my mind yet, whether a or b.

I don't understand the need of parking sensors when you have a camera?

- because the camera only shows you the back of the car
- no indication in the front space
- you have to look at the screen to see where you are driving. with sensors you can keep your eyes scanning the vicinity and you "hear" the distance
- camera gets dirty

no sensors = no 100'000€ car...

Well I don't see why this is a european problem. I just was in New York and they park like they put on vaseline on their cars ;)

Not having parking sensors as an extra is just so 2004. I'd also say that the sensors should show the obsticles graphically on the touchscreen.

I voted that I want them. Compared to the US (except for some cities like NYC) our parking spaces are a lot smaller and we have to do a lot of parallel parking.

If Tesla doesn't add them in some way I'll have them installed aftermarket.

I had a set of parking sensors put on my MS85. My installer got them from England - Cobra 0356/0358 (different sets of 4 each which look identical for front and back) and Cobra 0026/0027 front and rear display units (again different but look identical), but they were made in Italy. They give both visual and audible signals front and back to left, right and middle. Helps in tight parking spots and for senior citizens even in bigger spaces. Would have preferred to have factory installed, but these are quite good. Not integrated with the screen like the parking sensors on my Lexus. The Tesla is a pretty long car, but especially a wide car for the narrow European roads.

I do not want them. Have them on our VW, all have been replaced and some twice. A big hassle when they start to malfunction. I much prefer the camera we have in the Leaf.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not want them. Have them on our VW, all have been replaced and some twice. A big hassle when they start to malfunction. I much prefer the camera we have in the Leaf.

- because the camera only shows you the back of the car
- no indication in the front space
- you have to look at the screen to see where you are driving. with sensors you can keep your eyes scanning the vicinity and you "hear" the distance
- camera gets dirty

no sensors = no 100'000€ car...

My camera is dirty 50% of the time and unusable. I don't want a camera, I want sensors!

I need them (no parking sensors, no model S says my wife). I have them on my mercedes, never have problems with it. Much better then a camera. They need to be installed by Tesla, because otherwise you have to switch them on and off (the front ones) and that's something you forget when you're in a hurry. That is precisely the situations to get damages.

Thanks for your vote, much appreciated.

I do want to add that obviously when getting sensors we do expect them to function. Have also never experienced or heard of a malfunction in sensors (or software?) and you as a customer can expect working ones (from VW).

The camera is great but there a a few issues that would need to be resolved:
- Fogging, or dirty camera (can get really bad so no vision at all)
- Small obstacles are easily missed
- Focus on monitor instead of the road (no audio feedback)
- Does not cover the front (for large car would be good to have this, with Leaf (also great car!) less required )

The model S is a really big car and hard to oversee everything combined with European small roads and way too small (limited) parkingspaces (and Parking houses/garages) one might want/love/expect/need/appreciate the extra help of some technology

I voted yes because parking sensors are handy. But let's not make this a life or death-issue (car or no car). After reading these posts I wonder how we ever managed to park our cars safely 10 years ago! It's not like parking spaces were larger then and cars much smaller. I know, such an expensive and advanced car should have park assist. But some make it sound as if they are no longer able to park a car without sensors.

Last edited:
Park distance sensors are sooo 2003 :wink:

A high tech car like the S should have around view monitors like the (latest model of) Leaf.

Nissan-Around-View-Monitor-2-lg.jpg

I voted yes because parking sensors are handy. But let's not make this a life or death-issue (car or no car). After reading these posts I wonder how we ever managed to park our cars safely 10 years ago! It's not like parking spaces were larger then and cars much smaller. I know, such an expensive and advanced car should have park assist. But some make it sound as if they are no longer able to park a car without sensors.

Cars are getting larger generation after generation. See the Golf just for one example. There are few exceptions to the rule.
Second, cars of ten, twenty years ago were easier to park also because you could see where they ended. With many modern cars and their awkward shapes and tiny rear windows you can barely judge their size from inside.
And third, even if "normal" cars (sizewise) might be parkable without PDC, the Model S is a behemoth! Have you ever seen one in person? Have you seen its dimensions? Any car that large (and at that price) nowadays just has PDC front and rear. I can understand anyone who says that this is a dealbreaker to her/him. That Tesla doesn't offer these parking sensors even as an option is laughable, to say the least. Same with power folding side mirrors. Not offering those on a car of such a width has got to be a very bad joke!