TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who will keep the air suspension always on low with firmware 5.9?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rainman50, Mar 28, 2014.

1. rainman50

rainman50 Member

I'm ready to order a P85 but I'm on the fence in which suspension to get. I see that in Firmware 5.9 that the air was reinstated to be able to be put in low position. From what I knew before the air went to low at a speed greater than about 55mph, correct? I see that in Firmware 5.9 that you can keep it low all the time or set a speed or have it never to go to low.
    This update got me siding more with the air instead of the coils. I'm wondering if anyone placed it in low at all times and noticed any increase in handling at all.
    I do like the look of the car when it is at its lowest setting rather than being on coils. Did anyone check to see if the new lower position is the same position as it was previously?

I'd still have to drive one that was on low all the time and see how it feels.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Lowering is reportedly about 5 mm less than previous.

3. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Can anyone confirm that the new low height is the same (or lower) than the previous low height?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The amount lowered is supposed to be slightly less than previous, but there hasn't been any confirmed accurate measurements. I see where I wasn't all that clear before. Sorry about that, Chief.

5. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

The lowered suspension improved the handling and body control. But more importantly I raise suspension about once a week to avoid hitting speed bumps and drive ways. The standard suspension is actually fairly low to begin with. So keep that in mind too.

6. towman26

towman26 Member

I am like Jeddi, I like the air because of speed bumps and getting into some parking lots. Also on regular suspensions cars I have towed the front is scratched up because of the parking stops.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

I live in the SF Bay Area with lousy roads (even highways) so I set lowering to 65 MPH--understand that there is hysteresis with some lag in lowering and going back to Standard.

8. smorgasbord

From reading the NHTSA statement, it would appear that Tesla demonstrated to the NHTSA what ride height was necessary to avoid impacts with things like the 3 ball trailer hitch, which is why I suspect that the new low height is not as low as the previous to the Nov change low height. If anyone is still running 5.7 (or was it 5.6?) that has the original low height, it would be useful to compare against the new 5.9 low height, just for the record.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Will the NTHSA mandate or recommend other cars not have a clearance below the new Model S height then?

10. smorgasbord

Unlikely. The totality of the design is what matters, and the NHTSA probably recognizes that. Tesla could have moved the battery pack or done something else to mitigate the problem. What we do know is that, for the trailer hitch issue, raising the car satisfied the NHTSA. But, for the other debris apparently not. So, Tesla also needed the reinforcement solution.

11. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I'm just as excited about the opposite--being able to leave the ride high during falling rock season here in Colorado.

12. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

i know it's a ton of pages to browse but that was done to the mm in the 100+ page thread about removal of lowering. Anyone who wants to do before after measurement could go there. I did not look it up because I'm barely even curious.

13. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Let's not forget that the camber is more negative with lowering for those concerned about tire wear.

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

For those who are going to ride low all the time, it may behoove you to have your local SC install those rear camber bolts in order to remove as much camber as possible.

15. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Good point, added this two days ago to the list of things-to-do at my SC appointment in two weeks time. Together with Tank Mode, foglights, scratched Windows Exchange, plus some minor works.

16. jbruce

jbruce Member

I will. I've lowered almost every car I've ever had. I feel awkwardly high in the Model S.

17. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Doesn't that comprise a DUI offence? :)
    Back on topic. I got the rear camber bolts replaced. For free, under warranty. But had to pay € 140 ex tax for the necessary wheel alignment, as the bolt replacement wasn't really a necessety.

18. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Yes I can confirm that the 5.9 low is higher than the previous low - approximately 1/4"