Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Wins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question, if anyone can help please?

If my Mrs and I both use the car and have profiles and both have our phones connected and we both approach the car to go out, who will unlock it and get the car set up in their profile?

I suppose we should approach it with caution one at a time? 😂

If so how far apart?

Problems, problems🤔

Cheers

If both phones are within range it's mostly down to luck / who was the last driver.
If you want to maximise chances driver needs pull the handle first while the other one stays a couple steps behind.
Or you need to act fast to switch profiles on the screen if it got it wrong and you don't want your knees getting crushed (assuming like most of us your wife is the shorter one...)

Upvote 0
If both phones are within range it's mostly down to luck / who was the last driver.
If you want to maximise chances driver needs pull the handle first while the other one stays a couple steps behind.
Or you need to act fast to switch profiles on the screen if it got it wrong and you don't want your knees getting crushed (assuming like most of us your wife is the shorter one...)

This pretty much describes the situation. Wife and I have gotten used to having the passenger (whomever that is) not touch the passenger car door until the person driving opens the drivers door. Sometimes, the car still gets it wrong (we have both a model 3 and Y, and the 3 is my primary vehicle, the Y is hers).

If we are going somewhere together, and I am driving, I make sure to open the drivers door first. In general, what we do to make this "somewhat" organic, is whomever is driving is the one who goes in the garage first, the other person sets our home alarm system to "away" mode using its touch panel, then goes to the garage.

Setting the alarm gives a 5-10 second lag time for whomever went out to the garage first to get to the drivers door of whichever car we are taking, and open the door.

Even with that, sometimes the car is wrong. Not often, but sometimes. If i am the one driving, I have gotten used to opening the door and pausing a beat before I try to get in. If we are in the 3 (which remember I normally drive) if I open the door and the chair starts scrunching up, I know it selected her profile. When we are in the Y (which is her primary car) if I open the door and it DOESNT start moving, then I know its on her profile.

Its all become second nature at this point, and its one of those "first world problem among first world problem" things, but it did take some getting used to and also some tolerance.

Reactions: AndyEVTM3
Upvote 0
When we do "the approach", it stays on the profile of the person who drove last. It has not been an issue except 1 time my spouse remained in the car and the alarm went off. We both got notification on our phones of the alarm! Whoever gets there 1st causes the car to unlock, it seems.

Reactions: AndyEVTM3
Upvote 0
People might think this, and that may even be how its "supposed" to work, but it doesnt always work that way, in my experience at least.

Its never been suggested by Tesla that it does anything other than provide a priority device for media - its only mention is in regard to paired bluetooth devices in media settings of manual. No mention of it wrt to use of bluetooth key or driver profiles. imho I think it is fair to say that any correlation between selected driver profile and priority bluetooth device is purely coincidental.

From 2020.40 release notes
To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones. To set your priority device, tap the Bluetooth icon at the top of your touchscreen, select your preferred phone and tap Priority Device.

And the manual phone and calendar section - no other reference to priority device, ie under driver profile selection
1670229548435.png

Upvote 0
Adding my experience (admittedly limited as only had the car just over a week) sometimes it works like a dream. As in, if my wife and I both approach the car it will have the correct profile for whoever opens the drivers door. But then other times it stays on my profile. For example today she went out and I was in house upstairs, but when wife opened car it was in my profile (I had driven last)

At least so far it has only got the profile wrong for my wife so the seat pushes back. Thankfully it hasn't worked the other way where I get my legs crushed.

Upvote 0
Correct.........
You would think so ... but not consistently in my experience. My phone was selected as priority but my wife's battered old cheapo phone always captured the profile no matter what! She then started having general connectivity issues between her phone and the car and nowadays my phone always connects first. (rather unkindly I haven't offered to investigate the matter further 😈);)

Upvote 0
You would think so ... but not consistently in my experience. My phone was selected as priority but my wife's battered old cheapo phone always captured the profile no matter what! She then started having general connectivity issues between her phone and the car and nowadays my phone always connects first. (rather unkindly I haven't offered to investigate the matter further 😈);)
I believe I’m primary and generally drive. We got in the car today and all was fine until we got out to walk away. I didn’t hear a locked sound, so walked back to retrieve my phone. Oops, I’d forgotten it at home and car locked. No indication I didn’t have it during the drive. It was driving based on spouse’s phone, though it remained on my profile. It was seemless, surprisingly.

Upvote 0
I believe I’m primary and generally drive. We got in the car today and all was fine until we got out to walk away. I didn’t hear a locked sound, so walked back to retrieve my phone. Oops, I’d forgotten it at home and car locked. No indication I didn’t have it during the drive. It was driving based on spouse’s phone, though it remained on my profile. It was seemless, surprisingly.
That’s most likely when the phone is set up as a key but not linked to auto set a driver profile.
If you go on the car settings and Keys check that your wife phone listed has the persona icon with her profile name underneath.
Otherwise as you described it will just unlock the car and stay on the last profile driven

Reactions: Jason71
Upvote 0
That’s most likely when the phone is set up as a key but not linked to auto set a driver profile.
If you go on the car settings and Keys check that your wife phone listed has the persona icon with her profile name underneath.
Otherwise as you described it will just unlock the car and stay on the last profile driven
I was going to mention this it has come up a few times in threads. People set up the phone as a key, set up the profile but don't realise that they still have to link the specific profile to the key. Does not account for anyone having intermittent issues though.

For people worried about getting their legs crushed due to their tiny partners profile. Easy entry will (litterally) give you some breathing space if the car gets it wrong.

Upvote 0