Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would try this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No probably not. I've seen a few 1.5s and 2.0 with these type units....all I have seen block the vents. My opinion is, if you are going to go to the trouble of swapping out the radio for a new one, is go for a retrofit of a 2.5 double din unit. Sounds like it is somewhat of a pain, and not sure all the parts are still available, but definitely worth it if possible. The folding out screen to me is a flawed implementation, and unacceptable if it blocks airflow.

I totally admit to being apple biased...

Pioneer launching 5 new aftermarket CarPlay receivers including 7-inch single-DIN model

Think it would actually clear the air vents?

Reading at the comments for the above "9to5mac.com" posting,
most users would get this device for older cars just to get a map with traffic information.

Might not worthwhile compared getting your own iPad Mini. See the following extract: "Wayner83"

"The biggest downfall of almost all of these systems is the POI (?) and street updates
use either HereMaps or OpenMaps for their information which is paltry in comparison
to even Apple Maps and definitely Google.

Updates every few months is nothing compared to live updates data from your phones either.
And all of this ignores the fact that I do not want to have to pay $100-$300 a year to have
live traffic database which most car companies charge.

Even with that data, you rarely get traffic avoidance re-routing that you currently get with
Apple, Google, and Waze. That compounded with the sluggish interface
(which they ALL have, even Volvo and Audi when compared to CarPlay and AA),
and it is an overall inferior experience."

Last edited:
I totally admit to being apple biased...

Pioneer launching 5 new aftermarket CarPlay receivers including 7-inch single-DIN model

Think it would actually clear the air vents?
Interesting, and tempting. But to get NAV, either you're depending on your cell phone (Android or Apple), which can be annoying, or you'd need the AVIC-U280 add-on ($400). So, total $1,000 suggested list, plus installation if you don't do it yourself... That's about as much as the 2-DIN dash upgrade, if even you could find the parts to do it, not including the new in-dash unit itself.

I know Nav isn't that critical for most, and given the road noise level, neither is listening to music, but I like to have an in-dash system for both. This is instead of relying on a phone that tends to lock its screen at inconvenient times, and kill off an app spontaneously whenever it feels like it. Using your phone for Nav, for example, means that you can't do other things with the in-dash unit that would divert its audio attention away from the Bluetooth port. For example, I can't hear the turn-by-turn directions from the phone, if the in-dash unit is playing music from FM, Sirius, or the local HDD. I want the AND of features, not the OR of them.

The airflow blockage would only be when the screen is deployed, and I think for simple listening you can do that with the screen stowed. Even so, you still have the side vents (the passenger vent is not that far away), and the car is so air tight that added ventilation may not be all that critical :).

So, it's expensive but tempting. Thanks for pointing it out.