Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoa Holy Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever my car phantom-brakes, I immediately hit the accelerator to override it. While not ideal, this at least mitigates the possibility of being rear-ended.

I find that most of my phantom-braking happens when a car ahead of me in an adjacent lane starts to swerve into my lane. Even if the car is pretty far away. As soon as one of their tires compromises the line, my car brakes pretty hard.

Press Voice Control button, and say, "Bug Report: Inappropriate braking!"

I had phantom braking yesterday....very aggressive and really got my attention.......I will submit bug report tomorrow or the next time it happens.....do they check the computer to see when it happens

I think the "Bug Report" voice command has to be at or near the event time, but I am not certain. From a practical perspective, they likely don't have time time or staff to research too far back to try to match the imagery to your report.

• Informative
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
thank you.....I will submit the next time it happens
Thanks.
My speculation is that any AI Tesla uses isn't sophisticated enough to find these on its own. Tesla really should push for more Bug Reports since we are all Beta Testers, but they don't, perhaps to avoid scaring people?

Regardless, these are all important as phantom braking can be dangerous and suggests that the system learning isn't anywhere near where it needs to be.

Each Bug Report should make it better, or so we all hope!

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Thanks.
My speculation is that any AI Tesla uses isn't sophisticated enough to find these on its own. Tesla really should push for more Bug Reports since we are all Beta Testers, but they don't, perhaps to avoid scaring people?

Regardless, these are all important as phantom braking can be dangerous and suggests that the system learning isn't anywhere near where it needs to be.

Each Bug Report should make it better, or so we all hope!
agreed......

I have owned my 2016 Model S for a year now and have never had this happen to me. One thing it has done is change lanes on it's own when it is following another car or a car passes between me and the car in front of me. I have almost sideswipe cars on 2 different occasions. That is worse than the phantom breaking. At least getting rear ended it won't be your fault.

Happened to me in my M3 yesterday for the first time. I’ve got 1030 miles and only read about phantom braking. I was in the fast lane on the freeway without any cars in adjacent lanes changing lanes or anything. It was fairly cloudy so no shadows or anything on the road and the car braked abruptly while I was going 80. It brought me down to around 60. Thank god no one was behind me.

I recently returned from 7,000 mile road trip. I have 2018 Model 3. During my trip I had several events of phantom braking.

During one of those events I was nearly rear-ended by a semi. This was a particularly hard braking event and my speed dropped quite a bit before I could jump onto the accelerator. Even though the whole thing was over in 2 seconds, I was so shaken up that it took a while to regain my composure. I still don't know how the semi did not hit me, but his horn did let me know how unhappy he was with my driving. No doubt this is a major safety issue.

Reactions: OPRCE
I recently returned from 7,000 mile road trip. I have 2018 Model 3. During my trip I had several events of phantom braking.

During one of those events I was nearly rear-ended by a semi. This was a particularly hard braking event and my speed dropped quite a bit before I could jump onto the accelerator. Even though the whole thing was over in 2 seconds, I was so shaken up that it took a while to regain my composure. I still don't know how the semi did not hit me, but his horn did let me know how unhappy he was with my driving. No doubt this is a major safety issue.

I keep my foot on the accelerator when going under bridges or large signs. Had a major braking event when my windshield was first replaced and went under a large street sign. But by having having my foot on the accelerator (Not pushing it), I could react quickly. Fortunately only has happened to me once.

For me we have a 2016 Model X with FSD HW3 mcu1 the phantom braking seems to occur when the traffic in the other lane slows too much. My lane might be moving along fine but if there is too much differential between my lane and the adjacent lane the car wants to slow down, so I don't go screaming past the traffic in the lane to the right of me. I remember at some point there was an update to slow down when the adjacent lanes were moving too slowly but it seems like its gotten more cautious and slows down even if it isn't necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBasis
For me we have a 2016 Model X with FSD HW3 mcu1 the phantom braking seems to occur when the traffic in the other lane slows too much. My lane might be moving along fine but if there is too much differential between my lane and the adjacent lane the car wants to slow down, so I don't go screaming past the traffic in the lane to the right of me. I remember at some point there was an update to slow down when the adjacent lanes were moving too slowly but it seems like its gotten more cautious and slows down even if it isn't necessary.

Have you noticed any change in phantom braking behavior based on position of sun and location of shadows?

That seems to explain the latest behavior. In addition to highway exits ramp braking, lately the car has been violently braking on a city through street at very low speed. There are speed cameras on this street near my home so I always set AP speed to the limit (40km/h) which is very slow. The lane is double wide with parking in the right lane but few cars are actually parked there. It seems when I am passing by a parked car, the AP beeps loudly and slams on the brakes and then continues. This is a fairly recent 2020.20?, occurrence but it is not safe at all.