Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoa Holy Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have noticed on the panel that every time when phantom braking happens the displayed speed limit drops from, say 70 to 50, or even a "blank". IMO the car then decides to rapidly drop to the new limit.

The question is, why on earth, does this "smart" car think that the speed limit has changed when you and I know it hasn't. One theory is that it assumes you are on the exit lane due to GPS error (you'll find it in the manual under TACC!). I find this hard to believe for multiple reasons, but I won't go into it.

My theory is that the map software has erroneous or blank values for speed limits at certain locations. (Could these locations have had construction happen at some time in recent past??). And until these are updated we are stuck.

If there is one item that is absolutely frustrating in a $90k car, it is this stupid cruise control. There is no setting in the car for a "dumb" cruise control, which is what I want until this thing is perfected.
I think this may be something. On a local 2 lane road, the map data clearly things about 200 feet are 25 MPH instead of the posted and very visible 35 MPH. I think the car should trust reading the speed limit over a change in "old" map data, at least for a few hundred yards. Then maybe it could display a message if it can't figure it out. I bet the other time on the interstate when my car slams on the brakes for no reason and then resumes quickly is the map data is missing. The car then assumes the state's limits when the speed limit is not posted. In my state that would be 25 MPH on local roads, and 55 MPH on limited access roads.