Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoever's designing the plastic clips at Tesla needs to be deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since new, I've never been able to fasten all 12 cowling clips to the frunk liner. AKA the "underhood apron" - the piece that's covering the 12V battery. I can get the ones on the extremities to snap in place, but never the ones on the back of the frunk luggage compartment. I thought it was just stupid design. Well, today, I was doing some work to the car & noticed there's something called the "underhood storage reinforcement clips:"

3nCQ6hg.png

Both of mine have been broken ever since the car was assembled:

C7Oyw6P.jpg

nB1GvCy.jpg

Here's what it looks like prior to getting destroyed:

1131205-00-c-500x500.jpeg

Part # 1131205-00-C

I don't understand why this thing must be so horrendously complex. 99% of it is extremely beefy, but its entire function depends on 3 measly points that look like they belong in one of those plastic model grids you break pieces out of as a kid. And they're bearing the entire load of an operator slamming the cowling down onto the fasteners when they're rushing to assemble 5 million cars a day. I can't entirely blame them - they're trying to get cars out the door and I'm sure these pieces breaking sounds the exact same as the christmas trees snapping into place.

Seems like the trend continues in the Model Y...

Are they hiring kids straight out of college to come up with this stuff? I was thinking of buying a couple of new ones, but they're gonna be the same *sugar*. I might just make some out of wood or scrap plastic.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else is wondering why they can't get their cowling to snap into place properly.

Reactions: electricar
When a car is designed, people are under tremendous pressure to get something that is cost effective and they can do right away.

After they are on the road for a while, many parts get redesigned to make them better and more efficient,

There are tons of improvements on the Model Y that were the results of what they learned on the Model 3. A large cast rear framework, better connections, improved wiring. Many mentioned by Sandy as big steps forward for Tesla, and in many ways better than what any of the competitors are building.

Tesla has a program of continous running improvements. As soon as a better piece can get designed and produced, it is introduced to the assembly line. The idea is that the speed of innovation and improvement is constantly faster.

Still, always there will be room for improvement.

When a car is designed, people are under tremendous pressure to get something that is cost effective and they can do right away.

After they are on the road for a while, many parts get redesigned to make them better and more efficient,

There are tons of improvements on the Model Y that were the results of what they learned on the Model 3. A large cast rear framework, better connections, improved wiring. Many mentioned by Sandy as big steps forward for Tesla, and in many ways better than what any of the competitors are building.

Tesla has a program of continous running improvements. As soon as a better piece can get designed and produced, it is introduced to the assembly line. The idea is that the speed of innovation and improvement is constantly faster.

Still, always there will be room for improvement.

On the other hand, Tesla also does things like remove interior lights, self dimming mirrors, and other useful features for no apparent reason. Corporate schizophrenia.

I also don't think this piece is particularly cheap to manufacture - it looks very over-engineered.

Anyways, apologies for the idiotic thread title. I wasn't entirely... sober when I posted this.

My solution was to cut up an old plastic card & create a "shelf." There was a gap there, anyway, so dimensionally it's exactly the same - not that it matters all that much there. Sanded down the old stubs, superglued it all together & now it's WAY stronger than it's ever been. Was able to fasten all 12 clips for the first time.

ij3HdzG.jpg

q8NwjbV.jpg

Last edited:
I also don't think this piece is particularly cheap to manufacture - it looks very over-engineered.

Anyways, apologies for the idiotic thread title. I wasn't entirely... sober when I posted this.

My solution was to cut up an old plastic card & create a "shelf." There was a gap there, anyway, so dimensionally it's exactly the same - not that it matters all that much there. Sanded down the old stubs, superglued it all together & now it's WAY stronger than it's ever been. Was able to fasten all 12 clips for the first time.

ij3HdzG.jpg

q8NwjbV.jpg

That’s good stuff! Props to you!

and I chuckled at the thread title...of course I dont think I would as completely sober...heck who knows these days.

Nice fix - Thanks for sharing !!

I finally got around to checking these on my 12/2018 Model 3 and both were broken. I printed up the 3D solution and it worked well.

I'm rather sure these are actually designed to break exactly where they do. Europe has rather strict pedestrian safety standards and my guess is that when you have that person flung across the frunk of your Model 3 they want as much crush zone as possible to cushion the impact.

I did some digging and found a picture of both the Rev B and Rev C version of the part. By my eye they actually DECREASED the molded attachment point between the top and bottom with Rev B and Rev C and actually made the part weaker.

B Rev.jpg
C Rev.jpg

Here is a photo of a repair part I just finished developing (only three prototypes to get it to fit like I want) which allows reinforcement and/or repair. It ca be glued in place or you can back drill through two holes provided and screw or bolt it in place.

Attachments

• A048A0B8-D544-4A88-8848-A9555097FFF0.jpeg
    A048A0B8-D544-4A88-8848-A9555097FFF0.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Rmchrger
Try this repair / reinforcement part:

Reactions: Krock65
I am new to the Tesla ownership, and after making a mesh plate to cover the air inlet to keep small leaves, etc out, I encountered this exact issue. I could not get the maint. cover clipped back in. Fortunately both support clips still had their extensions in place, so I pulled them both out. I used a hot glue gun and tack-glued the 3 points back together and let them set up. I then filled in the 3 sided gaps, front and then after it set up, the back sides, like a glue weld. They are now very rigid and don't even flex. I was able to reinstall them and get the front facing cover clipped in now. I am not sure whether all clips are in, a couple toward the cabin seem to still not be clipped in due to flex on the back side. But thanks to this thread, I was able to find the culprit. I agree, the design of those clips are terrible. In fact I feel there should be a boxed in plastic rib that connects the two sides to put more strength into the clip seams.