Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whole Home Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - so a few days ago, my Powerwalls became unresponsive. On the TESLA app, all of the bubbles (Solar, Grid, Home, Powerwall) were greyed out. I called TESLA support, options 2, 3, 3, and was connected to a person rather quickly.

They didn't know what was wrong other than that the Powerwall meter were offline, but they didn't know why. I was advised to do a Whole Home Reset in the following steps (I have 2 Powerwalls, 31 solar panels with individual micro inverters, and associated installations):

NOTE: Discuss with your installation guy, TESLA, and if following the below steps, use at your own risk
  1. Switch off Microinverter/Envoy breakers
  2. Switch off PV System (solar panel) breakers
  3. Turn off each power wall (on/off switch on the power wall itself)
  4. Switch off Powerwall breakers
  5. Switch off Home Main Breaker (I have a 200amp panel, and that's what was switched off)
  6. Wait 5-10 minutes (note, now the entire house is dead/disconnected from power)
  7. Turn all systems off in reverse order, i.e. from #5 backwards to #1
  8. Finally, log out of TESLA app & log back in (make sure that if you're logged in on multiple devices, that you log out on all of them)
The above steps trigger a Whole Home Reset, and per TESLA support staff, it can take up to 24 hours for the TESLA app and system to become responsive again. In my case, we did the above steps on 4 March 2020 at around 4pm, and at 5 March 2020 at 4pm sharp, the system was up and running again, and the TESLA app tracking energy flow again.

Nobody could tell me what triggered the malfunction, and/or if the simultaneous rollout of the power wall software from 1.44 to 1.45.1 was associated with the issue or its resolution.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't really know what happened but most likely something went wrong with the system update, and resetting it helped to reset and reinstall what went wrong.
My problem with what you are describing is that it takes 24H for things to sync up, they really need to change that.

Hi all - so a few days ago, my Powerwalls became unresponsive. On the TESLA app, all of the bubbles (Solar, Grid, Home, Powerwall) were greyed out. I called TESLA support, options 2, 3, 3, and was connected to a person rather quickly.

They didn't know what was wrong other than that the Powerwall meter were offline, but they didn't know why. I was advised to do a Whole Home Reset in the following steps (I have 2 Powerwalls, 31 solar panels with individual micro inverters, and associated installations):

NOTE: Discuss with your installation guy, TESLA, and if following the below steps, use at your own risk
  1. Switch off Microinverter/Envoy breakers
  2. Switch off PV System (solar panel) breakers
  3. Turn off each power wall (on/off switch on the power wall itself)
  4. Switch off Powerwall breakers
  5. Switch off Home Main Breaker (I have a 200amp panel, and that's what was switched off)
  6. Wait 5-10 minutes (note, now the entire house is dead/disconnected from power)
  7. Turn all systems off in reverse order, i.e. from #5 backwards to #1
  8. Finally, log out of TESLA app & log back in (make sure that if you're logged in on multiple devices, that you log out on all of them)
The above steps trigger a Whole Home Reset, and per TESLA support staff, it can take up to 24 hours for the TESLA app and system to become responsive again. In my case, we did the above steps on 4 March 2020 at around 4pm, and at 5 March 2020 at 4pm sharp, the system was up and running again, and the TESLA app tracking energy flow again.

Nobody could tell me what triggered the malfunction, and/or if the simultaneous rollout of the power wall software from 1.44 to 1.45.1 was associated with the issue or its resolution.
My only question is was the system running though on autopilot, solar panels producing, powerwall charging and discharging perhaps, house not without power?