Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Whompy Wheel" Syndrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving this morning and the car started to pull to the left, as if my tire had gone flat. I pulled over and found that side of the car to be resting on the tire. I thought the air suspension had gone out in that area, but after having it towed, we found the ball joint to have failed. After looking online, I am thankful it wasn't much worse. If you Google Whompy Wheel Syndrome, you'll see plenty of stories where an accident ensued and lots of damage followed. Now I'm just interested to see what this will cost to fix. Guessing I should have the passenger side replaced, as a precaution, as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210224_141152076.jpg
    PXL_20210224_141152076.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 361
  • PXL_20210224_141652362.jpg
    PXL_20210224_141652362.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 164
"Whompy Wheels" is a term coined and perpetuated by a lunatic living in Australia. The pictures associated with that phrase were taken from random pictures the guy found while trawling the internet, and there is no evidence at all that the crashes were in any way associated with the vehicles' suspension.

That is not to say people haven't had suspension issues, but "Whompy Wheels" is FUD and therefore not a legitimate source of information.

I was driving this morning and the car started to pull to the left, as if my tire had gone flat. I pulled over and found that side of the car to be resting on the tire. I thought the air suspension had gone out in that area, but after having it towed, we found the ball joint to have failed. After looking online, I am thankful it wasn't much worse. If you Google Whompy Wheel Syndrome, you'll see plenty of stories where an accident ensued and lots of damage followed. Now I'm just interested to see what this will cost to fix. Guessing I should have the passenger side replaced, as a precaution, as well.

What year and model is your car?

Reactions: skitown
"Whompy Wheels" is a term coined and perpetuated by a lunatic living in Australia. The pictures associated with that phrase were taken from random pictures the guy found while trawling the internet, and there is no evidence at all that the crashes were in any way associated with the vehicles' suspension.

That is not to say people haven't had suspension issues, but "Whompy Wheels" is FUD and therefore not a legitimate source of information.
If the wheel had "fallen" away from my vehicle (and not inward) and I had been traveling on the interstate, which I often do on that regular trip, an accident would certainly have ensued. If you've got a better term to refer to the issue, I'll be glad to hear it. Otherwise, I think "whompy wheels" is a good enough term.

The parts are a few hundred USD.

It is a well known problem affecting the early MS.

Tesla has SB on this issue, should be covered under warranty.

Recall in China.
With 123,xxx miles on the odometer, it's no longer under warranty. Got a quote for $1,2xx.xx to replace both upper control arms. (Plus the $800.00 tow to the service center, if the mobile tech can't handle).

Yeah. It would have been nice if this issue had manifested when I had it towed for a daughterboard replacement back in December. Those $800.00 tows add up.

Perhaps you can make a case it should have been.

The service bulletin had been in place for some time.

They should have checked for it.

Worth a try to see if they will cover it under goodwill, or reduce the price.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865