TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who's black Tesla is this in California?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kenji, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Kenji

Kenji Member

#1 Kenji, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I totally put an ICED pamphlet on a Tesla that had PA tags 2 days ago when it was blocking an EV charging spot. There was a Leaf owner that got ICED by him. the LEAF owner unplugged me and moved my cord down to the ICED space so that he could park next to me and charge on my spot. the LEAF owner wrote a nice note saying he was sorry but had to do it bc it got ICED.. So on my way out I totally put a pamplet on that Tesla and wrote a note saying 'YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN THIS TO NOT PLUG IN AND BLOCK AN EV CHARGER'. There were actually other 3 EV charging spots too were also ICED by gas cars (I was the only one charging and when I plugged in early that morning the entire garage was empty). One of those other cars was a hybrid prius, but I didnt check to see if it was a plug-in model but regardless even if it was it wasnt plugged in anyway. so basically theres 5 spots, 4 were iced. I left pamplets on all the other ppl's windshield's too. the MS owner should def have known better though. That's the first time I've ever left a note on someone's windshield for doing this. I left a note on the LEAF owner's car too saying 'not a problem, i understand' and i also left the pamplet on his car too with a note written on it that said 'for next time!! LOL'.

blink-notice_lasttwo.jpg
    blink-notice_short.jpg

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Wow, some of those notes are really offensive. I would think twice before using those.

4. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Really I have no problem about time they started enforcing tow away for cars parked in charging spots that are not plugged in

5. reddy

reddy Member

OK, I'm not in California, so I don't know the protocol.

And I can't exactly tell from the photo if the Tesla is charging or not.

Is the problem that the Tesla isn't plugged in, thus was blocking the space?

Or are Tesla's not worthy of plugging in, and Leafs are more worthy of using the space?

6. Chuck Lusin

Chuck Lusin Chuck P10548 Jenny P10614

The charge port is on the drivers side rear, so you can see that it is clearly not plugged in. Also you can see the cable sitting on the ground in front of the car.

All EV's are equal when it comes to requiring a charging spot.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'm afraid that if people are so rude as to take a charging spot when not charging that a note will do no good and may even give them satisfaction. Unfortunate that there are so many people out there who only care about themselves. I certainly wouldn't park there unless charging.

Just confirms that my Mom and Dad brought me up right I guess!

8. SBerg

SBerg Member

Unfortunately, owning a Tesla doesn't jerk-proof people.

9. CatB

CatB Member

I like the idea of having something printed to leave on any car that is ICEing a charging spot. Anybody know of one with gentler wording?

10. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

+1.

I wouldn't confront, would call the police, then park where I could watch the police putting a ticket on your car and/or towing it away, and laugh my ass off...

11. tomp

tomp Member

I agree that blocking a charging port is bad form. However, it's possible there is a good reason. An example:

I once was trying to charge at a chargepoint station. The plug would not release from the unit. I even called Chargepoint, and they couldn't get it to release either. They said they'd send a tech out in a day or two. So I parked there, but was not plugged in. I wasn't blocking anyone, but a passerby would have thought otherwise. (And, no, I didn't have paper or something to leave a note on the charging unit)

Just a cautionary note before we go too wild laying blame.

12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Don't really see what all the fuss is about, maybe its because i've never had to use a public charger.... doesn't bother me :shrug:

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

You identify yourself as a future owner. When you become an owner you will see what all the fuss is about, if you really don't understand already.

14. markb1

markb1 Active Member

In the OP's case, he says it's a quick charger, which presumably means CHAdeMO. The Tesla almost certainly doesn't have the adapter that would allow it to use that charger.

15. iffatall

iffatall Member

Just trying to understand better: If the plug would not release, and you find you cannot charge, then (assuming there is ample parking space around) why park there? That will make sure there is no misunderstanding.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Aero wheels!

17. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Yeah, and it's Blue

18. tomp

tomp Member

Good question - there was not ample parking around. I was in the last EV spot, and there was no "normal" parking nearby.
    - - - Updated - - -

Good point. I didn't realize Quick Charger = CHADEMO.

19. iffatall

iffatall Member

OK, in that case, that should be no problem. But yeah you may still get reported on websites such as the one pointed in the OP. The OP case however mentions there was ample regular parking around. So I don't see any justification anyway.

20. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

If I were writing these, I might consider entitling that second one "It May Be You're Not Familiar With Electric Vehicles", and altering its third sentence to something along the lines of "Your parking here is equivalent to an EV using a gas pump site as a parking spot." To me, that is a lot more informative and less confrontational than what is on there.