Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's black Tesla is this in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure that somebody didn't just unplug the Tesla? Without the key fob the Tesla doesn't really indicate if it is charging or not. The glow around the plug and the screens go dark after a while. If the J1772 adapter is plugged in to the car then the car was unplugged by somebody else.

Are you sure that somebody didn't just unplug the Tesla? Without the key fob the Tesla doesn't really indicate if it is charging or not. The glow around the plug and the screens go dark after a while. If the J1772 adapter is plugged in to the car then the car was unplugged by somebody else.

It's a CHAdeMO station. As already mentioned on the 2nd page it's very unlikely that this person has the adapter for using the station (only released in Japan, so presumably only available to Tesla employees or people they might loan to in the US).

Why are we still talking about this?

And anyway, you can see the drive side of the car in the picture, and there doesn't appear to be an adapter of any sort in the charge port, and definitely not a CHAdeMO adapter. If someone had unplugged the car, the adapter would still be locked in place.

In almost two years with the S, I have never used a public charger or parked in an EV spot. I've never needed to. Unfortunately, I'm afraid some EV drivers think that the EV parking spaces are a perk, sort of like the HOV stickers. The spaces are often in prime spots because that's where you can pull the electrical service for lowest cost.

When I go to shows at Symphony Hall in San Francisco, the EV spots at the performing arts garage are often filled with Model S, and I seriously doubt that all of them really needed to use the space. But a LEAF or 500e or Focus EV or whatever owner easily really could need to use it. The Teslas parked there do at least plug in, but still.

I park at a charger under one and only one circumstance: that I need that charge in order to get where I'm going. Not because it's a better spot. Not because "I might as well charge a bit".

I drove low-range EVs for 11 years before I got my Model S (an EV-1 and then a RAV4-EV), so I really get ticked off by this sort of behavior.

I park at a charger under one and only one circumstance: that I need that charge in order to get where I'm going. Not because it's a better spot. Not because "I might as well charge a bit".

I think all of us (Model S owners) should try to do this - Use a public charging station, only if you need to charge.

This should be the behavior of all EV owners, Model S or otherwise.
  1. Don't take a charging spot unless you need power to get to your destination.
  2. Move your car when you have enough power to get to your destination. Don't insist on a full charge if you don't need it, and don't hog the space/charger when you're done.
Nothing changes when you go from a Leaf to a MS, just the distances and charge times involved.

Mike - I think that is a commendable practice and one to be copied.

That said, two comments. First, those who create EV spaces - private or public - ought make them - 100%, no exceptions - for EV Charging Only. This inculcates the concept of their being analogous to fuel filling stations rather than perk parking spaces. To go along with that, they oughtn't be in prime slots. To the extent this is not the case is the extent to which, as time passes, they will be deemed both by EV and non-EV owners alike, as perks - for better and for worse.

Second, to illustrate my belief, consider handicap parking spaces. Unless you live in a universe different from mine, they are abused more often than used appropriately. They quickly became and have remained a perk. And I do not say this with the misunderstanding that they can and do go a ways toward making one person's calamity a bit less difficult; it is because the abusers overwhelm them. I can illustrate this easily by providing the example of my PhD advisor, who refused out of principle to make use of handicap slots, saying they were for those who needed them. This was a person who was born without legs, and had only one usable hand. And drove himself, and would then throw down a dolly and wheel himself around with blocks for motive force. If he, of all people, thought such spots were for those less fortunate, I think that can be a good lesson for all.

Some authorities in some jurisdictions have, I believe I have read, made all EV spaces Charging Only. But unless such were to become universal, then I fear owners, authorities and the general public will allow the slide into favoritism to be the order of the day.

So looked at the PlugShare entry for the location since the cable looked too skinny to me to be Chademo. The location where there Tesla is parked (easy to identify by the bright, striped paint) is in front of a regular L2 charger.

48703.jpg

There is a Chademo charger there but in a different location:
43245.jpg

So, maybe we can cut this driver a break, as for all we know he/she simply got unplugged by another driver. And before someone mentions its not backed in, around here, I know of a couple of locations that have really long cables that allow parking nose in.

...So, maybe we can cut this driver a break, as for all we know he/she simply got unplugged by another driver. And before someone mentions its not backed in, around here, I know of a couple of locations that have really long cables that allow parking nose in.

Even if someone had unplugged their cable, the Tesla J1772 adapter should remain plugged in, as that is locked. It is clear in the picture that nothing was plugged in. We have already thought of all possible excuses for the owner earlier in the thread.