Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my wheel installed after weeks of headache with appointments! Went for a quick drive around the block and it felt much more natural. I did find myself going for the blinker stalk which was super weird. I've seen people mention that in this thread but thought they were crazy. I suppose driving for so long its just programmed into our brains.

Couple negatives though. The left side lights behind the blinker buttons do not work and the software was not changed to show a wheel instead of the yoke. So that's disappointing. Ill have to make another service request to have that taken care of.
Do you have FSD beta ?

My appointment scheduled for tomorrow (after 3 cancellations/rescheduling by Tesla) was just pushed right to May freaking 24th. I paid for the wheel on 15 March. I don’t normally get too worked up but I’m about done with this BS. Should have ordered aftermarket from day 1.

Had a guy pull out in front of me yesterday. Dude never saw me. Emergency procedures with the Yoke was nuts and as suspected at a point where I needed the horn it did not lend itself to gross motor skills under stress. Round wheel wouldn’t have solved the latter but would have made steering out of that situation far less sporty than it was.

My appointment scheduled for tomorrow (after 3 cancellations/rescheduling by Tesla) was just pushed right to May freaking 24th. I paid for the wheel on 15 March. I don’t normally get too worked up but I’m about done with this BS. Should have ordered aftermarket from day 1.

Had a guy pull out in front of me yesterday. Dude never saw me. Emergency procedures with the Yoke was nuts and as suspected at a point where I needed the horn it did not lend itself to gross motor skills under stress. Round wheel wouldn’t have solved the latter but would have made steering out of that situation far less sporty than it was.
Bummer about the reschedule. I've had my retrofit a few weeks now and find the Tesla one much better than the 2 aftermarket versions I tried (T-Sportline and Secret EV). I also have nearly been taken out driving around NoVA, and also on 95/NJTP) and never managed to find the horn in the moment. But having a round wheel did help!!!

I expect delivery of the "S3XY Buttons" today and think the first things ill try are 1) Horn activation and 2) Turn Signals. S3XY Buttons by Enhance | Buy Tesla Buttons | Tesla Accessories

Reactions: brooklyn
Just had the round wheel installed. For some reason drama always finds me.

The tech first disconnected the 12V battery before proceeding. Don't see why that's necessary but sure (more on that a bit). The physical process of removing the yoke and replacing it w/ the round steering only took 5 mins. Initially the blinker buttons on the left side do not light up, but after another 20 mins or so of firmware update by the tech, the blinker display lights are now functional. All done, right? Wrong! As the tech was about to leave, I suddenly realized I couldn't close the frunk!

You see, I have EVOffer powerfrunk installed. It's a great product and I use it all the time, especially for takeouts. But somehow through the 12v unplugging/plugging process, it now has the lock/unlock states reversed. And those aftermarket liftarms are very stiff, very hard to push down - the hood was bending and the arms still won't budge. Great, I can't even drive this thing at all now...

Eventually we decided to plug/unplug the 12v one more time, and as it starts up he helped me hold down and close the frunk. Everything worked after that. //phew

Moral of the story? If you have anything attached to the 12V (powerfrunk, radar, etc.), you might want to consider to ask the tech not to unplug the 12V, just to be on the safe side.

Anyhow, I took a quick trip right after. Here are my first impressions:

1. First of all, I know it feels like there's a little bit of play on the new airbag and hence some speculated the potential for a center horn - but hate to disappoint - it's exactly the same as before. The old airbag always had a little bit of play too just like that.

2. The wheel obscured the display more than I thought it would. I didn't think it would bother me but I suppose I am not used to it yet. Not a biggie.

3. Holding the steering wheel while driving straight actually feels less natural than holding the yoke - maybe it has something to do w/ 2. above?

4. Turning feels soooo much more natural now w/ the round steering. It only took a few turns for me to realize that I made the right decision. Yeah, previously I've always had this fear of the yoke slipping out of my hand as I was turning, and even though that never actually happened, it always bothered me subconsciously. I can put that fear to rest now.

Here's a picture. I also installed a couple of epoxy dots on the headlight/horn buttons, just like how I had it w/ the yoke.

1682445797384.png

Someone already posted that there is a couple of seconds of delay before the horn honks, rendering the S3XY buttons useless for this purpose.
Interesting, i did wade through the 20+ page thread but didn't see that. It doesn't shock me, but if its connected directly to CAN bus, it should be 100-200ms as long at Bluetooth is stable. Well, we shall test and see! I may have just bought 6 very pricey buttons...

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Interesting, i did wade through the 20+ page thread but didn't see that. It doesn't shock me, but if its connected directly to CAN bus, it should be 100-200ms as long at Bluetooth is stable. Well, we shall test and see! I may have just bought 6 very pricey buttons...

I actually really love the S3XY Buttons module. I stuck one on the steering column (like where an ignition would be) -- that's now my "regen strength adjustment" button... My wife's X has been in low-regen since we bought it. She HATED the full strength regen braking, so this lets her adjust it on the S. Seriously, was almost a deal breaker. The s3xy button saved the day.

Cool device - really happy with it.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Did the tech use the Tool Box 3 to make changes to the software? I believe that is the part that changes the appearance of the icons. I had to remind them when I got mine done.
The tech did hook up TB3 for sure, I know b/c I have S3XY button commander installed and tucked everything deep - he had to dug the interface out under the console.

The physical exchange of the wheel only took 5-10 mins, and then the tech was out there w/ the laptop hooked to my car for another hour. This is why I thought for sure he updated the settings. I guess I was wrong. Now I understand the change won't be instantaneous that's why I waited a week (w/ many restarts and 1 SW update).

Ticket is open now.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Believe tech will disconnect the 12v battery to protect the dangerous and expensive air bag from going off while doing the exchange.

It would be prudent for any owner with aftermarket electrical accessories to remove them as well prior to haveing tech unfamiliar with them work on your car.

The tech did hook up TB3 for sure, I know b/c I have S3XY button commander installed and tucked everything deep - he had to dug the interface out under the console.

The physical exchange of the wheel only took 5-10 mins, and then the tech was out there w/ the laptop hooked to my car for another hour. This is why I thought for sure he updated the settings. I guess I was wrong. Now I understand the change won't be instantaneous that's why I waited a week (w/ many restarts and 1 SW update).

Ticket is open now.
It’s possible he hooked up to preform a software reinstall via Toolbox however didn’t toggle/update the necessary parameter swap.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47
It’s not that important to me to see a yoke or a round wheel icon. However, since I did get a round wheel and a round wheel air bag, where is it you see the yoke or round icon?

At least 2 places I can think of (others feel free to add): 1) auto pilot icon on the dash board screen, 2) steering icon on the main screen for adjusting steering wheel position.

I hear you, if it wasn't for others here, I would've never noticed. However, once I know, I can't un-notice them anymore...

Reactions: Laddcruzer