Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: received the following message from Tesla this morning. Checked the screen: still yoke. But after reboot it's now showing round wheel.

It never quite make sense that this couldn't be done over the air - my faith in Tesla has been restored.

1683125864275.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I am on my second round wheel at this point. On both the left side lights do not work. Tesla says this is a software issue but I dont believe that for a second. Also my configuration still shows I have the yoke and my UI still shows yoke. They say this is also a software issue. I am getting tires of all these excuses on why a simple steering wheel swap isnt going smoothly.

I am on my second round wheel at this point. On both the left side lights do not work. Tesla says this is a software issue but I dont believe that for a second. Also my configuration still shows I have the yoke and my UI still shows yoke. They say this is also a software issue. I am getting tires of all these excuses on why a simple steering wheel swap isnt going smoothly.
Software updates have shown to correct left side light issues on the new rounded wheel. I believe you can request the update from Service. My new rounded wheel worked perfectly from the beginning and I don’t really care what shape my Ul shows.

Does your car have Full Self Driving? My understanding is that the current FSD deployment is based on firmware 2022.45.15, which does NOT have the right firmware for the steering wheel modules.

I'm stuck waiting for the next FSD update - service advised me very very strongly not to proceed due to this firmware problem.

Does your car have Full Self Driving? My understanding is that the current FSD deployment is based on firmware 2022.45.15, which does NOT have the right firmware for the steering wheel modules.

I'm stuck waiting for the next FSD update - service advised me very very strongly not to proceed due to this firmware problem.
I’m in the same boat. Waiting for the next firmware update. The left side of the round wheel is dead on many FSD vehicle installs so Tesla is halting installation until the next firmware update.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
No. Absolutely no steer by wire or any progressive ratio. That is why I thought the yoke was such a cluster.

Take the previous steering setup and basically slap a yoke on it and call it cool.

Yes, Lexus took the better approach. Looks like they have to dial out the bit of lag but it has a lot more promise than the crap Tesla gave us. At least I could swap out the yoke with a wheel. Now if they could do the yoke with less than one turn lock to lock, I'd be a big proponent of it. Tesla phoned it in on this one.

small sample size, but most of the people I see driving Plaids here in NoVA do not look like enthusiast drivers. They wanted a Model S and bought the most expensive one offered, or they bought the performance capability with no intent to really stretch this thing out. For most of these folks, in an emergency they are going to yank the hell out of the Yoke. I suspect some lawyer somewhere likely flagged that and Tesla decided better to have it operate like a normal steering wheel in turns, that optimize it for what it is given the potential liability when Joe Public starts darting across highways left and right. No east way to do this right, which is why it probably shouldn't have been done from jump street.

small sample size, but most of the people I see driving Plaids here in NoVA do not look like enthusiast drivers. They wanted a Model S and bought the most expensive one offered, or they bought the performance capability with no intent to really stretch this thing out. For most of these folks, in an emergency they are going to yank the hell out of the Yoke. I suspect some lawyer somewhere likely flagged that and Tesla decided better to have it operate like a normal steering wheel in turns, that optimize it for what it is given the potential liability when Joe Public starts darting across highways left and right. No east way to do this right, which is why it probably shouldn't have been done from jump street.

But Toyota is doing it for their drive by wire, and they will sell them to Joe public as well. And like my post, non-linear has been around for decades in various cars that are bought by the regular Joe.

And even Mercedes is doing it right now:

1685998943135.png

Last edited:
I bought a 2023 MS which came with a yoke (initial vehicle I ordered was damaged with regular steering wheel, they promised to do a round -> yoke swap for free).

They weren't able to give me a round steering wheel right away, so I drove with the yoke. I'm now 1500 miles in, and I'm going to keep the yoke and not switch back to round.

You get used to whatever steering wheel you use. There are some advantages and things I like about a yoke more than the round steering wheel (mainly visibility of the screen, some comfort when using enhanced autopilot). Once you are used to the yoke, it isn't awkward or difficult.

Reactions: zoomer0056