Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent a whole day now driving with the new wheel. Even though I had gotten used to the yoke, I am now finding the wheel to feel much more comfortable.

On another note, I have had a few people question me about the shirt in my avatar. So here is a bigger picture.

View attachment 928216
Can you help with a point of confusion on my part? Is the dimension/size of the center controls of the yoke and the new wheel the same ? For example, I purchased a steering wheel replacement from pimpmyev. It feels great material wise but the steering/turning radius is oblong as the wheel was retrofitted to the old yoke if this makes sense. Does your new wheel have a symmetric turning radius ?

Can you help with a point of confusion on my part? Is the dimension/size of the center controls of the yoke and the new wheel the same ? For example, I purchased a steering wheel replacement from pimpmyev. It feels great material wise but the steering/turning radius is oblong as the wheel was retrofitted to the old yoke if this makes sense. Does your new wheel have a symmetric turning radius ?
Yes the wheel has a centered spline so it sound with that oblong rotation.

Reactions: Chet S and KB498
I don't know about that, but the invoice says 'send firmware'. See attached.

View attachment 920951
Not sure if the same issue as your, but my 2022 Tesla S rear seats make noise as well. Like an annoying creaking sound while driving and going over bumps.
I had a mobile tech look at it and he said I'll need to bring into service to fix it. He also said it was a common complaint. My noise however wasn't coming from the typical location.
The noise goes completely away when I fold the seats down. I may just remove the back seats, as people rarely sit back there.

• Funny
Reactions: scrapps
Not sure if the same issue as your, but my 2022 Tesla S rear seats make noise as well. Like an annoying creaking sound while driving and going over bumps.
I had a mobile tech look at it and he said I'll need to bring into service to fix it. He also said it was a common complaint. My noise however wasn't coming from the typical location.
The noise goes completely away when I fold the seats down. I may just remove the back seats, as people rarely sit back there.
Hi there! I have had the same issue since about a 2 months after delivery on 4/22, and it has become much worse. I had tech look at it during Round wheel install and he confirmed it and set me up with a service appointment currently on 4/20. If it happens and they fix, I can let you know what they replaced and/or adjusted.

Reactions: hellcat3perf
I have spent a whole day now driving with the new wheel. Even though I had gotten used to the yoke, I am now finding the wheel to feel much more comfortable.

On another note, I have had a few people question me about the shirt in my avatar. So here is a bigger picture.

View attachment 928216
I might have worn that shirt before Tesla, their Service Centers and Elon, all became a little less than super. 🙄😀

FYI

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 94
I know that there is a 40 page thread on the “S3XY Buttons” but was curious if any of the wheel shape shifters here have them or are considering. I just ordered some to try out. Horn, turn signals, and the ability to alter regen on S refresh all look interesting.

I know that there is a 40 page thread on the “S3XY Buttons” but was curious if any of the wheel shape shifters here have them or are considering. I just ordered some to try out. Horn, turn signals, and the ability to alter regen on S refresh all look interesting.

Yes …. And it’s fantastic. I solved one of my wife’s biggest complaints with them. She *hates* strong regen and drives with her X in “low regen”. Well, that’s not an option on my S …. Until I installed the S3XY Buttons module. Mounted a button on the column where the ignition would be, and she can press it to enable low-regen mode. Really changed her driving experience in a big big way. Worth its weight in gold right there.

On my S, we wrapped the rear seat latch hooks with tape. Eliminated the rattle altogether. Let me know if you’d like a photo.

Reactions: Beandoc
Yes …. And it’s fantastic. I solved one of my wife’s biggest complaints with them. She *hates* strong regen and drives with her X in “low regen”. Well, that’s not an option on my S …. Until I installed the S3XY Buttons module. Mounted a button on the column where the ignition would be, and she can press it to enable low-regen mode. Really changed her driving experience in a big big way. Worth its weight in gold right there.

On my S, we wrapped the rear seat latch hooks with tape. Eliminated the rattle altogether. Let me know if you’d like a photo.

Same rattle. Have narrowed it down to the seatback latches. What type of tape did you use? Did you just need to do the horizontal part of the metal "U" or both sides to get the noise to stop?

Last edited:
Same rattle. Have narrowed it down to the seatback latches. What type of tape did you use? Did you just need to do the horizontal part of the metal "U" or both sides to get the noise to stop?

I used gaffer tape since that's what I had on hand (and it's the universal fixes-anything tape!!) I'd think any kind of "soft" tape would work, but gaffer is almost perfect. The fabric has some "give" to it.

Just the horizontal part of the U - it overlapped a little bit to the sides because of the width of the tape roll, but the horizontal part is key. Couple wraps and problem solved!

I used gaffer tape since that's what I had on hand (and it's the universal fixes-anything tape!!) I'd think any kind of "soft" tape would work, but gaffer is almost perfect. The fabric has some "give" to it.

Just the horizontal part of the U - it overlapped a little bit to the sides because of the width of the tape roll, but the horizontal part is key. Couple wraps and problem solved!
Appreciate the feedback.

I can just add anecdotal evidence. When the tech came out to do mine, he said he had already done a lot and had a lot more to do. I told him I'd heard there was an issue with some people ordering the wheel. He said he hadn't heard of anyone in Dallas having an issue so far.

He had said he had about another 10-15 scheduled over the next few days after he left my place. He did mention it was pretty evenly split between S and X's of who was ordering it.