Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's going to Plasti-Dip their car? Post photos here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me say that I am not really happy with the wheel options so far on the Model 3. I was hoping for dark sport wheels. Either I can choose the dark aero wheels or light silver sport wheels. So that got me thinking I would just get the sport wheels and have a body shop paint them or get them powder coated.

Then I discovered plasti-dip and I really like the idea I can play around with colors and get the look I am wanting and if I don't like it then peel it off and start over.

Anyway I obviously don't have my car yet but my desire is to get a black chrome look for my trim and wheels. I don't know if that is even possible but at this point I would be happy with just dark and somewhat glossy.

So my goal currently is to figure this out, practice with plasti-dip, and try to decide on what color I like.

Anyway my first adventure was to dip some stainless water bottles to just get a feel for it. I actually think they came out nice and am going to get some more plasti-dip and try some different things. I got my first 3 cans at Home Depot. I have one can of black, one can of gunmetal grey (I think that is what it is), and one can of glossifier.

One is black and one is the grey. Both have glossifier.
Cr2Yuqd.jpg

Overall I think they came out great. They feel kind of weird like rubber. I'll probably peal the black one when I get some more colors. I put about 5 coats rapidly on each one and then a couple coats of glossifier.

Reactions: GonzaloAR
I've dipped a few cars and will probably do a coat on the model 3. I did the matte black on my BMW first and then did a new custom mix the was alternately black/purple depending on the light. Our beachmobile Mazda is pearlescent gold at the moment. Done well, with decent equipment, Plastidip can look amazing and last quite a long time.

Did you paint them with a spray booth and gun? Or did you use the rattle cans?

I used a paint gun (specifically the one from dipyourcar.com). We tape off the major parts of the car like the wheels and windows (mainly to save material). You can spray right over the lights and smaller elements and then just peel off that area so that you get a really crisp break. Generally you do multiple base coats of matte black, waiting about 10-15min between. You want to build up the coats slowly, just "peppering" it on until you build it up, then start adding your top color. I ordered gallons from dipyourcar.com and then added the coloring powders.

It's quite easy if you take your time, I'd never painting anything like a car before. Just prep it well (car has to be absolutely 100% dry and then wiped down with rubbing alcohol), tape off the windows, wheels and air intake areas and then just take your time spraying. I generally took about 6-7 hours to get it all done and less than $200 in materials. The gold on the van is needing a redo but it's been on for over 2 years and still looks decent from a few feet back.

I sold the BMW and peeled it off in about 20 minutes before taking it to the dealer. I had a few spots that needed a little solvent to get off, but 98% of it just peeled right off. It's awesome protection for the original paint, and provided you did it right you can just add a new color right on top of what you had before.

If you're seriously considering Plastidip, there are two levels.. Plastidip and Proline. Proline is a more professional version. Above that, there's Autoflex, which looks and feels like real paint, but with all the other benefits of Plastidip (color choices, easy removal), but requires professional application in a paint booth and respirators.

Sorry for anyone in this thread who has seen me post this a dozen times, but for any new people, here's my experience with Autoflex on my now-sold P85+ :

Dipped my car: Autoflex Matte + ZTA Hypershift + Blueberry Juice

I'm so completely interested in getting that matte look - the reveal car is my muse.
Probably a few coats of glossifer as well - satin black with those aeros --- yes please.

I've only recently started researching the plastic-dip and I'm very intrigued. I've not done it but in a former life I was an excellent painter and I've sprayed a few things around the house with latex. I am pretty confident that I can pull this off and love the DIY aspect since you can remove it.

I have a cap sprayer but need a bigger compressor... I do wonder if their sprayer might work better though?
I think I will get a gallon and maybe do the hood on my old Volvo.

AutoFlex is the new stuff that is harder to discern from original finishes (from what I see on the internets).

Why dip instead of wrap?
Yeah...think a wrap would be great but it's not something I'm willing to try myself. I like the DIY aspect of the dip process and I think I could get it done for about $300 give or take.
That said, I'm also not totally sure I will try the dip...
I'm still not even sure I've fully convinced myself that I'm getting the black car yet! (First black car)
It is still entirely possible that I will decide to pay the $1k for a midnight silver or multi coat red then we find a good clear film and be done with it.

Funny timing to find & read this post. I just recently saw a Model S with a dark blue matte exterior and loved how it looked. I was already planning on blue for my M3 with aero wheels, and I think that matte look would make those aeros look better.

So yesterday I started looking at options on how to wrap a car and approximately what the cost is. I'm a novice when it comes to wrap/dip for cars, never had a car nice enough to want to do it. So until this thread I had not heard of the dip or AutoFlex option. I'll definitely investigate that option more now, I like the lower price a lot. From what I saw last night, wrapping can average around $3k, depending on car type. So if I can do the AutoFlex for $1k or less that would be great. Is the quality at all a question though with the AutoFlex compared to wrapping? Again like I said, pretty new to the idea of doing this to a car of mine, but highly considering it. Attaching a pic of a similar color to what a saw on the MS.

image.jpeg

Is the quality at all a question though with the AutoFlex compared to wrapping?
It is essentially spray painting so the quality depends on the skill of the person doing the job. If you want to do it yourself, practice first. And plan for the first job or two to come out with drips, rough patches, or other mistakes. Don't spend the big bucks on Autoflex or Raail until you've mastered the skills with PlastiDip. If you have someone else do it, inspect some of their other jobs first. When Autoflex is done correctly it is virtually indistinguishable from paint.

IMG_4265.jpg
Because dip is so much cheaper, easier to change, and can be DIY. Dip can be as little as $200 up to around $1000 for a high quality AutoFlex job. For a full car wrap you'd be looking at around $5000.

$300-500 for dip but where i live you can get great full wraps done for this size car for $2000-2500
i'd rather spend the extra $1500-2000 k for the wrap.
i like plasti dip for little things black out trim -mirrors-wheels- accents etc

love this color full wrap (like BMW M3 laguna)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: telmedragon