Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's going to Plasti-Dip their car? Post photos here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!

I just recently tried the metalizer. It is the bottle on the right. I did 5 coats of black and then added 3 coats of metalizer. I really like how it turned out. It might be my trim and wheel color on the model 3.
3irFvP6.jpg

@ummgood,

Looks Amazing. Love the metalizer.....close run for Midnight Silver Metallic....I think that would look amazing on the trim and Sport wheels.....has my ‘wheels spinning’! On a side note is that dishwasher safe? Have a few bottles like that where the coating is peeling off showing SS underneath...would love to recoat them....not wanting to hand wash tho.

Ski

@ummgood,

Looks Amazing. Love the metalizer.....close run for Midnight Silver Metallic....I think that would look amazing on the trim and Sport wheels.....has my ‘wheels spinning’! On a side note is that dishwasher safe? Have a few bottles like that where the coating is peeling off showing SS underneath...would love to recoat them....not wanting to hand wash tho.

Ski

Honestly not sure. Both of those bottles I used are not dishwasher safe so I have never had them in a dishwasher. Let me plasti-dip a cheaper cup and see if it will go through the dishwasher. I will say that my cupholders on my car really destroy the finish. The bottom gets peeled up. I don't imagine that happening with my trim on my car but the great news about it is you can redo it or peel it off if it looks bad.

Honestly not sure. Both of those bottles I used are not dishwasher safe so I have never had them in a dishwasher. Let me plasti-dip a cheaper cup and see if it will go through the dishwasher. I will say that my cupholders on my car really destroy the finish. The bottom gets peeled up. I don't imagine that happening with my trim on my car but the great news about it is you can redo it or peel it off if it looks bad.
So what's the good word? :D Did you end up dipping your car? If so, it'd be cool to check in on the results a year later!

Bump?!

So let me say that I am not really happy with the wheel options so far on the Model 3. I was hoping for dark sport wheels. Either I can choose the dark aero wheels or light silver sport wheels. So that got me thinking I would just get the sport wheels and have a body shop paint them or get them powder coated.

Then I discovered plasti-dip and I really like the idea I can play around with colors and get the look I am wanting and if I don't like it then peel it off and start over.

Anyway I obviously don't have my car yet but my desire is to get a black chrome look for my trim and wheels. I don't know if that is even possible but at this point I would be happy with just dark and somewhat glossy.

So my goal currently is to figure this out, practice with plasti-dip, and try to decide on what color I like.

Anyway my first adventure was to dip some stainless water bottles to just get a feel for it. I actually think they came out nice and am going to get some more plasti-dip and try some different things. I got my first 3 cans at Home Depot. I have one can of black, one can of gunmetal grey (I think that is what it is), and one can of glossifier.

One is black and one is the grey. Both have glossifier.
Cr2Yuqd.jpg

Overall I think they came out great. They feel kind of weird like rubber. I'll probably peal the black one when I get some more colors. I put about 5 coats rapidly on each one and then a couple coats of glossifier.