TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who's going to the Tesla Owners Weekend on May 14th and 15th?

Discussion in 'News' started by zack, Apr 18, 2011.

1. zack

zack Member

Roadster final assembly tour Saturday, new Model S factory tour on Sunday? Sounds like fun! I love the description "cocktails and heavy hors d'oeuvres".

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Did you get an e-mail about this? That sounds interesting.

3. strider

strider Active Member

They've been threatening to invite owners to the Model S plant for awhile now. It was supposed to happen this spring but they've pushed it out. My rep hasn't sent me anything about this though. It would be awesome if it's that wkend - my parents are going to be in town and can watch the baby!

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I hope it's a different weekend ... guests here.

5. zack

zack Member

Embarrassing. Turns out it is a promotion for buyers who purchased their cars during a specific period in 2010. I've been told there will be another event perhaps in the fall.

Had I known that this was an exclusive event I wouldn't have posted it at all... sorry! I wish they would have told me. redface.gif

6. user497

user497 Member

Are they going to be checking ID? :)

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Just show up user & say zack couldn't make it so you're standing in for him...now where's the bar!...:biggrin::wink:

8. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Hope they invite some of us east-coasters to fall event! :smile:

9. bonnie

Since I couldn't make it that weekend, I'm happy to hear that I'll be invited a different time. Win!

10. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

We got the invite and will be attending (and picking up our Roadster). It's been a long and torturous wait. Pictures and video will be forthcoming.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Excellent Nvbob!...can't wait to see more pics & vids of the production facility!

(I'm quite envious!) :wink:

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

So, how was it? Anyone have any pictures or stories?

13. zack

zack Member

We were sworn to secrecy regarding the few pictures we were allowed to take. The S is spectacularly sexy and the factory is huge. They inherited a lot of manufacturing equipment with the building and most of it is operational and has been tested. They're going to mold all of their plastic in-house! No outsourcing for the S at first, entirely Made in USA as far as I understand. They've tested the injection molding machines (IMMs) and they work perfectly. Molds are being made, everything seems to be on schedule. We heard from George Blankenship Several times and talked to him at length. Probably the world's most delightful man. The weekend was a real blast, tarnished only by a delayed flight that's forcing me onto a red-eye, grrr.

They have a prototyping lab with all kinds of fun stuff. We got to hold a rotor and look at it in detail, and see the inside of the S under the "frunk" and inspect that open glider. Actually I do have pics of that, showing some details.

14. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

It was an absolutely wonderful weekend with the equally wonderful & delightful Tesla Staff. As Zack stated, we have been sworn to secrecy, but suffice it to say that there are some REALLY EXCITING events and things coming up!!!

We, also, had quite an "adventure" on our trip home! The weather did not cooperate (rain, hail, snow, and ice) on our first real trip from Menlo Park up over the Sierra's into Nevada with our just purchased (on the Friday before the Owner's Weekend) Roadster.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#15 TEG, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Yes, we sure got some odd (for May) weather this past weekend. I had to be in Reno on the weekend so I drove through it going the other direction. Squaw valley is still open for skiing and got more snow!

Did your Roadster cope with the frozen slush as well as others have reported?

16. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Sounds cool... How soon after the tour can those pictures be seen by the rest of us???? I'm dying for a look-eee see.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If you're allowed to share this (or if they talked about it too) but did they talk about where the charge port would be, what standards in the US they'd support?

18. bonnie

I was in Reno, too, over the weekend ... I was glad when I-80 opened back up. I thought I might be spending the night in Truckee and needed to be back for Monday meetings. I would have enjoyed seeing another Roadster on the road there. :)

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Truckee would be a mice place to own a Tesla.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You have mice in your Roadster?