Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's going topless ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(made you look :biggrin:)

Among people here who have reserved a Roadster, who's considering NOT getting the hardtop ?
It's not particularly cheap ($3,200 + tax) and I wonder if I'll ever use it. I can put it in storage, but then what's the point?
Thoughts ?

spaceball.gif

I don't plan to purchase the hardtop (I have not had to lock in my options yet). I don't think it looks all that great while on the car and for me, it won't be a problem to live without it (southern CA). My last two seater only had a rag top so I'm OK with this one that way too.

Drove VP17 with the top on for a little while. Some noise but nothing out of the ordinary from other soft top cars (for me anyway).

Best. Title. Ever.

I will probably get the hard top - but will I use it much? I have heard that one of the reasons to get the hard top at the time of purchase is that they paint it at the same time they paint the rest of the car. So the paint will match since it will be from the same lot. This is incentive to buy it at the same time in case you think you might ever want one.

That being said, I do not like that the hard top requires an allen wrench to put on and remove, and has no in-car storage. That raises the bar significantly enough that putting it on or taking it off will be less likely to happen on a whim. The soft top is not all that much easier, honestly. At least it can live in the trunk. My guess is that once I have it, I will put the hard top on, and leave it on for months at a time. Then take the hard top off for months at a time (like my old Jeep Wrangler).

Anyone have any data on noise reduction, and/or weather protection that the hard top or the soft top gives? Compared to the rag tops I have driven in the past, my current hard-top convertible SLK230 is very nice in the noise reduction and weather proofing dept. I think I may miss that with the Tesla.

In case anyone cares, I have heard that the hard top has the exact same interior clearance as the soft top. So if you are 6'4" or greater, and can fit in with the soft top on, you should also be able to fit in with the hard top.

Getting out of the car with the top on is a whole other story...

Agreed with all the people wanting the best color match - that is the one thing that gives me pause about skipping it. However, I do hold out hope that the carbon fiber top would someday be available in the US. Now what it will cost is another question... :eek:

Jay

Oh, I see. $3200 for the regular painted Carbon Fiber. If you give us an additional $1800, we promise not to paint it :)
I think most of the body panels are made from carbon fiber that's not considered to be of high cosmetic quality. So the material for the clear coat top is probably more expensive. And like anything, you can get away with charging more for something if people think it's special. (Why is cellular text messaging so expensive in the US again??)

I questioned the same 'if its clear why $1800 more?" @ the MP opening. Doug's intuition is correct. Rolling carbon fiber so that the weave is consitent and matching is very labor intensive. He showed me in the roll bar where weave lines are straight and in line. Most of the panelling is not the same.