TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who's gotten a speeding ticket in their Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2krazykats, Aug 27, 2015.

1. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

When I test drove the Tesla S85 recently, I thought to myself "Boy, I'm going to be in so much trouble with the cops." It's so easy to go fast and quickly. I could see myself blowing by a cop and not realize it. :redface:

Wondering if anyone's gotten pulled over in their Tesla and if yes, did you talk your way out of a speeding ticket?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

3. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

My wife was having a bad day one day and not watching her speed. She saw the cop and slowed down, but not enough or too late. Didn't manage to talk her way out of it, either. 79/65, traffic school.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Ticket in famous speed trap of Lumberton, TX while I was watching my speed like a hawk. Neither I, nor my Model S, thought I was speeding. Their town features the smallest speed limit signs I've ever seen. I took defensive driving and gave the ticket mill of Lumberton, TX my $141. My first speeding ticket in over a decade.

5. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

67 MPH in a 55 zone. A Michigan State trooper thanked me for stopping and being courteous. He commented that my Roadster could easily outrun his Mustang GT pursuit car.
    I agreed but explained that I could not outrun his Motorola. We both laughed.
    But I still got the ticket!

6. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Less than 24 hours after getting the Model S, I was pulled over- 42 in a 25mph zone. But I think it was primarily to look over the car.

Warning. No ticket.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I set aside a little bit of money b/c I quickly determined it will be a "when" I get a speeding ticket, not "if". No ticket yet, but my car still hasn't become my daily driver and barely gets any miles put on it.

8. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I got pulled over for speeding two weeks ago for the first time in almost 20 years of driving.

We were going through rural Delaware on the way to the beach. Lots of country roads with a 50MPH speed limit, dropping down to 40 and then 30 for occasional small clusters of houses. The cops had a radar set up just after a curve where it dropped to 30.

He took my info, went back to his car for a minute, then returned with, "I just got called to an accident. Here's your license and registration. Consider this your verbal warning."

I don't even know how fast he thought I was going!

9. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

LOL! It's nice the trooper had a sense of humor but too bad he wasn't awed enough with your Roadster to let you go.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Got my first ticket in well over a decade a few months back. 70 in a 65. :eek:

11. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

That's terrible! 70 is normal flow of traffic.
    Can you claim something like "I was trying to avoid an unsafe driving situation because everyone was tailgating me, even at 70"?

12. travwill

travwill Member

Ug I think I just got my first speed camera ticket here in Chicago yesterday. They are by all schools and parks and even go off late at night (when no kids or people are even around). It just too easy to exceed 25mph from a dead stop without thinking about it and being so quiet makes it even easier.

That, and the fact Chicago has overdone it with cameras everywhere as an income generator but claim "it's for the children". Hate this city!

13. !S4

!S4 Member

How sensitive are they? I know I drove past a few yesterday at no more than 5 over, but was certainly going with traffic.

14. ThreadAbort

ThreadAbort Member

Just wondering. Why wouldn't it be your daily driver?

15. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

i really shouldn't comment on this as i was absolutely butchered for posting this, but still find it funny i got pulled over before actually taking delivery, but...

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It has been under repair for most of the 3+ months of ownership. I put 4k on it and 7k on my ICE + another 1.5k on loaners. My car is supposed to come back into service on September 8th, nearly 4 months since delivery (assuming nothing else goes wrong).

17. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I still think he should have left you alone. Just yesterday I was at a traffic light and I was in a good mood (not in a Tesla or I would have been in an even better mood!) and when the light turned green I nailed it so I went from 0-35 very quickly. When I looked at the rear view mirror I could see I was way ahead of everyone and everyone was driving very slowly and then I noticed there was a police officer right behind me that I did not notice. The speed limit on the road was 35 and he thankfully didn't do anything.

If he had ticketed me, I would have contested it so I'm glad he saved us both the hassle of showing up in court... :)

- - - Updated - - -

But look at the bright side. When you get the car back it would be in the best shape ever while under your ownership :) It's is true these cars keep getting better... :tongue:

18. clarkbariowa

clarkbariowa Member

Here is the most amazing part I have found about this. If I floor it and quickly get up to maybe 10-15 mph over the speed limit, the second I let off my foot the regenerative braking takes over and instantly slows me back to the speed limit. This by itself might be the best ticket avoidance solution ever :biggrin:

19. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I've been meaning to ask you (but thought you left) any regrets over the 85D instead of a 90D?

- - - Updated - - -

No speeding tickets, I've been very careful (I've had my share).

I did get pulled over for "illegal tints" (he pulled me over because he didn't think I had 3 people in the HOV lane, I did and once I opened the windows, he said he'll be right back, that he "actually" pulled me over for illegal tints, but forgot his light meter at his motorcycle).

Got off with a warning.