Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's gotten a speeding ticket in their Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ug I think I just got my first speed camera ticket here in Chicago yesterday. They are by all schools and parks and even go off late at night (when no kids or people are even around). It just too easy to exceed 25mph from a dead stop without thinking about it and being so quiet makes it even easier.

That, and the fact Chicago has overdone it with cameras everywhere as an income generator but claim "it's for the children". Hate this city!

I visited some relatives in Chicago a couple of years ago. My cousin was driving me around, and there was one spot where the speed limit changed for 1/2 a block, for no particular reason that I could tell. No schools or such. Strange.

Last edited:
No tickets in "Month 1," which is a little weird since I've inadvertently blown by some parked cops and they didn't seem to notice. I suspect the quietness of the vehicle draws less attention. And I'm not sure if being in Silicon Valley (where Teslas are more common) means they draw less visual attention relative to other places. In any event, I'm trying hard not to speed... I just don't always succeed. ;)

That's terrible! 70 is normal flow of traffic.
Can you claim something like "I was trying to avoid an unsafe driving situation because everyone was tailgating me, even at 70"?

If it is the same as the state of Florida there is no "legal" reason to be speeding unless you have emergency equipment on your vehicle and you are authorized to be driving beyond posted limits. I was in LE for 8 years, and one of my instructors who was a big time traffic guy used to start his conversation with the driver "Is there any legal reason why you were driving so fast?" He did it just to hear the stories folks would come up with trying to be attorneys.

Got my first ticket in well over a decade a few months back. 70 in a 65. :eek:

In the Bay Area??? Wow... where??? That just seems ridiculous to me and I'd have went and fought it... On 101 yesterday I went past a cop going 74 in a 65 without issue which is pretty common from my experience.

I've gotten three tickets in my life and got two of them dismissed in court. :)

Jeff

In the Bay Area??? Wow... where??? That just seems ridiculous to me and I'd have went and fought it... On 101 yesterday I went past a cop going 74 in a 65 without issue which is pretty common from my experience.
I've gotten three tickets in my life and got two of them dismissed in court. :)
Jeff
The 87/101 area. Honestly, I was speeding. My wife got called into emergency surgery to repair a child's hand and I had to rush home from work to pick up our son. I'm not sure how fast I was actually going, I just know I was still getting passed so it wasn't "Ludicrous Speed". The officer said if I fought it he'd tell the judge I was going 80 (and was unclear on whether that was a threat or if he actually thought I was going 80, which I doubt), so I just let it go. I didn't realize that 5 over was going to come out to something like $400 (with point-wiping "traffic school") at the time, but now I know and would probably complain louder if doing it again.

If it is the same as the state of Florida there is no "legal" reason to be speeding unless you have emergency equipment on your vehicle and you are authorized to be driving beyond posted limits. I was in LE for 8 years, and one of my instructors who was a big time traffic guy used to start his conversation with the driver "Is there any legal reason why you were driving so fast?" He did it just to hear the stories folks would come up with trying to be attorneys.
Hmm. So when an 18-wheeler is approaching rapidly from behind at a rate that one driving the speed limit reasonably believes will cause a rear-end collision, you just say "so sad, too bad?" Because, based on your description of the only legal reason to exceed the speed limit, such a maneuver would result in a ticket and conviction.

Glad as hell I don't live in your state.

The 87/101 area. Honestly, I was speeding. My wife got called into emergency surgery to repair a child's hand and I had to rush home from work to pick up our son. I'm not sure how fast I was actually going, I just know I was still getting passed so it wasn't "Ludicrous Speed". The officer said if I fought it he'd tell the judge I was going 80 (and was unclear on whether that was a threat or if he actually thought I was going 80, which I doubt), so I just let it go. I didn't realize that 5 over was going to come out to something like $400 (with point-wiping "traffic school") at the time, but now I know and would probably complain louder if doing it again.

Ouch, it's cops like that one that give them all a bad name... Nice threat... Yikes...

Jeff

How sensitive are they? I know I drove past a few yesterday at no more than 5 over, but was certainly going with traffic.

5 over (so going 30mph) issues the cheaper $30 ticket warning I think.
Anything 9 or 10 over issues the $100 ticket.

Odd thing is that its pure revenue. None of them go on your "record" or anything. You just get a bright orange Chicago letter in the mail saying pay up ;-)

Hmm. So when an 18-wheeler is approaching rapidly from behind at a rate that one driving the speed limit reasonably believes will cause a rear-end collision, you just say "so sad, too bad?" Because, based on your description of the only legal reason to exceed the speed limit, such a maneuver would result in a ticket and conviction.

Whoever said the law always makes sense?

Whoever said the law always makes sense?

I was cited for failure to stop one foggy night. The road had no paint. The "STOP" sign was partially eclipsed by some foliage. We get tule fog in winter, so the fog is dense with visibility sometimes <100 feet.

I returned to the scene of the crime the following night when it was foggy and took some photographs of the road and the STOP sign.

When I went to court the judge asked me, "how do you plead: not guilty, guilty, or guilty with an explanation." I pled "guilty with an explanation." I provided my photographs and the weather report from the newspaper for the night of my infraction. The officer sat silent until the judge asked for his story. The officer "did not remember the weather conditions" and could not recall if there was road paint or not, nor the partially hidden stop sign.

The judge dismissed my citation, and apologized for my receiving a ticket with such sketchy evidence. He also invited the citing officer into chambers......

I was cited for failure to stop one foggy night. The road had no paint. The "STOP" sign was partially eclipsed by some foliage. We get tule fog in winter, so the fog is dense with visibility sometimes <100 feet.

I returned to the scene of the crime the following night when it was foggy and took some photographs of the road and the STOP sign.

When I went to court the judge asked me, "how do you plead: not guilty, guilty, or guilty with an explanation." I pled "guilty with an explanation." I provided my photographs and the weather report from the newspaper for the night of my infraction. The officer sat silent until the judge asked for his story. The officer "did not remember the weather conditions" and could not recall if there was road paint or not, nor the partially hidden stop sign.

The judge dismissed my citation, and apologized for my receiving a ticket with such sketchy evidence. He also invited the citing officer into chambers......

I'm sure he got a big-time scolding. :)

The officer said if I fought it he'd tell the judge I was going 80 (and was unclear on whether that was a threat or if he actually thought I was going 80, which I doubt), so I just let it go. I didn't realize that 5 over was going to come out to something like $400 (with point-wiping "traffic school") at the time, but now I know and would probably complain louder if doing it again.
If he wrote your speed as less than 80 on the citation, that cop would be in deep doo doo for changing his story in front of the judge. It's called "perjury." :)

So you think California is different? From: California Speeding Laws | DrivingLaws.org

"There are two basic types of defenses to a speeding charge under the Basic Speed Law. One type—the technical defense—is that the police used impermissible methods to catch you. The other—the substantive defense—is that the police were wrong in their conclusions."

-- Doug

I don't know how you guys do it without help. I have a Beltronics Stir Plus radar detector and AL Priority laser defense system. Not pulled over in the first few months.

Why the answer is simple! I just set the cruise control to the speed limit to +2 above. I do it in the Roadster and the Model S and have never gotten a ticket! Biggest problem is the 25 mph areas in our rural towns in the Roadster since you can't set cruise control < 30 mph, so I really do have to watch it then. Year ago, I had a Mits 3000 VR/4 with a Valentine One and Laser Defuzer and even police scanner—but since I usually kept < 5 above, they rarely actually helped me. No tickets in over 45 years!