Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's Happy? Besides FSD owners...who is happy with their update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone,

There are many more things to come with FSD, which is why for simplicity....I'm excluding owners of FSD from the question.

How many people are satisfied with their software if it never changes or if there is never another update?

What they say may be true -- Variety (software updates) is the spice of life? To a degree, these keep the car feeling new throughout ownership.

If everything suddenly went static, two things would happen - the first is, some of the little issues we expect to go away through future software updates would become tiresome, and over time, the car would feel more and more ordinary as its leading features become standard in other cars.

And there is nothing wrong with driving an ordinary car.

Which is what makes Tesla so extraordinary.

To answer your question more directly, even if the Tesla had no self-driving capabilities, and software updates it would still be above ordinary because of its efficiency, safety, fun factor, agility, and design (attractiveness).

My car does more than I ever thought it could do. In addition to all the amazing performance and driving benefits, the current autopilot works great in 99% of the situations that I want to use it, it can park itself, summon is fun party trick, there are retro video games to play, a cool sentry mode feature, it even opens and closes my garage by itself.

So yes, I am perfectly happy with my Model 3 in its current state. The fact that it keeps getting better is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: tracksyde
Overall I feel like it’s pretty solid, I haven’t had any screen blackouts or software glitches and I’ve gone from 2019.8.3 - 2019.8.5 and now to 2019.12.1.1. But my one big gripe are the Auto Wipers which don’t work that great for me. If they fine tuned that or added some sensitivity settings in the software, I’d be perfectly content. It also wouldn’t hurt if they activated the tweeters in the a-pillars of my SR+ ;)

I'm happy but there are a few little features I would still like to see. I would like an alternative to auto wipers, add control to the left/right on the right steering wheel thumb. I never change the follow distance or not often enough I need it on the wheel. I want a setting on the screen that is like clean car, one press both seats go all the way up and back, press again they go all the way forward and again they restore. Waypoints!!

As a potential buyer, one of the reasons I am interested in Tesla is the over the air software and firmware updates. I used to lease a new car pretty much every year because I was getting bored with the cars I have been driving. Tesla's updates should keep the car new and fresh so I wouldn't itch to get a new car after a year or so (or so I hope). With the built in cameras, sensors, and the processor they have so many things they can add to the car over time (like 360 parking camera or rear cross traffic alert) and I sure be delighted to find new features being added...

Reactions: Drewbaloop
The self-parking was rolled out with AP1.0 and has never worked well. Lane keeping and adaptive cruise is pretty solid and useful. Auto lane changing is useless. I wish it could follow closer in adaptive cruise as folks constantly cut in front of me in rush hour even when set for the minimum car lengths.

The system is very good in many ways, but I would feel cheated if there were no updates as many features are still in Beta. I would expect Tesla to at least release a production version as I don't want to be a beta tester forever.

Everyone,

There are many more things to come with FSD, which is why for simplicity....I'm excluding owners of FSD from the question.

How many people are satisfied with their software if it never changes or if there is never another update?

I wouldn’t be satisfied for the $8k I spent. I’d say I might have $2500 worth at moment.

I’m expecting incremental improvements for a very long time.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Come on man, is this a real question?

The *sugar* lane keep assist on my Volt was *sugar* the day I got it. It will be the same piece of *sugar* the day I return it.

Keep bring on forward steps.

I'll allow the occasional step backwards in the name of progress. Not bitter I got AP2 instead of AP1 at last second.

I checked my wife's AP1 Model S and many features are still in beta. I suspect they will permanently be in beta. There was a new software update last night to add geo auto-folding mirrors, but all the beta non-sense is there. It leads me to believe that some of those features will get better as they mult-year beta test proceeds, but I doubt AP will get better on this car.

I'm still very new but I'm mostly pleased.

My biggest gripe thus far is the huge lag when resuming (TAAC) from a stop. The car in front of me is always 5-6 cars ahead of me for the first several seconds. They need a much more aggressive acceleration setting or something. Right now, it's stressful to use because I'm always concerned that the drivers behind me are getting annoyed (I know that I would be).

Reactions: hcdavis3
For me the two largest dissatisfactions with the current software (excluding any FSD related features) are:

Auto wipers (they are getting close, but not there yet)
Slacker (Give us a choice or at least pick a better service!)

Overall I feel like it’s pretty solid, I haven’t had any screen blackouts or software glitches and I’ve gone from 2019.8.3 - 2019.8.5 and now to 2019.12.1.1. But my one big gripe are the Auto Wipers which don’t work that great for me. If they fine tuned that or added some sensitivity settings in the software, I’d be perfectly content. It also wouldn’t hurt if they activated the tweeters in the a-pillars of my SR+ ;)

I'm really confused by Tesla's software rollout - I am still on 5.15. Looking at TeslaFi, 1.8% of Teslas are on this version.

I'm really confused by Tesla's software rollout - I am still on 5.15. Looking at TeslaFi, 1.8% of Teslas are on this version.

You may want to call in and see if your Tesla has failed downloading its prior software updates. If so, they can help move the process forward. Tesla also has the ability to push the software to you via LTE if you are not in WiFi range, as they did for me (for a different reason) this week.

You may want to call in and see if your Tesla has failed downloading its prior software updates. If so, they can help move the process forward. Tesla also has the ability to push the software to you via LTE if you are not in WiFi range, as they did for me (for a different reason) this week.

I think I am just on a slow update train.

Your 4 Software Updates

Average of 30 days between updates. It has been 12 days since your last update.

Software Version Date Installed Days Since Previous Update

2019.5.15 f5def7e 04/19/2019 8:50 AM 73
2018.50.6 4ec03ed 02/04/2019 4:25 PM 18
2018.50.5 c9323af 01/17/2019 11:24 AM 28
2018.44.2 3b2a5c3 12/19/2018 12:57 PM

This question is like asking how satisfied would you be with your life..if you could never take another breath.

OTA updates are like breathing to Tesla. Allows them to keep advancing the art of all electric transportation.

My X just got an update last night. Now it will supercharge about 30% faster, the video games have been greatly improved, the car will change lanes on it's own without prompts and go from on ramp to off ramp without driver assistance. Security cameras are now enabled to provide additional protection and to warn evil doers to step away. Will take their picture and archive it for prosecution if they persist.

I am getting older, and my driving skills are not as sharp as when younger. My goal is for my Tesla to get more capable as I get less capable. Should enable an additional 10 years of driving and independant transportation for me. A fantastic gift...

Speaking of gifts. For retired owners it will be a fantastic source of additional money when the cars can perform as driverless Uber service. An addtional $30,000/yr could go a long way towards making owners financially independant as well.

This question is like asking how satisfied would you be with your life..if you could never take another breath.

OTA updates are like breathing to Tesla. Allows them to keep advancing the art of all electric transportation.

My X just got an update last night. Now it will supercharge about 30% faster, the video games have been greatly improved, the car will change lanes on it's own without prompts and go from on ramp to off ramp without driver assistance. Security cameras are now enabled to provide additional protection and to warn evil doers to step away. Will take their picture and archive it for prosecution if they persist.

I am getting older, and my driving skills are not as sharp as when younger. My goal is for my Tesla to get more capable as I get less capable. Should enable an additional 10 years of driving and independant transportation for me. A fantastic gift...

Speaking of gifts. For retired owners it will be a fantastic source of additional money when the cars can perform as driverless Uber service. An addtional $30,000/yr could go a long way towards making owners financially independant as well.
Good post. I personally think we are quite a ways off from thte driverless Uber concept but I still agree with your comment.